Singlespeed General Discussion- Mtbr.com
    Downcountry AF

Singlespeed General Discussion

A place to have general conversation about single speeds. I often want to share stuff but can't find the right thread to put it in. Post pics, ask questions, share your latest upgrade, Race results, share your classic bike, etc. Whatever you want so long as it's singlespeed related.

It's been an interesting couple months for my collection of SS's. I designed my dream SS 29er frame and had it built, I built my first Monstercross SS, got a new cross frame, Just built my first SS track bike, two new wheelsets, all kinds of good stuff. I'll fill in some details as we go along but for now here's some pics.

Singlespeed General Discussion-img_5723.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-img_5721.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-img_5711.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-img_5709.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-img_5698.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-jamis.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-ac1.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-screen-shot-2017-06-04-8.18.04-pm.jpg

Singlespeed General Discussion-c6.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Cycologist
    So is the Kona a fixed/free?

My Streetdog is, I rode it as a free while I was waiting for my cog to come in but I haven't switched it from fixed once I got it installed. I don't find it makes a lot of difference once you get rolling, though I do sometimes have to use my brakes to keep from spinning faster than my legs can turn when descending.

There is a velodrome near me. Someday I'll take her out there and try a few laps. I think they make you disconnect your brakes to ride it. I took my son out there to watch a race series a couple of years ago, need to get back out there.

Sorry to get the new thread off on non-mountain bikes! I have rode the fixed on very mild beginner single track, roots make it interesting.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm curious to hear more about that custom frame. Is it a Curtlo? And what kind of geometry/design tweaks did you make based on other frames you've ridden over the years.

psycho cyclo addict
    Nice.

I have two carbon-forked knobby SS 29er's (~10 year old Waltworks running Paragon sliders and 2013 CK Cielo with Paragon rockers). Definitely like the rockers better. I do fine without "modern frame geometry".

The Walt is setup for more do everything and CK for trails.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Cycologist
    I think *OneSpeed* was on his pain meds when he started this thread and now he's forgotten all about it.

Oh well, he's bound to discover it some day.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by akindofbrian View Post
    I'm curious to hear more about that custom frame. Is it a Curtlo? And what kind of geometry/design tweaks did you make based on other frames you've ridden over the years.
    Well for one it's Huge! It's bigger than any frame I've ridden to date, 22" effective I think. My goal was modern XC geo. True Temper OX Platinum tubing, 69 degree HTA with a rigid fork, 68 with a 120mm sus fork, 430mm chainstays, 142 Paragon swingers, BSA, 44mm HT, Long TT and a slightly laid back STA intended for a zero offset dropper (internal routing), 180mm cranks, and Blue translucent powder coat which is pretty cool because you can see the brazing and heat marks.

Components: My goal is to use as many Made in the USA parts as I can afford. Some parts are placeholders that I'll upgrade down the road. Project 321 SS rear hub on a RF Arc 30, Front wheel is my 35mm carbon race rim for now, Cane Creek 40 headset (for now) Whiskey carbon fork/Fox 34, 180 XT cranks (really limited options in 180-185mm), Wheels Manufacturing angular contact BB, Absolute Black oval 34t, Endless 20t cog, Paragon swingers, Paul Components Boxcar stem, Enve handlebars? (maybe), Whiskey seatpost probably?/Fox Transfer dropper probably?, I plan on using a 2.6" Nobby Nic front tire in rigid mode, 2.4" with a sus fork.

I wanted to use White Industries cranks but they (like every other manufacturer of any bike part on Earth) use their own proprietary direct mount so you can only buy their chainrings, and I want to use an oval. Sorry, deal breaker.

The only negative thing about it was that I didn't have a great experience with the builder. I won't go into the details but I would not recommend him and I just hope I never have a problem with it.

I think it will be a super fun bike. I hope it's everything I wanted it to be. I'm really looking forward to riding it!!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I think *OneSpeed* was on his pain meds when he started this thread and now he's forgotten all about it.

Oh well, he's bound to discover it some day.
    For the record, I'm off my meds. Maybe that's the problem?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)