Singlespeed for XC Racing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Singlespeed for XC Racing?

So I'm planning on entering a bunch of the cross country races in Oregon this year in the single speed category and I am looking for suggestions on what kind of bike to buy.

My budget is somewhere around $800. So far the only bike I've checked out is the Redline Monocog 29er. Really cool bike but I couldn't tell if it would be good for racing.

Do any of the bikes in this price range stand out as good for racing?

Welcome to the Gem...
    with the monocogs... go with the flight model. it's lighter, better steel, and has better components.

the GF rig (08) seems to be getting some acclaim lately. it's a bit more expensive, but would be worth it, prolly.

for racing... i think the main concern is having a light and strong wheelset, with proper tires for the course. most frames will get you to the finish line. if your legs make it, is a completely different story =P
    Ibis Tranny 29

is buachail foighneach me
    you could always look for something used as well. i've seen plenty of people race on monocog flights, and even the regular monocog.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    find yourself a Gary Fisher Rig (29'er SS).....think you can find a deal for about $1200......take the Fox F29 RL G2 (with 51mm rake) and sell it on eBay from $500 - $700 bones (the F29 G2 will not be available for about a year at the earliest and 29'er zealots loooooooove them)......find a nice rigid fork and you'll come out ahead.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Only thing about getting a rigid fork for the G2 Rig is finding one with the correct offset. It's gotta be near 51mm, which could (I haven't actually looked) be rare outside of a custom fork. Of course a custom fork from many different fabricators comes in way under the $500-700 you'd get for that G2 F29...

RIDE TO LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz
    Only thing about getting a rigid fork for the G2 Rig is finding one with the correct offset. It's gotta be near 51mm, which could (I haven't actually looked) be rare outside of a custom fork. Of course a custom fork from many different fabricators comes in way under the $500-700 you'd get for that G2 F29...
    On One makes a carbon rigid fork with 48mm of offset which is pretty close. That's what I am doing with my 08 Rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    check out eBay...There are plenty of good quality SS bikes\ frames that are within your budget and much more compelling than a Redline....And as The Sage already mentioned, go Rigid....

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I think going used is a great way to go.
    Last year I raced a converted '96 Stumpjumper, and a Soma Juice I got off ebay for $500.
    This year I'm going all Indy and racing a new Karate Monkey with those new fangled disc brakes, but that's only because I didn't like the way the Soma looked.

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Last year I raced a converted '96 Stumpjumper, and a Soma Juice I got off ebay for $500.
    This year I'm going all Indy and racing a new Karate Monkey with those new fangled disc brakes, but that's only because I didn't like the way the Soma looked.
    I'll second that...I "raced" (not very quickly ) my Monocog for a year. I got it used on eBay, and all I upgraded was the fork (stock is HEAVY); it did help that it came with Avid SD7s and Stylos...

Now I plan on racing my Karate Monkey...nothing wrong with the 'cog, I just drank the Koolaid

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Forgot to mention, I've got a Niner One9 size large if interested. Frame only, though I have a Kona P2 29 fork that works very well with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the responses. Right now, I'm leaning toward a rigid fork mainly because of price, fun-factor and that it would make a much better commuting / cyclocross bike.

How many people in the singlespeed division of these races are going to have rigid forks? Is that going to be a real handicap? (I want to avoid going to my first race and realizing that I'm in last place because I don't have the right kind of bike)

I haven't found the Monocog Flight but last night I tested out a GF Rig 06 ($1000) and a Kona Unit 29er ($1000). Both were pretty cool but the geometry of the Kona felt nicer to me.

GDS
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The 08 Rig geometry is different then 06. I think 1000 would be a bit high for the 06 Rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Assuming you are getting a 29er SS to race a rigid fork is the way to go. The wheels will overcome most the small momentum robbing bumps that XC race suspension handles and the overall setup will be lighter.

