Singlespeed SHMINGLESPEED!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Singlespeed SHMINGLESPEED!!

People, you need to come to terms with the fact that bicycle technology has moved forward. One no longer needs to stand up and mash ones knees or dismount to climb steep hills or even back-pedal to stop. 'GEARS' lads, gears are the answer. They aren't that hard to adjust and they enhance the riding experience.

mtbr member

choice, cholo

Quote Originally Posted by Panacea
    People, you need to come to terms with the fact that bicycle technology has moved forward. One no longer needs to stand up and mash ones knees or dismount to climb steep hills or even back-pedal to stop. 'GEARS' lads, gears are the answer. They aren't that hard to adjust and they enhance the riding experience.
    we ride ss because we choose to. we reide ss because we like to ride bikes, and we're unencumbered by shifting.

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

LOL I got a very nice gearie I'll sell ya....

and I mean very very nice w/less than 200 miles on it. If you like
    gears that's great, you can have em.

-V V V .
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

Expert Pushing SSer

Yeah, and I was/am....

Quote Originally Posted by Vȑ*V͐*V̇*?
    and I mean very very nice w/less than 200 miles on it. If you like
    gears that's great, you can have em.

-Vȑ*V͐*V̇*?.
    getting to the point where I pick my SS with parts from all over the country (and over seas too), over my Ti geared hardtail with hand selected parts (intermediate chi chi factor), and she seems to flip me the finger everytime I go to release the SS from the bowels of the basement .

Mike
    Tuff Schist

Out spokin'

Here's the deal, Panacea...............

We won't tell you it's dumb to ride multiple gears and you won't tell us it's dumb to ride just one gear. K?

Bicycle technology has indeed moved forward. That includes bicycle technology for singlespeeds.

Run what ya brung, bro. And enjoy!

--Sparty

disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    "I wonder about people that get so passionate about their particular Biking style preferences that they can't converse in a normal manner."

-Panacea

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

very true

One no longer needs to stand up and mash ones knees or dismount to climb steep hills or even back-pedal to stop.
    Oh so true, but we can and do

YO MAMA

mtbr member

Obviously....

our Mr. Panacea got his butt kicked by a singlespeeder, now he trying to take out the rage on the board. Didn't you once post about riders egos...well what else could have brought the topic of this post out of your brain?

We like no gears and no suspension, and your comments won't change that. Now get back to passion or wherever you came from, we've got gear ratio's and such to discuss, unless of course you have a serious Singlespeed question!

Oh...and to quote Weather....READ THE FAQ! Maybe the FAQ will better explain our biking desires.

MC

Des(s)ert Rat
    I like to ride my bicycle, I like to ride my bike. I like to ride my bicycle, I like to ride it where I like....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why stop at gears! Put an internal combustion engine on it and you won't have to pedal at all, just shift the gears. And if you put 2 more wheels on then it won't fall over and you can carry lots more stuff. You could even figure out how to make it change the gears itself! The result - The Hummer - a spectacular example of technology moving forward.

Just ribbing you. Ride your bike, let other ride theirs. We got more in common than not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

LOL!!! I thought I was being reasonably coherent

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    "I wonder about people that get so passionate about their particular Biking style preferences that they can't converse in a normal manner."

-Panacea

(note the big grin in this and my original post. what could one safely assume that might signify?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I recall no butt kicking MellowCat

although I did suffer a mild concusion as a result of a recent bike-crash (geary of course) so perhaps I have forgotten
    more likely I have supressed the memory and it now resides in the depths of my feeble brain. A shame one can't empty that particular trash can I'm sure it's clogging my hard-drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    our Mr. Panacea got his butt kicked by a singlespeeder, now he trying to take out the rage on the board. Didn't you once post about riders egos...well what else could have brought the topic of this post out of your brain?

We like no gears and no suspension, and your comments won't change that. Now get back to passion or wherever you came from, we've got gear ratio's and such to discuss, unless of course you have a serious Singlespeed question!

