Singlespeed escape... (X-post)- Mtbr.com
    Des(s)ert Rat

Singlespeed escape... (X-post)

Not as long as the escape to Italia, but good for the soul. Went out and rode the familiar trails, bundled up in case the clouds closed more tightly around the sun than they already were. Rustler's was fast with the damp conditions and not a mud puddle in sight. Ah yes, the perfect conditions for the ol' Surly. Since I was the only car in the lot I opted to go 'against traffic' by going counterclockwise, but of course I took the connector to get that last swoopy downhill that makes one sway with the bike.

Since I had the time (barely) and Rustler's was perfect, I knew Horsethief would be good to go. So I went. The climb felt a little longer since I hadn't been on my bike in a while and I had plenty of snot rockets (oops, can girls admit to that?) due to a cold. The same old ride up to the drop in at Horsethief was made crisp with the cool air. I went my usual halfway down and got off to walk the rest. The packed sand made me think that I might like to try to go a little further with my other bike. Oh well, I made my decision and I was rigid.

I thought briefly of going counter clockwise, but I knew that the climb coming back out would a bit harsh on the ss, especially for someone that had been eating and drinking a lot for two weeks, with a cold, and still jet lagged (Can I come up with more excuses?). Anyway, I went the usual way and smiled as I noticed the sun pushing it's way out.

Just past the slickrock section I was rounding a turn when I saw a big bald eagle (like they come in small) sitting atop a dead juniper. I put ont he brakes and stared for a split second, long enough for him to look at me and decide to leave, short enough that I was too late with the camera. I got it out anyway and attempted to catch him in pixels, but to no avail. The time "wasted" chasing the bird ruined my schedule and I had to turn around there to get back to the car, but I didn't really mind, watching him soar out over the canyon rim to disappear below was well worth the loss of mileage.

Now for some pictures.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Des(s)ert Rat

Rustler's...

Just the local scenery...

Des(s)ert Rat

Horsethief Bench...

The trusty steed.

The trail

Where I saw the eagle.

Des(s)ert Rat

Looking down on Horsethief from Mary's...

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    I saw a big bald eagle (like they come in small) sitting atop a dead juniper. I put ont he brakes and stared for a split second, long enough for him to look at me and decide to leave, short enough that I was too late with the camera.
    Those raptors are camera shy - even when you ask their permission. There are a couple of hawks that hang out (literally) in Palmer Park. They usually hover in the same spot about 10-20 yards from the edge of the mesa. I have stopped and watched them for 5 - 10 minutes at a time, but as soon as the camera comes out they are gone. How do they know?

Des(s)ert Rat
    It's pretty amazing to be that close to such large birds in the wild. I could see the individual feathers on his neck. Stunning. A little intimidating, his wingspan was bigger than I am tall! Of course we read the dimensions, but to actually see it make quites an impression on themind.