Singlespeed w/ cassette?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Singlespeed w/ cassette?

Hello gents (and gals I'm sure). Long time listener, first time caller...I want to build up my first SS. I'm using stuff my parts bin and going for the cheapest route possible. I have an old rear wheel but its "suppose" to be for cassette's, what's the best way to make 'er a SS? I've seen people use spacers and one cog, but my concern is with the constant use of that one gear on the cassette body. Wouldn't that cause premature wear on the place where the single cog is? Is there a single speed cog that fits on the entire a cassette body w/out using a spacers?

cheers all,

j a m e s

p.s. What's everybody opinion of the best chain tensioner? PAUL, Surly, etc...?

One gear to rule them all
    I've seen people use spacers and one cog, but my concern is with the constant use of that one gear on the cassette body. Wouldn't that cause premature wear on the place where the single cog is?

Not if it is a steel freehub.

Is there a single speed cog that fits on the entire a cassette body w/out using a spacers?

No, but there are wide base cogs: King, Boone, Surly, Spicer, Spot. If you had a cog with no spacers, you would not be able to adjust for chainline
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member
    i have a similiar question and idea that'd i'll post here. I'm going to building a SS also and i was thinking of using a cassette in the rear with a chain tensioner. That way, depending on the course, i could manually put the chain on the right cog in the rear. Anyone do this? i guess one downside might be chainline, but odds are I'd only be moving it between about 3 cogs anyway. Also, it might be a quick fix until i find the "right" gear for my abilities.

any thoughts?
    jeremyb

mtbr member
    I'm doing that now. I tried using a single cog from a cassette and also a Shimano BMX cog, and in just 1 ride it started to dig into my WTB lazer disc aluminum hub. I've since ordered a CK stainless 15t cog and until it arrives I'm using the spider portion of an 8 speed cassette. Ugly but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by homey
    Hello gents (and gals I'm sure). Long time listener, first time caller...I want to build up my first SS. I'm using stuff my parts bin and going for the cheapest route possible. I have an old rear wheel but its "suppose" to be for cassette's, what's the best way to make 'er a SS? I've seen people use spacers and one cog, but my concern is with the constant use of that one gear on the cassette body. Wouldn't that cause premature wear on the place where the single cog is? Is there a single speed cog that fits on the entire a cassette body w/out using a spacers?

cheers all,

j a m e s

p.s. What's everybody opinion of the best chain tensioner? PAUL, Surly, etc...?

i could manually put the chain on the right cog in the rear. Anyone do this? i guess one downside might be chainline, but odds are I'd only be moving it between about 3 cogs anyway. any thoughts?

You could do this, but your chain would have to be loose enough to pull it off one cog and fit around another. Also, you would have to re-adjust the tentioner so that the chain would align with the cog. It would be slow and a pain to do on the trail.

You could get one of these new bikes I hear about that have these fancy gear changer things. You don't even have to stop.

mtbr member
    You could do this, but your chain would have to be loose enough to pull it off one cog and fit around another. Also, you would have to re-adjust the tentioner so that the chain would align with the cog. It would be slow and a pain to do on the trail.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

I thought the Kore tensioner has a spring that allows it to auto adjust?

jeremyb

I thought the Kore tensioner has a spring that allows it to auto adjust.

That adjust the tention not the alignment to the cog. If you did not realign the tentioner to the new cog, the chain would derail or shift back to the old cog. Right?

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

how to do that right

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb
    i have a similiar question and idea that'd i'll post here. I'm going to building a SS also and i was thinking of using a cassette in the rear with a chain tensioner. That way, depending on the course, i could manually put the chain on the right cog in the rear. Anyone do this? i guess one downside might be chainline, but odds are I'd only be moving it between about 3 cogs anyway. Also, it might be a quick fix until i find the "right" gear for my abilities.

any thoughts?
    jeremyb
    forget the single pulley tensioner. instead use a light short cage old road rear derailleur. get a short piece of shifter cable with the ball end. stick the cable end into the derailleur's barrel adjuster pull it tight so the ball end seats in the barrel adjuster, then fasten the cable at the cable anchor bolt. now you can shift manually from gear to gear by turning the barrel adjuster. you stillhave to dismount so it is still a "singlesped" since you can only use one gear at a time.
    if the slight whirring noise of the toothed pulleys bugs you track down some untoothed pulleys. actiontec has them for their special cogsets, or do what I did, rob a pair from a '70s era Huret Allvit (Schwinn Varsity spec back then) rear derailleur. Toothless pulleys run almost silently, vs toothed ones.