Oh...and to quote Weather....READ THE FAQ! Maybe the FAQ will better explain our biking desires.

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The page cannot be found

...and to quote Weather....READ THE FAQ! Maybe the FAQ will better explain our biking desires.

MC

Can't access the FAQ page. I'm not very keen to read it to be truthful. I find FAQ sheets to be long-winded and riddled with innacuracies. Not unlike myself really

mtbr member

Jeeze,

Now I feel silly for selling my decked out Heckler to buy another SS.
    Come to think of it my dumb friend Dan sold a nice geared bike for a SS last month.
    What's going on here and why are we so damn fast
    jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

G'Day Mate

Panacea your an Aussie too!<hangs head in embarrassment> C'mon sser's are a friendly bunch, we don't buy into all that my bike is better than your bike nonsense. As long as your out on a bike having a good time, everyones happy! Well aren't they???(Dosn't quite sound like you are?) Maybe you should borrow a ss and have a go, or just come for a ride, then drink some beers... We're not freaks, just people who like having fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ok

I do agree that we SSers probably talk about the fact that we ride bikes that only have one gear combo WAY too much. I know I do! That's because the feeling of actually peddaling my bike is F-ing Beautiful! Oh sure, bike technology has eveolved so much that you can when you feel yourself pushing your own weight and god fobid SWEATING you can just flip to the
    next gear and WOW it's like you're not even peddaling at all! No thanks. I ride my bikes because I like the feeling of riding them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ... Good stir!

... gears are the answer...
    The answer to what? The bike industry's need for rapid obsolescence and fragile components? My LBS reckons that sales of derailleurs, cassettes etc are a substantial part of his turnover. He's hoping SS doesn't catch on.

...they enhance the riding experience...
    Well, that's exactly the problem. Most people in this forum regard gears as detracting from the riding experience.

Once you get your SS legs, you don't want to go back.

Come over from the dark side

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Faq -

FAQ works everytime for me, but I know others have your same issue from time to time.

Can't access the FAQ page. I'm not very keen to read it to be truthful. I find FAQ sheets to be long-winded and riddled with innacuracies. Not unlike myself really
    Not much with a single speed to be inaccurate about!

Here's the best part to read for the non-SS'er. I like the TAO of Singlespeeding the best.

http://www.trianglemtb.com/pages/passion/whySS.html

Have you ever singlespeeded? Seems like its time you tried it. You never know, you just might like Green Eggs and Ham.

MC

mtbr member

smokeses

I like my SS bikes because I kick ass. If I rode a geared bike, I would fret every time I hear that chian slap on the trail. On the road, something else to worry about. Not shifting leaves more room in my brain to think of other stuff while I ride, like my daughter Annabel, work, websites I need to work with, etc. If I had gears, I'd be like: what gear am I on? then look down, oh, ok. then shift for a small hill and feel like a dunce for shifting.

Gears, SS. It's like comparing an apple to an orange. But if you eat them, they go down the same poop shoot, right?

Gears, SS, they're bikes alright. Just ride what you prefer. A lot of us ss'ers won't or don't go back to gears for some reason...
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 10-20-2004 at 05:56 AM. Reason: image

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWay Ray
    C'mon sser's are a friendly bunch, we don't buy into all that my bike is better than your bike nonsense.
    Really?
    October 11, 2004?

I always feel that the ego BS is the one thing distracting from the purity of SS'n. More so than the rampant alcohol abuse . If it were an argument about who rides the fastest, we could look at Travis Brown's valiant efforts riding a SS in professional dirt crit events and taking 5th. Or we could discuss the paucity of SS competitors in other professionally sanctioned race events. When is the last time you saw a SSer take the podium in a World Cup event? If you compare equivalent riders on these two different breeds of bike who would really be faster?

dd..''

.................................................. .......................

Retro Grouch

Idea! Single Speeders love to be challanged..

