Singlespeed Mantra- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Singlespeed Mantra

Been meaning to do it for years finally got round to it and stupid as it sounds it seems to ride a damn site better with the rigid front end, should have done it years ago!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by idoru
    Been meaning to do it for years finally got round to it and stupid as it sounds it seems to ride a damn site better with the rigid front end, should have done it years ago!
    What is that fork that you have on it? Cool looking rig.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    What is that fork that you have on it? Cool looking rig.
    Pace RC30, probably about 5 years only now and only available in UK nice and rigid, might fit a RC31 carbon legged one if I get on with the bike which I appear to be doing far better than I did when it had suspension forks ~ Sounds mad

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

cool bike

is it weird to have a squishy rear end but a rigid front? i'm sure it'd be hard to explain, but please, try!

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The ride is a little hard to explain, the front end steers like you would expect a rigid fork too, nice an accurate, tracks really well, somehow when you hit a larger bump the back end takes the shock away.
    The Mantra's were always a very active bike, moved all the time, bobbed if you climbed a hill seatted so you always got out of the saddle to climb, ideal for a singlspeed, me thinks
    I will have to take it out for a really good ride and report back, however at the moment I am well impressed, just need to get rid of the tensioner and get the chain length/gear ratio sorted.
    If you want to see more photo's check here
    http://gil1063.fotopic.net/c137798.html

Ride what you want!!
    Funny, I just was given my old Catamount frame that I gave to a friend a years or so ago. URT, with a slightly lower pivot. I could SS it up.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    You can get a Pace fork in the US....just call a UK dealer and they will ship to your door..

SS Slave

wait a minute....

... and if we just ... fsss

i just converted this recently.i have been wanting a ss but i prefer full suspension. this bike was parked for a year. dont know why i didnt try this sooner.the no bob setup works great for ss.

T 3
    X - Pensive Wino

Deja Vu Sorta

Is that a 1998 Mantra ? Looks like a Fox rear shock,which model ? I ride a ' 98,wondering about your set-up,back when yours was a double boinger,it should have climbed well without bobbing when seated.Seems as if the only manufacturer making rear shocks that fit my ' 98 is Cane Creek (cloud 9).Are you aware of any others ?

The ride is a little hard to explain, the front end steers like you would expect a rigid fork too, nice an accurate, tracks really well, somehow when you hit a larger bump the back end takes the shock away.
    The Mantra's were always a very active bike, moved all the time, bobbed if you climbed a hill seatted so you always got out of the saddle to climb, ideal for a singlspeed, me thinks
    I will have to take it out for a really good ride and report back, however at the moment I am well impressed, just need to get rid of the tensioner and get the chain length/gear ratio sorted.
    If you want to see more photo's check here
    http://gil1063.fotopic.net/c137798.html
    "There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
    -David St. Hubbins, Spinal Tap

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maggies

I got a Catamount and a spare rigid fork laying around. This makes me want to try it out as a rigid too.

So how do you like those Maggie brakes?

I was thinking about getting some of those for my XC Catamount ride.

mtbr member

give Risse a call about the shock

try http://www.risseracing.com/applications.html.
    I really like my Astro-5 on my SC Tazmon.

Quote Originally Posted by T 3
    Seems as if the only manufacturer making rear shocks that fit my ' 98 is Cane Creek (cloud 9).Are you aware of any others ?

poser Administrator

just like a slingshot

looks like it would ride just like a [URL=http://www.slingshotbikes.com/showroom/mountain/singleshot.cfm[/URL] which were super cool and still are super cool rides, just super different. Just like a mantra.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    is it weird to have a squishy rear end but a rigid front? i'm sure it'd be hard to explain, but please, try!

thanks.
    rumor has it that this is how gary klein rides his mantra- he felt that the rear sus was in the right place to suspend everything.

hmm. I've got a mantra or two lying around. el cheapo project time! get out the bin of parts.

btw- great lookin bike. question, though- ever had issues breaking the bolts that hold the rear shock in place?

mtbr member

Why the tensioner?

I am not sure why you have a tensioner on there. I jut built up my Karma and had no need for one with the horizontal drops? Is is a chain length issue with the cogs you had?

Buzz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Another Mantra SS

A month after I first bought this thing I decided I hated it and it just sat in the corner gathering dust. I converted it to SS last month jsut for something to do, and now I can't remember why I hated it. It sure handles better than I remembered. Maybe I should switch to a rigid fork too...

The frame is currently in-rout to Spicer for an EBB conversion. I probably could have managed with just the dropouts, but it tended to slip on drops and screw up the disk brake alignment. I was curious about the EBB conversion, anyway.

The man who fell to earth

Isn't this question....

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    is it weird to have a squishy rear end but a rigid front?
    ...best posed to this man?

JUST KIDDING! Please, don't send the PC SS after me.