Singlespeed Ibis Tranny Review on MTBR- Mtbr.com
    The Angry Singlespeeder

Singlespeed Ibis Tranny Review on MTBR

Fellow Singlespeeders,

Thought you'd like to check out a new MTBR product spotlight review on the singlespeed Ibis Tranny. Dan aka ISuckAtRiding is featured too with his Homebrewed Components aluminum ring and ti cog:

https://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/spotli...-single-speed/

My condolences to all you rabid 29er fans out there.

Enjoy!

Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

Low Rep Count
    OOOOOOhhhhh nice! No money right now though. Might be in the running against the Lynsky for me next year though.

Apr 2007
    Not too psyched about the name, but sub-20lb is sweet. That Slot Machine deal is questionable to me. I know in the article, it said they've tested it for 6 months with no issues... However, more pivot/moving points, more chance of failure. In theory, anyway. Good looking ride, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Genshammer
    Fellow Singlespeeders,

Thought you'd like to check out a new MTBR product spotlight review on the singlespeed Ibis Tranny. Dan aka ISuckAtRiding is featured too with his Homebrewed Components aluminum ring and ti cog:

https://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/spotli...-single-speed/

My condolences to all you rabid 29er fans out there.

Enjoy!

so a carbon fiber SS that lists from $2900-5800 does NOT qualify as BLING?
    but a 29er does?
    I own a 29er, and am as sick of the hype as you, but 'BLING'.
    GTFO with the CF 3K SS
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

master blaster
    i was waiting for this. looks rad!

mtbr member
    looks nice, excellent fork

costs too much, carbon fiber frame, carbon parts, itegrated headset, tubeless rims

the pros and cons IMO
    Last edited by djriddle; 06-17-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    BBI certified, 12+ years as mechanic

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's a pretty horrible review. Not very objective.
    Especially considering the disclaimer at the end.
    If he's gonna bash 29ers like that, I'd at least like to know if he has ridden any carbon fiber 29er single speeds in comparison.
    I get the feeling that the reviewer has never spent significant time on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    That's a pretty horrible review. Not very objective.
    Especially considering the disclaimer at the end.
    If he's gonna bash 29ers like that, I'd at least like to know if he has ridden any carbon fiber 29er single speeds in comparison.
    I get the feeling that the reviewer has never spent significant time on a 29er.
    NO WAY
    The Tranny will change your life. It will encourage you to be a better, fitter rider. It will get you up hills that no other single speed can. It will push you into corners and down descents you’d never attempt on any other hardtail. It will blow your mind with its acceleration. It will piss off all your friends who only wish they had a sub-20 pound bike with a 100mm Fox fork and 15mm thru-axle – especially the ones on 29ers who you drop cold on both climbs and descents. In short, this bike will go down in history as one of the legends.

I think if he simply put down the lube while writing this, he might have done a bit better........
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

The Angry Singlespeeder
    Thor29 - I've ridden a number of 29ers over the past few years. Check out a recent review I did on a Belt Drive 29er Singlespeed:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/paketa-...d-29er-review/

I think 29ers are great, but for SS, I much prefer 26ers. But again, that's my opinion. I totally understand why some people ride 29ers. They descend great. But the Tranny is the first 26er hardtail I've ridden that can outhandle a 29er in all conditions.

Flame on!
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

The Angry Singlespeeder
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsalty
    NO WAY
    The Tranny will change your life. It will encourage you to be a better, fitter rider. It will get you up hills that no other single speed can. It will push you into corners and down descents you’d never attempt on any other hardtail. It will blow your mind with its acceleration. It will piss off all your friends who only wish they had a sub-20 pound bike with a 100mm Fox fork and 15mm thru-axle – especially the ones on 29ers who you drop cold on both climbs and descents. In short, this bike will go down in history as one of the legends.

I think if he simply put down the lube while writing this, he might have done a bit better........
    YOU PLAGIARIST!!!

Yep, those are my words and I stand by them. On second thought, nevermind. The bike sucks. Don't bother.
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

aka baycat
    You forgot to include, "climbs like a scalded monkey after rails of coke". Otherwise I like the pretty pictures and want this bike very much!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    YOU PLAGIARIST!!!

