singlespeed conversion question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

singlespeed conversion question

Hey got a question for the experts on converting into a SS.

I have a 2008 cannondale f3 geared mtb. If I wanted to convert it into a singlespeed can I just change out the hub to a ss hub and use the middle chainring and shorten the chain? Or because the frame isnt set up to be a ss bike i need a converter?

Im not sure if frames are made specifically for ss bikes (my friend has a fisher rig ss but its ready for gears if he wanted to do that). Any help on this would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    A good place to start would be the SS FAQ page. It should have answers to your questions, and answers to questions you have yet to ask.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    it has answers to known unknowns and unknown unknowns...

remarkable page that one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks this is some great info thanks!

One thing tho - is there a specific singlespeed frame made specifically for a bike (like the newer fisher rig ss - are those frames made for that) or is it just a regular mountain bike production frame and they just use ss components for the setup? Reason i ask is my friend was saying how my f3 could prob only use a chain tensioner setup cause the frame is not setup as a SS. Was wondering if thats true.

mtbr member
    if it has vertical dropouts you are basically limited to one of these: magic gear (if you're lucky), ghost ring, chain tensioner, EBB, or eccentric rear hub.

Members who have read this thread: 0