SingleSpeedApolooza- Mtbr.com
    dwt
    mtbr member

SingleSpeedApolooza

I've never raced my SS and am thinking of doing this:

http://darkhorse40.blogspot.com/2010...-apolooza.html

Need gearing suggestions for Sport class on a 26'er from anybody who knows the course. I run 32:17 normally, but was advised by a friend to gear down to 32:19. That sounds way low to me, but then again it's a 28 mile race and apparently a fair amount of climbing. His theory is better to spin than mash and blow up.

Thx.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    just reg for the palooza the other day sport class was wondering the same thing myself about gearing will also be riding a 6'er and have a 36:18 now but ride mostly on LI, ny which is flat, but does have some climbing, have never ridden in that area though. may switch to a 36:20 for the race. good luck

mtbr member
    I raced it last year on 29er with 32x19. That said I will be deff going to a 32x16-17. There are no killer hills this is the most SS friendly course around. Old school vibe with a real grassroots feel, one race not to be miss. Friendly people,giveaways,kegs, and bbq what more can ask for...

mtbr member
    I did the race last year as well, sport class, I think I finished around 20th. I ride 29" wheels and used 34-22 gearing. This course is actually pretty flat compared to what I usually ride in Westchester. Last year the race was 20 miles, and I thought my gearing was just about right. I was spinning on some of the flatter sections early on, but later in the race it was perfect. I do tend to like easier gearing though, my normal ratio is 34-24!

The guys at Darhorse put on a great race! Kegs and awards afterwards. I am already sighed up for this year.

Mark

dwt
    mtbr member
    Wow, this question is the same personal preference sort of thing as 29'er vs. 26'er and tube vs. tubeless.

Using Sheldon Brown's gear calculator and assuming a 175mm crank, I come up with the following gear ratios:

34:22 on a 29'er = 3.3
    32:19 on a 29'er = 3.5
    32:17 on a 26'er = 3.6
    36:20 on a 29'er = 3.8
    32:17 on a 29'er = 4.0

Based on this, I'll probably stick with what I'm used to.

Next question: does ANYBODY else ride a 26'er anymore? Mine is so old school (circa 1999) the frame (steel) doesn't have disc tabs.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I don't think wheel size matters that much; 4th place in the Expert / Pro was on 26" wheels (With a 52" gear, 32x16).
    I ran a 53" gear last year (33x18 on a 29'er) and that was pretty good. I was thinking of going bigger this year, but I think they got rid of some of the fireroads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Planning on hitting this up.

@dwt I'm still rockin the 26. if its steel have your local builder weld on a disc tab and brace. I did that to my older norco nitro best $40 i spent on a bike

dwt
    mtbr member
    I run a v-brake in back and a disc up front and it works fine.

What gearing will you be running?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    Wow, this question is the same personal preference sort of thing as 29'er vs. 26'er and tube vs. tubeless.

Using Sheldon Brown's gear calculator and assuming a 175mm crank, I come up with the following gear ratios:

34:22 on a 29'er = 3.3
    32:19 on a 29'er = 3.5
    32:17 on a 26'er = 3.6
    36:20 on a 29'er = 3.8
    32:17 on a 29'er = 4.0

Based on this, I'll probably stick with what I'm used to.

Next question: does ANYBODY else ride a 26'er anymore? Mine is so old school (circa 1999) the frame (steel) doesn't have disc tabs.
    yup those old steel frames are surviving long enough for people to build them up SS
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    yup those old steel frames are surviving long enough for people to build them up SS
    FYI, when I built my SS 10 years ago, the frame was only a few seasons old: it's a Ted Wojcik custom. I converted it to SS once I switched my regular ride from hardtail to dualie. Had Wojcik remove the vertical drops and weld track drops on. Disc brakes were not the norm back then; never even thought about disc tabs.

Anyhow, I'm very attached to this ride and have no plans to scrap her for a 29'er or anything else.

Members who have read this thread: 0