Yep, those are my words and I stand by them. On second thought, nevermind. The bike sucks. Don't bother.
    not saying the bike sucks; however your review (and dissing of the 29er platform) reads more like a nuthugger used car salesman spewing marketing 101 fundamentals.
    rather than a piece that an actual 'writer' would produce for a first look review.

I'm sure you love the bike (SANS original headset), but it is an extremely high priced, boutique bike that lacks practicality and affordability for the majority of the readers.

NO bike makes you a better rider.
    it simply will enhance your personal ability.
    the skills ALWAYS come from the 'pilot', so saying things like:

And because of its vertical compliance, light weight and tubeless setup, you really have to either be a bonehead or a double Clydesdale to pinch flat on a Tranny. Like a perfectly shaped stone skipping across a still pond, the Tranny seems to levitate downhill, floating over the tops of rocks, avoiding the inevitable pinch flat fate of most other heavier and less compliant hardtails.

may appeal to the McMansion/Hummer folks, the rest of us need an affordable ride that does not have to double as a levitating hovercraft and small penis compensator.

I'm sure the bike is a blast to ride, but there are many other considerations (durability, warranty, construction technique, demo/dealers info, etc.) that could have replaced your 'spankfest' that you are attempting to pass off as a unbiased review.

nothing personal, but all you really did was give me the impression that IBIS is a company makes expensive products that pompous egomaniacs want to ride.
    EricN

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    nice looking ride.......readable review. what gearing did you run on the 26er?

master blaster
    I'm sure you love the bike (SANS original headset), but it is an extremely high priced, boutique bike that lacks practicality and affordability for the majority of the readers.
    NO bike makes you a better rider.
    it simply will enhance your personal ability.
    the skills ALWAYS come from the 'pilot', so saying things like:
    nothing personal, but all you really did was give me the impression that IBIS is a company makes expensive products that pompous egomaniacs want to ride.
    to the right person, different bikes ride better so in a way your wrong.

i dont get upset that every other review in mountain bike magazines are high priced fs geared bikes when i ride ss hardtail so GTFO!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Honestly, reviews should be as impartial as possible. They can't be completely impartial of course, but the attempt should be made. I really have to agree with others here that this review didn't feel very impartial, at all. I wish it was, because I believe Ibis makes fantastic bikes. I've yet to ride a SS Tranny, but I'm hoping to, in order to compare it to other SS's.

Here's the rub....if you've time on many other SS's, 26 and 29 both, and still feel the Ibis Tranny is that much better...then attempt to explain WHY. When I ask someone informally for an opinion and hear "Climbs like a coked up monkey" I think "cool, I'll give it a try".....a full on review needs more objective substance though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thor29 - I've ridden a number of 29ers over the past few years. Check out a recent review I did on a Belt Drive 29er Singlespeed:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/paketa-...d-29er-review/

I think 29ers are great, but for SS, I much prefer 26ers. But again, that's my opinion. I totally understand why some people ride 29ers. They descend great. But the Tranny is the first 26er hardtail I've ridden that can outhandle a 29er in all conditions.

Flame on!
    But did you ride a Niner carbon One-9 or a carbon fiber Stumpjumper 29er SS?

It's not really fair to compare the Tranny to much heavier bikes. Also, reading that Paketa review shows more assumptions that make me wonder about the accuracy of the review. Just because WTB wheels bend easy, you can't assume that all 29er wheels are weak. I don't know if WTB has improved lately, but they made some pretty crappy wheels in the past regardless of rim size. I have Flow rims mounted on White Industries hubs on my SIR9 and Flows with Hope hubs on my RIP9 and they rarely need to be trued. (That includes downhill runs and big air at Downieville, Northstar, and Moab).

I think bike set up and equipment choice is a much bigger factor than wheel size. One of my friends recently switched from a Voodoo Bokor set up as single speed to a custom titanium 29er single speed. He raves about how much better the 29er climbs. Is it the wheel size? Maybe, maybe not.

