This singlespeed stuff is f'ing cool!- Mtbr.com
    ballbuster

This singlespeed stuff is f'ing cool!

I finally got my newly built SS on some dirt today.

I went to China Camp with every intention of doing one short loop (6 miles) on the SS and one long loop (12 miles) on the gearie FS. Screw it! I did the long loop on the SS and had a total blast. I got into the first climb, and had a big fat grin on my face, and just kept going.

SSing does give you a whole new perspective on the MTB experience, eh? No more hammering at 30 mph down a hill, just a nice gentle stroll, unless a hill comes up, then it's an out-of-saddle desperate fight to survive! I love it!

Aosty set me up with a bunch of oldschool beater parts, and a Trek 8500 bonded and lugged alu frame, and I added some parts laying around my shop and lo and behold, a good time for under a C-note! It does look particularly ugly, because I was sanding and prepping it for paint, but I got impatient and just built the mufugger.

So my setup:

'90 Trek 8500 frame
    Cruddy steel Diamond Back brutally rigid fork
    LX threaded headset (traded for a beer, which I have yet to deliver)
    LX canti brakes with Koolstop pads and new XTR cables
    Dia Compe levers
    Cruddy old Nashbar rims on LX hubs with straight gague spokes, adapted to 135mm rear spacing and 21t rear sprocket mounted with lots of spacers
    Old worn Python Gold Elite 2.0 tires with Lunar Lite tubes at 30 psi (my only suspension)
    LX cranks with 38t middle ring only on LX BB
    Shimano M636 Freeride Pedals
    Zoom carbon flat bars
    Plain 'ole steel quill stem
    Specialized grips

I'll post a pic once I get my camera fixed, or talk a friend into lending me one.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 03-07-2004 at 09:52 PM.

semi-evolved simian
    RAWK ON!!! That's what it's all about Make sure to get some pictures posted won't ya!

Medium?

'Bout time.

Beg, borrow or steal a DH tire for the front. Tioga 2.3, or a Kujo 2.25. Run it just under 25psi, and you'll have all the suspension you'll ever need. Oh, and get a super wide dh riser bar; more leverage to help you climb, so you can swap that 21 for an 18 or 19.

That's a pretty nice frame to start out with.

"Mr. Britannica"

ssssshhhhhh

don't tell anyone

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    No more hammering at 30 mph down a hill, just a nice gentle stroll, unless a hill comes up, then it's an out-of-saddle desperate fight to survive! I love it!
    Sweet, but you haven't had fun until you have bombed down a hill on a fully rigid bike. Get a big tire for the front and let the arm workouts begin.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

ballbuster

Yeah, I did...

... to a small degree. I was taking stuff at CC at my Full Suspenison speed, and got my teeth rattled out and wrists pounded. It was a total frickin blast.

Fast Eddie is right, I need fatter tires. I did run the Pythons as low as I could get away with and that helped, but I need some 2.4s. I'm worried Imonna flat spot my rims.

I need fatty tires like his so I can do this:

http://www.tisnado.net/images/fasteddie.MOV

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

To the top at China Camp?

I ride China Camp a lot and have been itching to take my singlespeed there but I'm not sure I could make the long climb to the top, it's pretty steep. I guess I could around the back way. Just curious if people are climbing to the top up the steep way. (I think there's only 2 ways up)

I finally got my newly built SS on some dirt today.

I went to China Camp with every intention of doing one short loop (6 miles) on the SS and one long loop (12 miles) on the gearie FS. Screw it! I did the long loop on the SS and had a total blast. I got into the first climb, and had a big fat grin on my face, and just kept going.

SSing does give you a whole new perspective on the MTB experience, eh? No more hammering at 30 mph down a hill, just a nice gentle stroll, unless a hill comes up, then it's an out-of-saddle desperate fight to survive! I love it!

Aosty set me up with a bunch of oldschool beater parts, and a Trek 8500 bonded and lugged alu frame, and I added some parts laying around my shop and lo and behold, a good time for under a C-note! It does look particularly ugly, because I was sanding and prepping it for paint, but I got impatient and just built the mufugger.

So my setup:

'90 Trek 8500 frame
    Cruddy steel Diamond Back brutally rigid fork
    LX threaded headset (traded for a beer, which I have yet to deliver)
    LX canti brakes with Koolstop pads and new XTR cables
    Dia Compe levers
    Cruddy old Nashbar rims on LX hubs with straight gague spokes, adapted to 135mm rear spacing and 21t rear sprocket mounted with lots of spacers
    Old worn Python Gold Elite 2.0 tires with Lunar Lite tubes at 30 psi (my only suspension)
    LX cranks with 38t middle ring only on LX BB
    Shimano M636 Freeride Pedals
    Zoom carbon flat bars
    Plain 'ole steel quill stem
    Specialized grips

I'll post a pic once I get my camera fixed, or talk a friend into lending me one.

Expert Pushing SSer

Isn't it though!...

... to a small degree. I was taking stuff at CC at my Full Suspenison speed, and got my teeth rattled out and wrists pounded. It was a total frickin blast.

Fast Eddie is right, I need fatter tires. I did run the Pythons as low as I could get away with and that helped, but I need some 2.4s. I'm worried Imonna flat spot my rims.

I need fatty tires like his so I can do this:

http://www.tisnado.net/images/fasteddie.MOV
    All I can dream of anymore. Check out the Panaracer Fire 2.4 FR tires for the front. I have to lower the pressure to 0 or rock it through the spaces between knobs to get the d@mn thing in . It is a super cool tire at about 25-28 psi.

Have fun!

Mike
    Tuff Schist

Probably drunk right now

To quote me....

Quote Originally Posted by mountain bike
    I ride China Camp a lot and have been itching to take my singlespeed there but I'm not sure I could make the long climb to the top, it's pretty steep. I guess I could around the back way. Just curious if people are climbing to the top up the steep way. (I think there's only 2 ways up)
    I haven't been on a climb that I couldn't walk....

If the climb is worth walking, then the descent is worth the pain...

ballbuster

I didn't do the...

... road climb ot the Nike site at the top on the SS, but someday I will. I can clean easily on the gearie, but it takes me a while. That grade is pretty steep and seems to go forever.

That climb is just a steep paved road, but I still like the challange of getting up there in a timely fashion without blowing up, and of course the view is spectacular. That's my reward for sweating it out.

Medium?

I walked some

up the paved part to the top, from west to east I'm pretty sure. I wanted to drop off the steeps from the very top to the north, but I chickened out on all but the smaller one. If someone had a good camera I probably would have done it.

ballbuster

Camera fixed! Here it is:

(semi-x-post from Passion)

And, I managed to fix my digital camera! Woo Hoo! Dang, there is a lot of tiny stuff in there, I tell you what!

It's a total blast to ride, but I tell ya, that 38*21 gear has a cruising speed on the flats of around 9 mph at a good cadence. Any higher and I would have issues with climbing anything terribly steep. I rode it to the hardware store today, and I was bouncing all over the place trying to make speed.

Dang, still needs paint bad.