Singlespeed Jamis Project- Mtbr.com
    KB1LQC

Singlespeed Jamis Project

Hey,
    Decided I wanted to try something different so decided to go singlespeed (or almost at least!). I have an '05 Jamis Durango Sport SX and didn't wanna buy a new casset so I opted to use a bunch of parts lying around to convert it to singlespeed for an adventure. I wussied out and kept 2 gears in the back at least until im used to it lol. Ill try my hardest not to tough the second gear. Im running a 32T in the front and a 16T in the rear, the second gear in the back is a 23T or something close to that, not sure I would have to go look again... Locked out the large front chainring because something needs to be there for the middle chainring to bolt on correctly, and i didn't have a bashring lying around so I just opted to lock it out. So enjoy the pics!

Specs on the setup:

SRAM PC-68 Chain
    Shimano Deor Rear Derailiur (used as tensioner, cheap but works)
    salvaged casset rear cogs (not ment to be permanant so I'm not worried)
    Metal and Plasting spacers from old cassets ground flat to fit very smoothly
    small piece of PVC for spacer as well

Thanks
    Bryce
    KB1LQC
    Pedal Power!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bstguitarist; 06-02-2006 at 07:53 PM.
    Bryce S.

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
    Electrical Engineering 2012!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Much cheaper than I managed to it!
    Have fun, and eventually, you'll shed the gears you don't want.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Bolts

You can go to the LBS and get single front chainring bolts for a few bucks...just an idea, if you want to lose some more gear off that thing.

KB1LQC
    Well nice, thought it would be an interesting project to share. I actually work at a local bike shop. Just did this one night, not sure if Im gonna keep it or just convert it back, would take most of an hour to do. If I decide to keep it i'll spend the money to do it, im in the process of buying a specialiced epic marathon as well as a car over the summer so dont have too much leway lol. but if it sticks ill probably get some avid brake levers and take the integrated shifters/brake levers off. as well as make a better setup. but we will see.

thanks
    Bryce
    Pedal Power!
    Bryce S.

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
    Electrical Engineering 2012!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm always interested in seeing other peoples projects, no harm intended, I am new the the SS thing and I just found the short bolts, so........

Members who have read this thread: 0