You really need to compare very similar bikes before you can slag off 29er wheels. If I rode my Santa Cruz Bullit (set up for freeride) back to back on XC trails with my RIP9, I'd think 26 inch wheeled bikes are slow, floppy, pigs. That's an unfair comparison but the exaggeration illustrates my point.

master blaster
    everyone has their own personal preference so why even have reviews in general

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    everyone has their own personal preference so why even have reviews in general
    Because a solid review strives to be as objective as possible and teach us about the item being reviewed. It's a worthwhile endeavour. They <can> give us a basis on which to start our own exploration. A good review gives me an idea if I may like a bike, then I'm more likely to go and find out for myself.

So we're clear Gens, I'm not hating on you....just saying, if you try to leave your personal bias at the door, your reviews will be much more valuable to a much wider audience. You say the Tranny out handles 29ers...try to tell us HOW & WHY.

When I was testing bikes looking for my new ride, I rode bikes and evaluated stuff like singletrack handling, acceleration, downhill handling, cornering, etc The bike I was to buy could have been either 26 or 29, who really cares, as long as the criteria are met. Thats what I really care about...the attributes that make the bike.

mtbr member
    That bike is a sex machine. Not quite as big a sex machine as my Pink Vespa Scooter.

https://www.scootpink.com/wp-content...7/67vespa1.jpg

If I can get laid on a pink scooter who knows what new heights could be reached on the Ibis Tranny.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had the Tranny for a year, I ride it geared and single speed, I ride it just every where from epic desert rides to commuting around.
    It was the best hard tail I ever had (and I had many), all that till I tried the 29".
    I have the GF Superfly SS which is one of the best 29" carbon HT's there is.
    The SF is as fast, they are almost the same weight, stiffness is the same, they are both comfortable and both looks great.

But there is some magic in the Tranny . It has a soul.
    I would kill for 29" Tranny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singlespeed Ibis Tranny Review on MTBR-10042010051-large-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    a Tranny has soul? it's a few years old.

when i hear about a bike having a soul, i think Stumpy or GT chromoly triple-triangle, not a 2-year-old bike with the same name as the cross-dressing prostitute that you wish you never met.

mtbr member

Bike with Soul

alexrex20: you're spot on. No less plastic that bolts together like a lego set, ugh . To each their own. Depends on what experiences and what soul one actually has anyways.

A bike with soul from this guy is defined as:

A single speed bike handmade in Italy with butted and manipulated heat treated steel tubing imported to America, built up from the frame only by a mechanic who raced it in a a few races including a 24 hour relay team race.

Then after it's racing duties that season, it was retired, sold it to a fork company employee who embellished it further with an $800 fork that was worth more than the whole bike itself, then sold it at pennies on the dollar to a local rider with the magical fork, curious about SS, young'en that was getting on a bike for the first time after owning a car for 10 years thinking foolishly that a car was the only mode of transportation.

The young'en then rode the pis* out of it for a couple years, learning about chain stretch, cadence, bolt on vs QR on track ends, commuting with cars, transitioning from urban city riding to off road singletrack riding, crashing, how to bail, how to care for steel and preserve it, how to set up a bike, what were the widest tires that could fit in the chainstays without rubbing, and meeting lots of bike shops, not to mention learning a whole lot with the great community on MTBR.

The young'en, after racing it at a single speed world championship, "graduated" and then upgraded to a boutique US handmade titanium with sliders and retired the Italian steel ss bike. In the awesome condition the Italian steel single speed bike was (thanks to Dedacciai steel) , and needing funds to build up the titanium frame, the bike was sold to a fourth owner, a local and a deserving friend, one that built it up with his own preference of parts, donated or sacrificed from here and there, and is now beating the snot out of it on the east bay hills with pride and passion. The bike lives on and that's why you buy quality, 'cause it instills pride of ownership and will find a stoked new owner when it's time.

That's a bike with soul, man.

Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    alexrex20: you're spot on. No less plastic that bolts together like a lego set, ugh . To each their own. Depends on what experiences and what soul one actually has anyways.

