Singlespeed Top Tube?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Singlespeed Top Tube?

After riding a SC Superlight for 4 years I wanted to try a SS. I found a used med GF Rig. I almost killed myself on my first ride. I can barely get the front wheel high enough to go over a curb. My med SC tt is like 22.7" and the med Rig is like 24". Is this the reason for not being able to bet the front wheel up? God help me when I need to go over a log. The bike shop I talked to said that SS normally have longer top tubes. IM 5'10" with a 32 inseam and can fit a large Superlight.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    After riding a SC Superlight for 4 years I wanted to try a SS. I found a used med GF Rig. I almost killed myself on my first ride. I can barely get the front wheel high enough to go over a curb. My med SC tt is like 22.7" and the med Rig is like 24". Is this the reason for not being able to bet the front wheel up? God help me when I need to go over a log. The bike shop I talked to said that SS normally have longer top tubes. IM 5'10" with a 32 inseam and can fit a large Superlight.
    The shop is full of it. SS toptube lengths vary from frame/brand to frame/brand just like any other type of bike.

Fishers have long top tubes. I have seen guys easily ride a Rig over a 2' log (cue Nat for pics). A hardtail SS does need a different riding technique than a geared fully.

Have you adjusted the stem length on your Rig to get your position close to what you are use to on the SL?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

what...

gear ratio are you running? I find it hard to pedal kick the front of the bike up at really slow speeds with any gear above 2:1.

MC

Nat
    mtbr member
    I also went from a Santa Cruz (Blur though) to a medium Rig. Like Shig said, "The shop is full of it." Reasons you're having trouble pulling a wheelie may include:
    1) Higher gearing than you're used to using when pulling a wheelie
    2) 29ers are harder to wheelie until you get used to it
    3) You're not used to the bar height
    4) A combo of all these, plus other reasons

Fret not, for once you get used to the new ride dynamics, you will indeed feel as if God is right there helping you when you get to log-overs.

Drevil has some good logover pics on his Karate monkey too. Drevil, can you repost a few?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nat; 10-10-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Cyclist
    Nat, this last picture. Did you make it over the logs? Looks like a daunting backside.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Nat, this last picture. Did you make it over the logs? Looks like a daunting backside.
    Hell yes. Both directions too. Kitten play.

Actually it was pretty challenging. I bit it over the one in the second pic pretty good on one of my attempts..
    Last edited by Nat; 10-11-2005 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    gear ratio are you running? I find it hard to pedal kick the front of the bike up at really slow speeds with any gear above 2:1.
    That would be for a wheelie. I usually do not pedal to pick up the front wheel to go over a log. only when I need to power wheelie in to a ditch or off a drop off.

I would say that you just need to get used to the bike some.

Things that could be the problem:
    a longer top tube could make it different
    you could have a longer rear end length. That changes your pivet point
    bars are lower
    you used to rely on the rebound of the front fork to assist and now it is not there

"Mr. Britannica"
    I The bike shop I talked to said that SS normally have longer top tubes.

What a load of shyte. It's a bike with one gear.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    I bet this reason is the main reason. Not only are the chainstays likely longer but the wheel diameter is greater. Both would make you need more effort to loft the front end.

mtbr member

29" wheels

The big wheels suck for pulling up the front end. At some point someone on MTBR posed that this may be partially due to the higher rear axle with resepect to the bottom bracket vs. a 26". Sounds logical to me. The longer chainstays generally required for 29" don't really help things, either. This is pretty much the only thing I don't like about how a 29" bike rides.

I agree with everyone else with respect to the TT length nonsense on SS vs. geared, but a longer TT won't help with lifting the front end, either (though it's less of a concern than the issues mentioned above).

mtbr member

wheelie v.s. manual

I guess your logs are smaller!

Acutally, I do a 1/2 manual or just bunny hop most logs. Sometimes, when I feel like it, I pull a wheelie just before the log and ride the wheelie over it, tons of fun and a great skill builder.

I bet the longer chain stays and bigger wheels are the issue here.

See 29'ers aren't the cure all!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    That would be for a wheelie. I usually do not pedal to pick up the front wheel to go over a log. only when I need to power wheelie in to a ditch or off a drop off.

I would say that you just need to get used to the bike some.

Things that could be the problem:
    a longer top tube could make it different
    bars are lower
    you used to rely on the rebound of the front fork to assist and now it is not there

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Gearing is 32x18. Looks like the stem is 90mm long with 30mm of spacers.
    Rig chain stay 144mm, SL 142mm. I guess I'll just have to become a better rider.

I also was thinking of getting the Gunnar Ruffian which also has a 24" tt for the med.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Gearing is 32x18. Looks like the stem is 90mm long with 30mm of spacers.
    Rig chain stay 144mm, SL 142mm. I guess I'll just have to become a better rider.

I also was thinking of getting the Gunnar Ruffian which also has a 24" tt for the med.
    Which gear do you use to pull a wheelie on your SC? I have 32/20 on my Rig and it's a lot taller than I used on the gearie. One thing I found out is that I have to start lofting my wheel much earlier than before, maybe an entire bike length before the obstacle. Then I picture doing a big, looping pull onto the log. Less snappy, more big, than with the 26er.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    The big wheels suck for pulling up the front end. At some point someone on MTBR posed that this may be partially due to the higher rear axle with resepect to the bottom bracket vs. a 26". Sounds logical to me. The longer chainstays generally required for 29" don't really help things, either. This is pretty much the only thing I don't like about how a 29" bike rides.

I agree with everyone else with respect to the TT length nonsense on SS vs. geared, but a longer TT won't help with lifting the front end, either (though it's less of a concern than the issues mentioned above).
    Not always. I find it very easy to loft the front wheel of my SlingShot. I can not wheelie worth a damn in the parking lot (with any bike) but on the trail the BigShot is easy to get the front in the air to get up and over or drop off of things.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    OK, I understand now on the wheelie. I used a 32x24 on the SC, but to pull the wheel over a curb I didnt need to pedal. I could just preload the SID and pull. Now I have to preload the Reba, pedal, and pull. It will hurt if mistime the log or curb.

Nat
    mtbr member
    OK, I understand now on the wheelie. I used a 32x24 on the SC, but to pull the wheel over a curb I didnt need to pedal. I could just preload the SID and pull. Now I have to preload the Reba, pedal, and pull. It will hurt if mistime the log or curb.
    You can still just pull without pedalling on the Rig. You just have to pull harder. I bet you get it nailed in no time.

Members who have read this thread: 0