(note the big grin in this and my original post. what could one safely assume that might signify?)
    and sarcasm doesn't work well on the internet./

1G1G, Brad

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by dodjy
    Yeah that second to the last paragraph was a little egomaniacal, but read the very last line of that entry carefully. It was just a bunch of horsing around with friends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Weather?!?

The weather must really suck in Australia right now! I know it suck here in Canada. If it was nice out Panacea would probably be too busy riding to worry about something like this.

Every group out there is just as bad as singlespeeders, fanatic about their ride. Seen a freeride bike lately?!? Damn, when is Yamaha gonna come out with one!

XC, no less fanatical. VPP, 4 bar linkage? Need I say more...

But regardless if it was nice out... Panacea wouldn't be talking trashing in this forum, and we'd be too busy to notice anyway...

Scott

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by AscentCanada
    Seen a freeride bike lately?!? Damn, when is Yamaha gonna come out with one!
    Honda beat them to it!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Yeah that second to the last paragraph was a little egomaniacal, but read the very last line of that entry carefully. It was just a bunch of horsing around with friends.
    Yep, saw that. It did have a redeeming quality. And on a side note, I enjoyed your post on scorching much more.

dd.''''

mtbr member

Righteous

The best way to be right is to make good choices for yourself.

The best way to be righteous is to try to make those choices for others.

Hammer on!

Mike

Des(s)ert Rat
    Ya know, when the small q and the small g look so similar underlined it looks like you're calling him names for not finding the FAQ page.

Just an observation.

I'm taking my Surly out to play today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    And here I thought you were talking about this or this.

dd..'''

PS. Congrats on the new Kelly, she's a beaut.
    Last edited by dodjy; 10-20-2004 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Eh?

I ride SS because it hurts more that way. Plus it helps me get strong like bull...

wait a minute....

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

One gear enhances the riding experience and doesnt have to be adjusted.

Probably drunk right now

yawn

Ride what you like. Like what you ride.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    In general I've found that single speeders have parents that were first cousins. The prefer polka music, though usually with a latin beat. They also tend to wear underwear that is 3 sizes too small. That would explain their afinity for single speeds.

Hopefully by saying something even more outragous than Panacea did, people would realize that I'm joking.

Ride what makes you feel good and make sure you HATE everyone that isn't exactly like you.
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

ali'i hua

i was hoping the smily was there to signify sarcasm. ither that or someone was undoubtedly going to throw something in there about "got passed by a SSer one too many times?"

smoked a gearie lately? (where's my pack of smokes?)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

So you all ride with a gear ratio of 1?

Otherwise, you're riding a geared bike and cheating. (Insert appropriate smiley face here for however you take this comment).

mtbr member

Mellow Cat will kick your shifting monkey gluteus on his SS

although I did suffer a mild concusion as a result of a recent bike-crash (geary of course) so perhaps I have forgotten
    more likely I have supressed the memory and it now resides in the depths of my feeble brain. A shame one can't empty that particular trash can I'm sure it's clogging my hard-drive.
    Panacea,
    Your argument is vague. Ride and shut up!
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

No name...

calling intended! Sorry, forgot to write FAQ in all caps.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Ya know, when the small q and the small g look so similar underlined it looks like you're calling him names for not finding the FAQ page.

Just an observation.

I'm taking my Surly out to play today.

mtbr member

I will?

I'll do my best to out spin him atleast!

Did you look up the ratios we were running by any chance? I bet yours was an "easier" gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Panacea,

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I ride singlespeed because I want to ride singlespeed. Personally, I could care less about the advancement in gear technology. Until you flip the bill for my bikes, stay out of my biking business. If you like riding geared bikes, then good for you. Don't tell me what to ride. PERIOD!

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaledog
    Otherwise, you're riding a geared bike and cheating. (Insert appropriate smiley face here for however you take this comment).
    Semantics make me so hot.

Peace, brothahs...

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

mtbr member

Mello - You were ridding a bigger gear

I'll do my best to out spin him atleast!