A single speed bike handmade in Italy with butted and manipulated heat treated steel tubing imported to America, built up from the frame only by a mechanic who raced it in a a few races including a 24 hour relay team race.

Then after it's racing duties that season, it was retired, sold it to a fork company employee who embellished it further with an $800 fork that was worth more than the whole bike itself, then sold it at pennies on the dollar to a local rider with the magical fork, curious about SS, young'en that was getting on a bike for the first time after owning a car for 10 years thinking foolishly that a car was the only mode of transportation.

The young'en then rode the pis* out of it for a couple years, learning about chain stretch, cadence, bolt on vs QR on track ends, commuting with cars, transitioning from urban city riding to off road singletrack riding, crashing, how to bail, how to care for steel and preserve it, how to set up a bike, what were the widest tires that could fit in the chainstays without rubbing, and meeting lots of bike shops, not to mention learning a whole lot with the great community on MTBR.

The young'en, after racing it at a single speed world championship, "graduated" and then upgraded to a boutique US handmade titanium with sliders and retired the Italian steel ss bike. In the awesome condition the Italian steel single speed bike was (thanks to Dedacciai steel) , and needing funds to build up the titanium frame, the bike was sold to a fourth owner, a local and a deserving friend, one that built it up with his own preference of parts, donated or sacrificed from here and there, and is now beating the snot out of it on the east bay hills with pride and passion. The bike lives on and that's why you buy quality, 'cause it instills pride of ownership and will find a stoked new owner when it's time.

so is that bike a bianchi muss? because that is what is in the picture.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord

OK
    That is one kind of a SOUL and maybe one of a kind.

My Karate Monkey is a "steel soul" bike, because Surly injected it into the frame.
    The Tranny is a "magic soul" bike, there is no many bikes that are so good in everything you throw to them.
    The SuperFly is a "cold soul" bike, it is as fast as a rocket, it is light, it is comfortable, it is a good bike (maybe the best in its class) but when I want to have fun I take my Monkey
    Last edited by esku; 06-24-2010 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Damn, Mr Salty Cracker hating on the reviewer and rich folks. Hang in there brother, Obammy should be able to help you poor folk get an Ibis someday soon!!

I never meet the reviewer and knew nothing about the Tranny. Ran into a few guys riding Saturday. One was a sick rider and on a Tranny SS (Sorry SS Joe, you are a good rider too). He was certainly happy in his pants when describing his bike. Thing was sweet I will admit. So I went home and did some research. I reading a bunch of stuff online, I found this article and was like "Hey, that dude has the same name as the dude I rode with and the same bike". Then was like "That is the same dude". Long story short, Kurt does loves his Tranny and is not a fan of the 29er - I got that on Saturday's ride. But Kurt can voice his opinion and back it up because the guy is fast as hell on it. He did not change my opinion on 29ers. I will soon have my third, the newest one being built a Niner One9. So Kurt did not sell me on a 26 SS, but he did sell me on Ibis. So once Ibis makes a 29er Tranny, I will own one because I like dead sexy.

Maybe I have been reading reviews for far too long, but I take them all with a grain of salt. There is simply no way to be objective. Back room deals, kick-backs, paid reviews, etc all rule the roost. So I was not as offended as some nutsacks here that Kurt was fawning all over himself. But hey - that’s just me. Send it!

The Angry Singlespeeder

Morons and Hand Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by WebInt
    Damn, Mr Salty Cracker hating on the reviewer and rich folks. Hang in there brother, Obammy should be able to help you poor folk get an Ibis someday soon!!

I never meet the reviewer and knew nothing about the Tranny. Ran into a few guys riding Saturday. One was a sick rider and on a Tranny SS (Sorry SS Joe, you are a good rider too). He was certainly happy in his pants when describing his bike. Thing was sweet I will admit. So I went home and did some research. I reading a bunch of stuff online, I found this article and was like "Hey, that dude has the same name as the dude I rode with and the same bike". Then was like "That is the same dude". Long story short, Kurt does loves his Tranny and is not a fan of the 29er - I got that on Saturday's ride. But Kurt can voice his opinion and back it up because the guy is fast as hell on it. He did not change my opinion on 29ers. I will soon have my third, the newest one being built a Niner One9. So Kurt did not sell me on a 26 SS, but he did sell me on Ibis. So once Ibis makes a 29er Tranny, I will own one because I like dead sexy.