If you decide to run a 26er SS (still a valid option) you will probably want a fork up front. You will want something as STIFF as possible for the weight. Personally I love the new Magura Durin but on a budget a RockShox Reba is probably your best call.

i race a rigid surly 1X1.......she's pretty quick on the climbs.....but, i just finished my build on a racer-x ss......gonna give that a shot for the endurance stuff....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Racer-X 29 or 26?

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Quote Originally Posted by orlick
    How many people in the singlespeed division of these races are going to have rigid forks? Is that going to be a real handicap?
    I race in the geared expert class around here on my rigid SS (29). There are some courses where it can get pretty rough, but I don't mind. Just realize that getting used to rigid can take upwards of 3-4 months. If your upper body isn't so strong, it can be hard to overcome the initial soreness/jarring. And of course your hands/wrists take a beating too. It took my hands about 2-3 months to get used to rigid, but now I don't feel a thing until the 5 hour mark or so...

Just so I can post this beauty again...<p>

Quote Originally Posted by DrewM
    Racer-X 29 or 26?
    26"......04 frame.....specs here

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by orlick

How many people in the singlespeed division of these races are going to have rigid forks? Is that going to be a real handicap? (I want to avoid going to my first race and realizing that I'm in last place because I don't have the right kind of bike)
    A greater percentage of people riding/racing singlespeeds go rigid than geared riders do.
    I do not think that it is a limiting factor; the guy who wins the race probably would have no matter what they were riding.

Keep on Rockin...

Do tell...

Let me know what you think of the Soma vs. the KM.

Other "issues" aside I find the BB area of the Juice to be too flexy. Any coments on how the KM compares?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    Let me know what you think of the Soma vs. the KM.

Other "issues" aside I find the BB area of the Juice to be too flexy. Any coments on how the KM compares?
    I never noticed any flex out of the Soma's BB, but I'm only 135 lbs. Overall it's a great riding bike.
    The KM seems a little more maneuverable to me, and the Surly brand cromo has all the resiliency and ride quality of the Soma's Tange Prestige.
    Moreover the KM is black, which makes it infinitely cooler than the Soma (which is orange).

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz
    It took my hands about 2-3 months to get used to rigid, but now I don't feel a thing until the 5 hour mark or so...
    Well for me I don't feel a thing after the five hour mark, everything goes numb and jarring doesn't affect me that much... lack of fitness does.

As for racing XC, in elite class racers have the legs. Witty me can't compete with them no matter how advantageous my bike could be over theirs, they could be riding a 15" BMX and still kick my arse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I raced a OG redline monocog, the red 26" 110spaced v-brake only red version last year, and will probably race it this year also. I am running a kona butted p2 v-brake only fork which saves a bit of weight, but I'm running redline flight 2 bmx cranks and a 34t profile ring, so the whole bike still isn't very light 25-26# I think, but it fits and I like how it rides.
    I had a 18" 03 unit running a mullet rigid which was nice, but the top tube was a little on the short side so I sold it to a nice female racer who got to race it once when her FS bike had a faulty rear derailer, she really liked how it rode and how light it was, later in the season I sold it to her along with my 2000 z2 atom 80 fork. Maybe should have kept the fork since I noticed I get fatiged hands and wrists at some of the races running the monocog rigid. Hadn't noticed the fatige when just ridding, but racing is not just ridding.

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks...

I never noticed any flex out of the Soma's BB, but I'm only 135 lbs. Overall it's a great riding bike.
    The KM seems a little more maneuverable to me, and the Surly brand cromo has all the resiliency and ride quality of the Soma's Tange Prestige.
    Moreover the KM is black, which makes it infinitely cooler than the Soma (which is orange).
    While the red-orange is not bad on the Soma, you just can't beat black.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the guy who wins the race probably would have no matter what they were riding.
    Truth.

mtbr member
    The White Bros Magic IMV 29er fork is awesome. Set it up and ride....its smart! I'm way faster with the fork and my wrists don't take a beating....
    CruisenSurly

Members who have read this thread: 0