Singlespeed specific chains?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Singlespeed specific chains?

I tried a quick search and came up empty, so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. What I want to know is this: Is it necessary/safer to use a chain specifically designed for singlespeeds (PC-1 is what I'm currently running)? The reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to replace that chain, and it dawned on me that the quick link that I carry with my tools is for the chain on my geared bike (PC-9 I think). So, is it okay to run the same chain on both bikes or not?

pants on head retarded
    Most recommend using a regular old multispeed chain since that's where the R&D goes.

In the end I spose it all depends on your cog and chainring widths. Mine are all 3/32 so I use a standard 9 spd chain. If your cog and chainrings are 1/8, then you're looking at the PC-1 and comparable.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i run a kmc k810sl. It's a pretty cool looking and strong 3/32" bmx chain.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    KMC 610 here...

I like dirt
    +1 on the kmc k810. Thing is built like a tank...
    Like Guinness, SS MAKES YOU STRONG !!!

mtbr member
    +1 on the kmc k810.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    KMC 710SL, 710, cheap 8spd chain, D101, KMC X9SL... they all work pretty well. I like my D101 and X9SL the best right now. The D101 is a bushing chain and pretty strong but heavy. The X9SL is lighter, probably a little weaker but so far has been my most flawless chain yet (only because it is much lighter than the D101).

mtbr member
    I use a basic KMC 1/8" BMX chain with a plain ol' master link. I can pop the master link to clean my chain, freewheel, and chain ring and not have to slide my wheel forward and
    re-tension the chain as I would have to do with a power link and SS drop outs. And at under ten bucks apiece, I change 'em twice per season. Haven't busted one yet.

Jul 2006
    k810sl (on my dirty puss)

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    k810sl (on my dirty puss)
    yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

Schipperkes are cool.
    I used to run any 3/32" 8 or 9 spd chains, but now I spin up the Carbon Drive Gates belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Currently using a KMC D202. Full-bushing supported rollers and smooth as silk.

mtbr member
    if you're into 1/8" chains, bmx riders love the KMC z510hx "dropbuster" chain. it's very tough, doesn't have scary holes drilled through it, not very expensive. the 710 Kool chain is notorious for stretching rather quickly.

mtbr member
    kmc kool Chain 3/32 its heavy as hell but i have not broken it yet and i have been on it for a year.

Single Speed Nation
    has anyone ever actually broken a chain on a SS?

Now that I think about it, that wouldn't be the best situation in the world. With a normal geared bike, you just remove a couple of links, reassemble, and you're on your way. however, with a singlespeed....I don't think I have enough play in my EBB to remove a link.

is buachail foighneach me
    Sram 8sp, and I've broken a chain riding SS. User error though, as I let it get too loose a couple of times to where it twisted off the ring. It failed due to pin/plate separation. Carry a few extra links and connectors with you.

WWYD?
    After breaking several SRAM PC-1 chains over the years I've taken the LBS's recommendation and bought a D.I.D. track chain. They're made to track racing specs and are really strong. I just replaced my chainring after a year and half and measured the DID chain and it stretched very little, maybe .20 on the chainchecker scale. Expensive, cost $65, but it's on it second year now.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I'm running a KMC Z410 with a Surly cog in the rear and soon a Salsa 32 chainring in the front. No problems so far.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss

Now that I think about it, that wouldn't be the best situation in the world. With a normal geared bike, you just remove a couple of links, reassemble, and you're on your way. however, with a singlespeed....I don't think I have enough play in my EBB to remove a link.
    i've broken alot of chains, and it's usually in a situation where chain breakage can be painful. It's alot more dangerous than people think. There's another thread in here where a guy dropped his chain and he ended up with a concussion, a few broken ribs, etc.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i've broken alot of chains, and it's usually in a situation where chain breakage can be painful. It's alot more dangerous than people think. There's another thread in here where a guy dropped his chain and he ended up with a concussion, a few broken ribs, etc.

agreed. breaking a chain on the SS is usually WAY worse than on the geared bike...i always break them on the climbs. i've been breaking a couple chains a season, now i use the 1/8 shadow conspiracy chain.

it's already lasted longer than any other chain i've used (several kmc models, sram, etc.)....and i'm happy to take the weight penalty if it means no more knees/face smashed into the fork/stem.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Pwning Trails
    Running a 9speed LX chain after moving from sram single speed chain. Used to throw the single speed chain multiple times / ride. 9speed chain haven't thrown it yet.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    i broke a Z51 coming up my driveway on my way home after a ride. thomson stem right between my junk and hip. actually bled quite a bit and bruised pretty bad for a few weeks.
    still not as bad as breaking a chain full speed on a bmx bike though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

I dig trails!
    I've had great luck with a Sram PC-1.

And running it 34x16 on a 26er (do I have to call it that now? )

P

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I've had great luck with a Sram PC-1.

And running it 34x16 on a 26er (do I have to call it that now? )

P
    LOL, IMHO, Sram PC-1 chains suck.

34X16; do you climb with that combo?

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    LOL, IMHO, Sram PC-1 chains suck.

34X16; do you climb with that combo?
    I race with that ratio, without issue with a PC-1, hence the non-sucking IME.

P

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I race with that ratio, without issue with a PC-1, hence the non-sucking IME.

P
    The only positive thing about that chain is the connector link. After breaking I can be back riding in less than 5 minutes.

JustRide44
    these chains are kinda neat- don"t have to adjust ebb/sliders/HACS as much...cool looking too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

local trails rider
    I need to start looking around for Shimano CN-7701 prices again. A 3-pack should last me a while.

Members who have read this thread: 0