Maybe I have been reading reviews for far too long, but I take them all with a grain of salt. There is simply no way to be objective. Back room deals, kick-backs, paid reviews, etc all rule the roost. So I was not as offended as some nutsacks here that Kurt was fawning all over himself. But hey - that’s just me. Send it!
    HAHA! Len! What's up man. This post is hilarious! Great meeting and riding with you and Tony on Sunday over at Daley. Yes, I unabashedly sing the praises of the Ibis, but its for a reason; as evident in the review.

Kalamath - I totally agree with you. I specifically called the Ibis a 'spotlight' article and not a review, because yes, its biased. Think of it as a testimonial. When I first rode the bike it could have been considered a review because I wasn't biased towards or against it. But since it quickly became the best bike I've ever ridden, and I ended up buying one, I guess my opinion of it is now biased. And the 'how' and 'why' of what makes the Tranny stand out is in the article. The article isn't about highlighting why the Tranny is better than a 29er. I'm not opening that can of worms! All I said was, downhilling on this bike, I could drop my buddies on 29ers - something that I couldn't do with any other 26 inch hardtail.

For the record, I'm not anti-29. I think given specific conditions, with gears, they work especially well. But for super-technical riding with steep climbs on a singlespeed, at least for me, I prefer 26. But I don't slam anyone for what they ride. That's what roadies do. If you're on a mountain bike, even if its a Wal-Mart Rock Blaster, you're in the club. And for all you who get into heated debates about 26 vs. 29, Ride what you like and leave it all on the trail.

Someone earlier said that the Ibis lacks 'soul' of a triple triangle Zaskar or other old school bike because its only two years old. I say, time will be the ultimate judge. 10 years down the road, we all might look back and put this bike in that 'soul' category.

I'm a huge fan of steel (have an Bridgestone RB1, '93 Barracuda A2X and Yo Eddy!) and was reluctant to give carbon a try at first. But just as Scot Nicol & Ibis put unmatched soul and craftsmanship into their 'Moron' steel and Hand Job braze-ons, their carbon rigs are soul for the new millennium. Soul that we'll look back on a decade down the road and really appreciate, just like we do with all the '80s and '90s Mojos, back when they were made of steel.

Lets ride again soon, Len!

Kurt
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    to the right person, different bikes ride better so in a way your wrong.

i dont get upset that every other review in mountain bike magazines are high priced fs geared bikes when i ride ss hardtail so GTFO!
    english version:
    "to the right person, different bikes ride better so in a way YOU'RE wrong."
    MAYBE THIS WILL HELP GENIUS

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You%27re-and-Your

and since I have been riding mountain bikes longer than you have been on this planet, I really take YOUR opinion with a squirt of piss..............but thanks anyway.
    Last edited by mrsalty; 06-22-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    EricN

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    gross, you drink piss?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

"Send It?"
    whew, I thought you were going to 'choose me by the dumpster after school"

more arguing on the internet.................good times.

I'm not hating on 'rich folks'; if anything I am hating on stupid people with money who buy things to be noticed or 'cool'.
    people who acquire possessions, but really have no actual reason to own them in the first place.

so what makes you think I could not afford to buy a $6000 bike?
    why do you think I make less money than you?
    why do you think I am a fan of President Obama?
    why do you think I need an expensive bike to be fast or skilled?

and really, what the hell is wrong with your command of the English language.
    I get abbreviations and spelling mistakes.....................but you sound like you some foreign 'Carny'

the issue is about a 'fluff review' that was neither impartial or particularly informative.
    I could never buy this bike simply because the reviewer has completely tainted the evaluation with personal opinion and outlandish claims.
    I understand this is a 'user-reviewed' site, but this guy is a 'WRITER' for a living.
    how could a professional blow their own trade so BADLY?
    and 'fawning' is not the correct terminology, nutsack.
    how about manipulate or ingratiate?

congrats on your three 29er bikes.............may you enjoy all your riding time on them.
    EricN

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    "Send It?"

