Singlespeed revelation- Mtbr.com

Poll: What did you do today?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Bro
    Content from my avatar

Singlespeed revelation

I had a revelation while writing a paper for English (what else would I be thinking about?).

We singlespeeders, despite our best interests, are the dirty cousins who link hipsters with gearies. When asked why we do it, it's "because it's purer, it gets us closer to the bike and the experience."

"You just wouldn't understand."

**** bro, I feel more hipsterish already.

Do you admit to being a hipster?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Ovaries on the Outside
    No, cause I personally don't think that riding SS (or fixed) is more pure or anything like that.

I'd even argue against SS being the most simple, given problems people seem to have to set up.

People have a tendency to see things in black and white and attach themselves to new, fresh or interesting approaches. Currently, there is a certainly a social trend with hipsters, and part of the identity tied to the movement are fixed gears. In the mountain biking community, I'd say there is a 29er SS trend, so maybe they are getting lumped together. There are a lot of people who are scared or reluctant to embrace a new idea and then there is the other segment on the opposing side who eagerly proselytize based from feelings and generic party lines. Overly simplistic labeling doesn't appear out of the ordinary.

I've never felt particularly linked to hipsters and I have several SS and a fixed gear. If someone asks why I SS, I've moved to a response of "because I like it." It isn't because I feel more pure among the trees without a rear derailer, but because I'm pretty happy on a SS. Anything more and I think I'm over thinking the whole issue.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I don't particularly know why I SS either, it's more just because I like it better. I see those abominations on Craigslist sometimes where people take perfectly good road race bikes and convert them to SS. I don't like that, it seems wrong on a road bike. I once saw that someone had converted a Madone to SS, claiming it was the lightest bike ever. So what?!?! You just killed the bike by converting it to SS! I've been thinking about what it would be like to have a fixie, but I know that would just be a college beater commuter type thing. I like SS on mtb's though.

But in my essay, I wrote, "It's something you wouldn't understand." (In reference to SS -- it's a narrative that I'm writing.)

And then I realized that's the hipster thing to say. A week ago I spent my Friday night in a hipster den in the Mission district in San Francisco. And it was kinda cool. And I got scared that I'm turning hipster, and that SS is part of that reason. Even though I haven't ridden on the mountain since December. So I came here.

Apr 2007
    "Fixie" forums are hilarious. And those macaframa (or whatever the freak it is) videos on YouTube are funny as well. Gheyness galore.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    [This post was deleted......ironically]
    Last edited by skankingbiker; 05-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was looking at the purple and black SE Lager and thought to myself "I should buy it just to be cliche and ironic." Then I paused and did a kind of mental double take. "Did I really just think that?!"
    All of the true things I'm about to tell you are shameless lies.

mtbr member
    This denizens of this forum navel-gaze as much as any fixie forum. The lack of self-awareness is the biggest blind spot going.

I also agree that SS as unique is utterly bankrupt. People have been SS mountain biking since the first bikes were ridden off-road. But, carry on special snowflakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i am working an trying to breath life into an old raleigh grand prix frame by turning it into a SS hipster bike... maybe even a fixie if i can find a rear hub for something along the lines of free.

I'm converting it because it's rusting and never ridden and needs too many parts to make it a decent geared road bike again. but i can strip most everything off it modify a few parts and give it life...

Maybe i just want to be a hipster but don't know how...

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    K good.... I just found out that I'm far from being hipster... This dude isn't even a hipster, he says so himself.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bSJoD3YQenE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Low Rep Count
    Well back when i was racing road bikes I would convert my race bike to fixed in the winter. While this may be blasphamy to some it was soley for training. I was fortunate however, back then to have a frame that allowed me to do this as EBB's weren't around. The other option and the first one I employed before getting a different rear wheel (Mavic w/ a Phil Wood track hub) was to simply lock out my deraileur's which worked pretty good.

None the less, I would never consider myself a hipster. I'm not down with that way of life or those damn skinny jeans. I ride SS because I found it fun, gave me a good work out, weighed less, and forced me to work and get stronger. I would still ride a geared bike depending on the terrain as I would rather be pedaling than walking. But where I choose to ride does not require much of any other gear so I stick with ONE!

So there you have it. I spoke my peace and I am over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    I don't like that
    it seems wrong
    I like SS on mtb's
    I got scared that I'm turning hipster

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    hahaha thanks for the summation

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist
    Do I get a cookie now?

Are you gonna share?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icon149
    i am working an trying to breath life into an old raleigh grand prix frame by turning it into a SS hipster bike... maybe even a fixie if i can find a rear hub for something along the lines of free.

I'm converting it because it's rusting and never ridden and needs too many parts to make it a decent geared road bike again. but i can strip most everything off it modify a few parts and give it life...

Maybe i just want to be a hipster but don't know how...
    Make it a SS cyclo crosser or even a dingle speed with a single cog and front chainrings.

Guy who runs in our local cyclocross series has one and it is sweet! He uses a paul component melvin, but an old derailleur would work fine

EXORCIZE

Ride Natty Ride

I don't know about the hipster comparison, and I don't like the trendiness of SS because it makes strangers ask me annoying questions, but I do think SS is more "pure" - which is a useless word unless defined. Short of doing that, I'll just say that in most any pleasurable pursuit there are "purists" who are especially enthused by the simple, direct, unencumbered, natural, high-quality experience of the stripped down act itself. Can I convince anyone that FS is less "pure" than rigid SS? No. But neither can I convince anyone that Bob Marley's music is any more "real" than Britney Spears'. If that makes me a hipster, so be it.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I'm still not entirely sure what I was or was not thinking while/before/after starting this thread. I guess that's what happens from a combination of 3+Monster drinks in too short a time span and lack of sleep.

May this thread rot in hell.

/Thread, *****es.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Can people lock their own threads??
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Nope. But you can do it to others.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by the pope
    This denizens of this forum navel-gaze as much as any fixie forum. The lack of self-awareness is the biggest blind spot going.

I also agree that SS as unique is utterly bankrupt. People have been SS mountain biking since the first bikes were ridden off-road. But, carry on special snowflakes.
    I resemble that remark!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Could someone define what a hipster is in cycling terms? It means something somewhat different here in the UK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHill
    Could someone define what a hipster is in cycling terms? It means something somewhat different here in the UK.
    Here?
    Last edited by arphaxhad; 05-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    I didn't realize people put so much thoguht into this. I just happened to buy a mountain bike converted to singlespeed and bought it. I don't really like dealing with all the gears anyways. Sometimes I miss those gears when climbing hills but really I just don't like it. Maybe it's the sound when you switch gears that bothers me.

mtbr member
    1. No hipster would ever admit to being a hipster
    2. Hipsters do not ride mountain bikes
    3. You must drink a ton of PBR and listen to crappy music
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Where's the rave at? I can't find it.

openwound
    It started at 6pm today. Didn't you hear the noise..?
    -- let's ride

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    So, if you deny being a hipster, you're automatically a hipster. I already knew that. But what if you readily admit to being a hipster? Does that just make you a liar?

****. This thread was doomed from the start.

mtbr member
    So, if you deny being a hipster, you're automatically a hipster. I already knew that. But what if you readily admit to being a hipster? Does that just make you a liar?

What if I don't want to be a hipster though? Am I boned?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech
    What if I don't want to be a hipster though? Am I boned?
    It doesn't matter whether you want to be a hipster. The only criteria that matter in determining hipsterism are:
    A. admission of said hipsterism, AND
    B. number of plaid scarves owned.

mtbr member
    Exactly!
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    May 2011
    NO WAY could i be a hipster...i look horrible in super long scarfs.

Members who have read this thread: 0