Singlespeed riding is just plain fun- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Singlespeed riding is just plain fun

I bought my first SS (a SE Racing 29er/SS) a couple of months ago. The only real changes to this $400 simple beauty was some BB5s and clipless pedals. In a short period of time, I've been able to ride most (not all) of the trails I ride on my geared bike, and on my last ride, I could actually say I didn't miss gears or a sus fork. I've become a more efficient rider, I have more fun, and I never have to think about which gear to be in, check the oil or pressure of my fork, or worry about how to get up a climb. It's either sit or stand. The fun has returned to riding. There are times that I'm breathing so hard I see stars, and one or two steep, long climbs are still done on foot. But, I really enjoy riding again. Thanks to all you SS folks that posted here. It has made a real positve difference for me.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    I'm in the process of building up an old GT frame as a singlespeed and I can't wait. It sounds like you are having a blast on your new bike, and hopefully soon I will join the ranks of singlespeed riders.

Out spokin'
    Cool!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I was reading the OP with a smile spread on my face. Awesome!

singletrack bound
    It's funny how simple things can make one smile....I like the OP... "I didn't miss gears" and "I have more fun"..or..."The fun has returned to riding".....This is what SS is all about. You may not go as fast as a geared bike at times but the fun factor of SS is up there. I'm going out to ride right now!

mtbr member
    I came across another rider on the trail today. We both had finished our SS builds in the past few months. Just so happened we were both riding Jabberwocky's...and the thing we kept agreeing on, was how much fun the SS concept brings back to riding. I've always said, it's just like being a 5 year old all over again. Sit, stand, coast, smile...repeat.

Just plain and simple fun.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by iKona40
    I came across another rider on the trail today. We both had finished our SS builds in the past few months. Just so happened we were both riding Jabberwocky's...and the thing we kept agreeing on, was how much fun the SS concept brings back to riding. I've always said, it's just like being a 5 year old all over again. Sit, stand, coast, smile...repeat.

+1 ......That's what I'm on too..........What he said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iKona40

Yep, I love the simplicity. Oil chain, top of tires, hit the trail. The only variable is my effort level. The only sound is that of my breathing and the tires on the trail. I am 6 rides in on my new Jabber/ODIS. I only know of two other Vassagos in this town, and I have yet to see them out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Now go back to your geared bike and you'll be amazed how easy it is.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Great thread here....I too love SSing....bling, retro, vintage, etc....it's all good, all fun.

USB Rep'n
    Good stuff man, good stuff. I rode SS 26'ers for years then got into the the whole freeride thing and bigger bikes. Just last week I picked up a SIR9, immediately set it up as a SS and got a few rides in this weekend so I feel like I'm discovering the joys of it all over again. You summed it up well, it makes the ride more fun...period. Oddly, I showed my new ride to a friend after one of the rides and while he loves the bike, he asked if I hated myself. I wondered and asked what he meant and it turns out he was referring to the whole SS thing. I laughed a bit and told him that its really impossible to describe but that he should borrow theh bike sometime and then let me know what he thinks. Wonder if he'll ever take me up on it but I bet if he does, we'll have another believer! Glad you're enjoying it!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have been riding my SS 29er since I bought last month and can not stay off it. I did ride my geared HT a couple a days ago and all I can say is WOW I feel like an animal now. My strength and riding ability has increased ten fold. I am way sold on the SS.

you do this at my size
    The Kool Aid is GOOOOD!!
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOAB
    The Kool Aid is GOOOOD!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterradork
    The fun has returned to riding.

Oh sooo true! My ratio of singlespeed rides to geared bike rides are something like 5:1. Singlespeeding, especially on a full rigid 29er, is the source!

Like others have said, when I do finally get back on my geared/front sus bike, I'm so fast/smooth now compared to how I used to ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Now go back to your geared bike and you'll be amazed how not fun it is.

There - fixed it for ya
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Got my SS rigid 29er in April.

Now I can't get off it to see how I am on my old geared bike.

And I don't care.

Kiss my Grits!

Two gears

I have owned a single-speed for a couple of years now, and have had a full suspension geared bike since '05. I was riding the geared bike so infrequently that I turned that into a SS also. So I guess I have two gears now, one HT racer and one FS (let's call it the sofa).

I don't subscribe to any holier-than-thou snobery, nor do I believe that SS is a "purer" form of mtn biking, I just like it better.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

Members who have read this thread: 0