I'm not hating on 'rich folks'; if anything I am hating on stupid people with money who buy things to be noticed or 'cool'.
    people who acquire possessions, but really have no actual reason to own them in the first place.

I get abbreviations and spelling mistakes.....................but you sound like you some foreign 'Carny'

the issue is about a 'fluff review' that was neither impartial or particularly informative.
    I could never buy this bike simply because the reviewer has completely tainted the evaluation with personal opinion and outlandish claims.
    I understand this is a 'user-reviewed' site, but this guy is a 'WRITER' for a living.

congrats on your three 29er bikes.............may you enjoy all your riding time on them.
    Phewwww. Mr Salty Cracker did not tell me he has been riding mountain bikes longer than I have been on this planet.

singletrack bound
    just saw Andy Jacques Maynes riding a tranny yesterday!

he blew by me twice!!!!

mtbr member
    @Mighty Matt: Along the same pedigree. It's a SASS, shiny ass single speed. Only the SASS was chrome. I was third to hit it, and it was a sweet rewarding time. Never received as many compliments as I did the SASS.

@esku, do enjoy your explanations and ride quality descriptions.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    .[/QUOTE]

Wow. Just wow. You people are sick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yossarian

Wow. Just wow. You people are sick.[/QUOTE]

What happen people, did you lost your humor

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by esku
    Wow. Just wow. You people are sick.
    What happen people, did you lost your humor [/QUOTE]

Nah, just waiting on the Ibis 96'er, the hermaphrodite. It's got both kinds of wheels.

Ground Pounder
    What's the difference between a MTBR product spotlight review and MTBR Pro Review?
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHappyMedium
    What's the difference between a MTBR product spotlight review and MTBR Pro Review?
    The spelling.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    "Send It?"

I think he just didn't say what you wanted to hear. What is he supposed to do, slander the bike so you'll think he's more real?
    I know and ride with Kurt, and he is speaking from the heart with his review. His bike has improved his riding considerably, and that's saying alot because he was already one of the top overall finishers at the races. He's a good rider, and he's in tune with his bikes.

Come on, really? What, are we in the third grade?

If Kurt wanted to be noticed or "cool", he'd ride one of his vintage mountain bikes like his Yo Eddie or Barracuda, which get way more cool points than a flat current model black production frame. Or he'd buy some boutique custom steel bike with some gimmicky design that the builder (with no engineering background or even a basic cad program) claims is the cat's meow. Instead, he bought a bike that he thought would help him advance his racing career from a legendary company known for truly innovative designs.

But with that said, he just got the bike because he knows I'm starting to ride on a regular basis again, and he's going to receive some much deserved payback for when i was out of practice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I think he just didn't say what you wanted to hear. What is he supposed to do, slander the bike so you'll think he's more real?
    I know and ride with Kurt, and he is speaking from the heart with his review. His bike has improved his riding considerably, and that's saying alot because he was already one of the top overall finishers at the races. He's a good rider, and he's in tune with his bikes.

Come on, really? What, are we in the third grade?

If Kurt wanted to be noticed or "cool", he'd ride one of his vintage mountain bikes like his Yo Eddie or Barracuda, which get way more cool points than a flat current model black production frame. Or he'd buy some boutique custom steel bike with some gimmicky design that the builder (with no engineering background or even a basic cad program) claims is the cat's meow. Instead, he bought a bike that he thought would help him advance his racing career from a legendary company known for truly innovative designs.

