singlespeed, possibly rigid, production- Mtbr.com
    Formerly DMR For Life

New question here. singlespeed, possibly rigid, production

hey all
    well i'm kinda in the market for a bike that i can ride clipped in on...since my doc. recommended that i rided clipped in to strengthen my leg muscles to reduce the strain on my knee and since my 14" Trailstar doesn't work so well for that consindering i'm 6'2"

I was thinking of something
    singlespeed for sure,
    possibly rigid,
    hopefully production or somthing that can be ordered built up
    preferably not 29er (due to cost) and
    was hoping to speed less than 500(CND)
    is there such a bike out there or is this a pipe dream?

this bike will be at least intially for riding around town paved paths some light gravel..no serious trail riding for a while but that might happen later so i would like a MTB not a roadie...and since it probally will get locked up out side sometimes i would like to stay a way from disks...i hope i haven't limited it so much that i can't find anything now

thanks for the help
    DMR
    Last edited by Full Mountain; 10-07-2005 at 11:21 PM. Reason: clarify

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Redline Monocog. Cheap, but not sure if it's under your budget or not.

Formerly DMR For Life
    anyone know of a email for seattle bike supply (PM me) just wanted to find a lbs in my area that carries redline
    thanks
    DMR

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    KHS has an ok entry level SS softtail - I'm not sure of the availability anymore but I know there was a bit of discussion about them here for a while http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_solo_one.htm
    MSRP: $549
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    KHS has an ok entry level SS softtail - I'm not sure of the availability anymore but I know there was a bit of discussion about them here for a while http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_solo_one.htm
    MSRP: $549

They always have them on ebay cheap, both the KHS solo one and redline Mono Cog. I got my Solo One for well under 300US shipped "lightly used: Redlines go for close to that too. Great way to get a single speed for cheap. I have no issues with mine so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Vote for Monocog

Steel Monocog, not the flight Aluminum version. The new Monocog has 135 spacing, the older ones have 110 BMX spacing which limits hub choices. Sometimes the mail order places will have them cheap. I've seen complete new ones for $350.

Formerly DMR For Life
    If only the Monocog was available in Canada...it appears that Redline doesn't have any distributor or dealers up here in the great white north

DMR

Steamroller

Solo-One over Monocog

I've owned both, both are great bargains retail and can be steals used. If I were looking to buy one I'd opt for the Solo-One over the though Mono-cog any day. I had a lot of little quality issues with the Redline, also I'd prefer my rear hub to be standard width not BMX width.

If you are a former BMXr and happen to have some Gucci BMX hubs laying around you could use them on the Redline.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Not sure what to type?

What about a conversion...

How about converting an old hardtail into a singlespeed.
    I'm working on coverting a 1994 Cannondale M500 into a singlespeed. I bought the bike for $200 and the conversion kit with new bars and stem only cost me $150.
    Oh yeah, it's a rigid too.

I'll post pics when it's done.
    Last edited by Hecklerboy; 10-10-2005 at 08:02 AM.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

Formerly DMR For Life
    yeah hecklerboy thats what i'm thinking i'm going to do since finding a half way decent bike for under 500 is a bit hard
    DMR

SS Clyde 29er

conversion is the way to go if ur new...

Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    yeah hecklerboy thats what i'm thinking i'm going to do since finding a half way decent bike for under 500 is a bit hard
    DMR
    that way you can build up a nice wheel and switch it over to your someday dream bike that you can save up for. an ENO hub can run u $70 and then you figure a rim, spokes, and build-up costs ...maybe another (40+35+35), $110 and you have half of a choice drive train. All you have to do after that is find a half assed frame to put it on and VIOLA! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Change my vote

I thought you were leaning to a new bike, If you don't mind used then thats a whole different thing. Old school steel bikes on mtbr classified and ebay are an even better choice. Find one from a good manufacturer for about $350 or less and you can convert it with an ENO hub or magic gear, see the SS FAQ. Some of the best bikes I've had are now retro, If I had money I've seen 20 or 30 beauties I'd love to convert, maybe a different SS for each day of the week, Old pre trek Fishers, Kleins, Bontragers, etc. Maybe if I could hide another bike in my shed without telling my wife, Hmmm!

Formerly DMR For Life
    well at first i was looking at a new bike but finding one for 500 wasn't going to happen so yeah...hoping to find a beauty and convert it..hoping not to have to build up a new wheel...and i figure i can convert a cassette hub for 30 bucks plus chain tensionor and the cost of the frame will hopefully end up a fair bit less than 500...which will work well because i need 200 for pedals and shoes (clipless)...now if only i could convince my parents to let me store my bikes inside hmmmm

DMR

Members who have read this thread: 0