Did you look up the ratios we were running by any chance? I bet yours was an "easier" gear.
    You were ridding a 1.9 (As I remember 34/18) and I was at 1.8 (36/20). I should have gone with a 2 (36/18) for Nebo that day. I have ridden the ratio you had and it does make a big diference. I was not tired at all, I just could not go fast on the flats, which is my bad for bad gear ratio selection.
    Anyways, you are a good rider (spin master). Now, it almost looked like the fact that you had a freewheel hub made a diference. There was a thread about this stuff where you calculated some numbers.

Dude,
    How many millions did you spend on your bike?? I was checking the prices on your component group and man! You put some serious cash on that baby. That is one sweet rig.

Are you selling the surly fork? Is it suspension corrected?

I need an ENO ecentric wheel, Does anyone have one for sell?
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

I prefer...

not to add up what the Spot costs...! I sold off tons of stuff to pay for it, figured it would be my main rig, and it is. No real money came out of pocket since I dumped so many other "toys" for it. I want a Karate Monkey to try out the 29'er thing, but the Spot is where its at for me, fits like a glove, it will become a family heirlom.

Not sure on the Surly fork yet, should know later this week still. My K2 that the one guy was riding at Nebo is up for sale, if it sells then yes, the Surly fork is going since I'll be getting a KM to build up full rigid.

You are way fitter than I! I'm glad you didn't have a 2:1 gear, I would have never seen you on trail! For the record, I was tired. All that "turbo" spinning wears me out. Maybe the KM will be a fixie....

I guess nobody liked my engineering approach to understanding the "King" advantage. Too bad, from what I measured its minimal, but hey, if they like to spend for the bling then who am I to stop them! Bling away, after all I have some bling on my bike too, hopefully it lasts forever so I can feel good about the extra expense though.

MC

You were ridding a 1.9 (As I remember 34/18) and I was at 1.8 (36/20). I should have gone with a 2 (36/18) for Nebo that day. I have ridden the ratio you had and it does make a big diference. I was not tired at all, I just could not go fast on the flats, which is my bad for bad gear ratio selection.
    Anyways, you are a good rider (spin master). Now, it almost looked like the fact that you had a freewheel hub made a diference. There was a thread about this stuff where you calculated some numbers.

Dude,
    How many millions did you spend on your bike?? I was checking the prices on your component group and man! You put some serious cash on that baby. That is one sweet rig.

Are you selling the surly fork? Is it suspension corrected?

I need an ENO ecentric wheel, Does anyone have one for sell?

Lazy People Suck
    Zion,

Are you going to make MTB fest in Brown County this weekend? It should be a really good time. I think I sent you an email on the schedule of events. If you bring the SS to Valley Branch, I would recommend an easier gear. I usually run 34:17 at Nebo and a 34:19 at Valley Branch or Gnaw Bone. I am leading the Nebo Ridge ride Saturday at 4:00 and will be on my ByStickel SS.

I look forward to riding with you as I don't think we have ridden together yet.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Panacea,
    Originally Posted by Panacea

What aspect of my arguement are you unclear on Zion? If you are having trouble comprehending the paragraph above you have been riding SS too long or have taken one to many hits to the scone. Wear a helmet, get some remedial/special education in basic english, and get some gears man. They rule!

Whatever! Just crash it!
    I've enjoyed reading people's reactions to this. I even made a sarcastic remark myself. I'm now drunk enough that I thought a serious answer was in order...

If you're serious, then you may be the one that is missing out. I've got two of the highest tech bikes from the last few years... an Ellsworth Truth and an Ellsworth Id -- both decked out with the latest and greatest components. They both sit at home collecting dust because I'm having so much fun riding the 15 year old hardtail that I converted to a rigid single speed. Its light. Its fast. It makes me a better, stronger rider.

I know I'll get back on the Ellsworths early next year. I don't imagine them ever getting more than 50% of my riding time though.

Time to go drink more. I need to get past the philosophical stage and go straight to stupid inibriation. :P

Peace!

Peter