But with that said, he just got the bike because he knows I'm starting to ride on a regular basis again, and he's going to receive some much deserved payback for when i was out of practice.
    really?
    this reply HAS to be sarcastic, because it is dripping in IRONY.
    what he was supposed to do was provide an unbiased review of the bike (which is clearly NOT possible as he owns and races for IBIS)
    speaking from his heart?
    "29ers are bling"......................right, from the heart.

the fact that you know and ride with 'Kurt' is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
    his occupation in his profile is 'WRITER'; not amateur 'wordsmith gearhead'.
    as such, one would expect him to understand the concept of 'impartiality'.

third grade?
    no, I would not buy a product from the ringing endorsement of a 'fake' product review.
    and yes, I would rather buy a bike from a builder, instead of some engineer.
    do you think the Yo Eddie was drawn up with a computer modeling 3-D CAD software package?

too bad, I really did like your products, and was looking to order some parts in the near future.
    I would have a hard time supporting someone with such a name dropping snobbish cycling elitist POV.

best of luck, enjoy the ride.
    EricN

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    really?
    this reply HAS to be sarcastic, because it is dripping in IRONY.
    what he was supposed to do was provide an unbiased review of the bike (which is clearly NOT possible as he owns and races for IBIS)
    speaking from his heart?
    "29ers are bling"......................right, from the heart.

the fact that you know and ride with 'Kurt' is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
    his occupation in his profile is 'WRITER'; not amateur 'wordsmith gearhead'.
    as such, one would expect him to understand the concept of 'impartiality'.

third grade?
    no, I would not buy a product from the ringing endorsement of a 'fake' product review.
    and yes, I would rather buy a bike from a builder, instead of some engineer.
    do you think the Yo Eddie was drawn up with a computer modeling 3-D CAD software package?

too bad, I really did like your products, and was looking to order some parts in the near future.
    I would have a hard time supporting someone with such a name dropping snobbish cycling elitist POV.

best of luck, enjoy the ride.
    YAWN. If you spent as much time finding a job as you do being dill hole online, you might actually be able to afford a new bike. Sucks to want.......

Oh please Mr. Salty Cracker, WOW me with your intellectual comebacks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    YAWN. If you spent as much time finding a job as you do being dill hole online, you might actually be able to afford a new bike. Sucks to want.......

Oh please Mr. Salty Cracker, WOW me with your intellectual comebacks.

I feel sorry for you.
    a grown man, who can't formulate a coherent sentence, let alone debate.
    who believes his self worth lies in what he can 'buy'.
    SAD really.

I have been at a fortune 500 company for the last 11 years.
    owned 4 different vehicles, two houses and 5 bikes in that time.
    it's all just 'stuff', and essentially meaningless in that the things I DID with that 'stuff' is what actually makes me happy.
    why does it seem like many Californians NEED to justify their existence by how many toys they have, and make sure they treat acquisition as a competition.
    I get it, you have stuff, and therefore that makes you OK.

spend some of your $$ and get some therapy.
    far better investment.
    EricN

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I feel sorry for you.
    a grown man, who can't formulate a coherent sentence, let alone debate.
    who believes his self worth lies in what he can 'buy'.
    SAD really.

I have been at a fortune 500 company for the last 11 years.
    owned 4 different vehicles, two houses and 5 bikes in that time.
    it's all just 'stuff', and essentially meaningless in that the things I DID with that 'stuff' is what actually makes me happy.
    why does it seem like many Californians NEED to justify their existence by how many toys they have, and make sure they treat acquisition as a competition.
    I get it, you have stuff, and therefore that makes you OK.

spend some of your $$ and get some therapy.
    far better investment.
    Speaking of someone "who can't formulate a coherent sentence". Did you ever think to use full sentences and proper structure? Perhaps even start a new sentence with a capital letter? Or do you write different in your fantasy world?

And as far as what you have done in your life.... sure... and I bet you have friends too. And I bet you have a wife and kids. Right. Wink. Wink.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    so, who has a bigger dick?

I dig trails!
    Curious about the vertical compliance comparable to a full suspension frame. How does that work? 3 inches of travel would be freekin' scary.

I'm also interested in the no pinchflat technology built into the frame. That sounds interesting too. My 160mm travel frame could use that too.

Thank goodness it had a crappy headset or the "review" might seem biased. Mountain Bike Action would be proud.

P

(the frame should be good enough to stand on it's own, without the added hyperbole, now I wonder...)

