Singlespeeding: One Year In- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Singlespeeding: One Year In

Gold Country Trails - Unifying the Trails Community

About this time last year, I wrote a blog post about my then new singlepseed. One year later, I find myself drawn more than ever to this bike. Out of my collection of rigs, it is certainly my favorite.

How did this happen? How did a bike which delivers one gear, exponentially more pain on climbs, and zero rear suspension become my first choice for fun?

There are a number of reasons, some of which are easier to understand for those who already attend the Church of One True Cog:

SIMPLICITY: The shifting system of modern bikes is precise. It is also heavy, complex, expensive and prone to misfire and even self destruction in mud and weather. I choose to ride this bike frequently in the colder months partly because of its simplicity. Hose it off, wipe it down and hang it up.

CHALLENGE: This is the part that non-singlespeeders find most confusing. They shake their heads as they see us standing up, grunting away at climbs on which they can gear down and ascend with relative ease. But here is the thing: I don't want "relative ease". Twenty years into this mountain bike thing, I look for different experiences, including hard ones that test my stamina and determination. I already know that my uber plush bike can zip down rock gardens with ease. Question is: how can I perform without all this technology?

WEIGHT: This point is easiest to understand: the bike is six pounds lighter than my full suspension pig.

TRAINING: When I compare my times on my usual local loops, the singlespeed almost always bring me in faster. Why? Because you have to go faster/work harder on climbs, there is no choice. See aforementioned Challenge section.

My singlespeed does not work well for all rides, I would never take it to Grouse Ridge, nor would I choose it for rides with exceptionally steep, prolonged climbs. But this bike has found a place on my local trails. And in my heart.

See article from last year:

Gold Country Trails - Unifying the Trails Community: Singlespeeding in Nevada County
    Last edited by Bike Daddy; 11-16-2012 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well said.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Ahhhh....the beauty of simplicity, easy is not, only the rider knows.
    Simple, not easy.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    May I add the beauty of silence.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post
    What? I can't hear you over my Hope SS freehub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
    That only means you need to pedal more!

...I also ride on Hope Evo SS hub, and love the sound, but when the cranks are turning, definitely love the peace and quiet brought on by my SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
    Nor can I with my White Industries Trials Freewheel

...and my SS is 10lbs lighter than my full squish.

Members who have read this thread: 0