singlespeed conversion help- Mtbr.com
    U V
    aka: UltraViolet

singlespeed conversion help

i'm thinking of converting an old XC to singlespeed and i was just wondering if it can be done without modifing the frame?
    i realise i could just lock-up the rear mech, and i don't wont to send much [any] money doing it.

got any idears?

Steamroller

Some basics

Most likely you will need a chain tensioner and some old cassette spacers to properly space your chosen rear cog. This can be accomplished for under $50 likely. There are kits available with bmx cogs and custom spacers. Eccentric rear hubs ( White Industries) are also a cool option instead of a tensioner but they are pretty pricey by themselves and still have to be built into a wheel. Off the top of my head I'm guessing $175 minimum for the combo. I hope thats a start for you, the info is all at your fingertips I'm sure. There's lots of info on other threads or other SS websites. Good luck, post a picture when you get it done.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

34N 118W

less than $10

take apart old cassettes for the spacers, or ask a shop / buddies for theirs.

Use a BMX cog on your existing rear hub. Get your chainline straight.

Use your rear mech as a tensioner. See FAQ or search the new & old boards.

that'll get you going for next to nothing. Eventually you can swap out your front chainring for a plain SS one. No frame mods, no new wheels.

later,
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by U V
    i'm thinking of converting an old XC to singlespeed and i was just wondering if it can be done without modifing the frame?
    i realise i could just lock-up the rear mech, and i don't wont to send much [any] money doing it.

got any idears?

Bent, not broken.

Spacers and your RD will work just fine.

The trick with the RD is to use your cable to hold the derailluer in place. Put the nub that goes into your shifters into the barrel adjuster at the derailluer and then clamp the cable down roughly where it'll sit. Use the barrel adjuster to fine tune the position and then run the high and low stop screws in until the derailluer has a limited range. I've got mine set so that if it does derail off the inside, it'll try to put the chain back up on the cog.
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    To go the SS way real cheap just leave the cassette on and select the cog that you want to use, use the rear mech as a tensioner and bualá, SS.

Eventually you should get rid of the cassette and use a cog with spacers and if you play the gear ratio game you may even select a combination that doesn't require a tensioner. I use a 34t ring with a 18t cog and a half-link with no tensioner.

Also remember that if you use a 9spd cog to use a 9spd chain and if you use a BMX cog you'll need a compatible chain, I learned that the hard way.

mtbr member

if you want that clean look...

If you want the clean look of a true SS without modifying the frame, I suggest the eccnetric ENO hub from White Industries: http://www.adventurefind.com/hbfk/eno1.html, and http://www.adventurefind.com/bikes.html