The Angry Singlespeeder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    Curious about the vertical compliance comparable to a full suspension frame. How does that work? 3 inches of travel would be freekin' scary.

I'm also interested in the no pinchflat technology built into the frame. That sounds interesting too. My 160mm travel frame could use that too.

Thank goodness it had a crappy headset or the "review" might seem biased. Mountain Bike Action would be proud.

P

(the frame should be good enough to stand on it's own, without the added hyperbole, now I wonder...)
    Hi Mr. P - Ride one and you'll quickly understand what I'm referring to. I know its hard to believe, but there's no hyperbole here. Just rode Noble Canyon on Sunday with the Tranny, and descended every bit of it as fast as I can on my S-Works Epic. No pinch flats either.

I'll be at Downieville as well in a few weeks racing a Tranny singlespeed. If you'd like to try out the Tranny, just stop by the Ibis tent. At a minimum, I'll let you take mine for a spin.

As for MrSalty, I don't mind criticism, but the slanderous comments are completely out of line. You have no idea who I am and where I come from, so my advice is to abide by Mark Twain's old maxim - "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear like an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt."

If any of you are going to Downieville, meet me by the Yuba for a few brews.

Later,
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hi Mr. P - Ride one and you'll quickly understand what I'm referring to. I know its hard to believe, but there's no hyperbole here. Just rode Noble Canyon on Sunday with the Tranny, and descended every bit of it as fast as I can on my S-Works Epic. No pinch flats either.

I'll be at Downieville as well in a few weeks racing a Tranny singlespeed. If you'd like to try out the Tranny, just stop by the Ibis tent. At a minimum, I'll let you take mine for a spin.

As for MrSalty, I don't mind criticism, but the slanderous comments are completely out of line. You have no idea who I am and where I come from, so my advice is to abide by Mark Twain's old maxim - "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear like an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt."

If any of you are going to Downieville, meet me by the Yuba for a few brews.

Later,
    slander? where exactly?

I know you list your day job as 'writer' on your profile.
    as such I expected you to behave in a way that reflected your profession, that's all.
    the point was to not 'hate on you', it was simply to point out you went WAY OVER THE TOP on this review.
    the credibiltiy was totally runied when you start saying ridiculous and extreme comments,

And because of its vertical compliance, light weight and tubeless setup, you really have to either be a bonehead or a double Clydesdale to pinch flat on a Tranny. Like a perfectly shaped stone skipping across a still pond, the Tranny seems to levitate downhill, floating over the tops of rocks, avoiding the inevitable pinch flat fate of most other heavier and less compliant hardtails.
    Editor’s Note: It should be noted that the author races for a team sponsored by Ibis, and received special pricing on the Tranny.
    c'mon Kurt.
    acting like your feelings are hurt over LEGITIMATE and REAL issues in your article receive the Mark Twain maxim response.
    really??

I know you LOVE your bike, but for you not to see the need to tone down your gushing and absurd assertions are simply not acceptable for someone who calls themselves a professional writer.

this whole thing has gotten personal; and really it only became that way when you decided this was not a review, but a reflection of your passion for your own PERSONAL bike.
    take a step back here, you have lost perspective.

best of luck @ Donwieville.
    be safe.
    Last edited by mrsalty; 06-30-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    EricN

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Speaking of someone "who can't formulate a coherent sentence". Did you ever think to use full sentences and proper structure? Perhaps even start a new sentence with a capital letter? Or do you write different in your fantasy world?

And as far as what you have done in your life.... sure... and I bet you have friends too. And I bet you have a wife and kids. Right. Wink. Wink.
    wink wink.
    yes, I am divorced, no kids.
    I live in a cave in Wyoming.
    my only friends are the wild deer and pronghorn that keep me safe from the large bears that keep trying to invade my domicile..............................

I really hope this is not taking up 'rent' in your head.
    EricN

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I own a niner one 9 SS and I found the Ibis Tranny Spotlight article informative. In fact I think I'll buy one next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku
    Uuummm, I think I would keep that to myself!

Members who have read this thread: 1