singlespeed blues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

singlespeed blues

hey fellas, first-time poster here looking for advice.

i've been a long-time singlespeed rider on a vintage motobecane frame, and can service it well, but have come to a recent challenge---- the female love interest's cheap huffy!

so without pictures, hard to describe. it's a women's huffy make unknown from 'ere late 70's-80's. now, as i understand the lifespan on these guys isn't pretty. indeed, i've found several modifications including jimmy-rigged fenders screwed directly into a gap in the frame itself, buckling it out about centimeter-point-five.

it looks like it had at some point a derailleur system, but it's been swapped for a freehub with some bizarre tensioner linked up to the rear brake handle.

the problem is that it's just *tough* to pedal. a big part was the seat angle and height for her (around 5'4"). beyond that there's some drag in the bottom bracket, which is near unreachable as it's a single piece of steel with bowed pedals that have no wrench holds.

aside from that, the bearings are a-ok everywhere, and the freehub seems to be running smoothly.

i'm pretty sure it's just a combination of the aforementioned problems along with the loose fenders which rubbed occasionally, but if anyone out there has experience with these pieces of crap, my ego might just depend on it.

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    perhaps you could find your interest a new bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You should be able to find an old operable 10spd for <$50

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by sdoiuasd
    hey fellas, first-time poster here looking for advice.

i've been a long-time singlespeed rider on a vintage motobecane frame, and can service it well, but have come to a recent challenge---- the female love interest's cheap huffy!

so without pictures, hard to describe. it's a women's huffy make unknown from 'ere late 70's-80's. now, as i understand the lifespan on these guys isn't pretty. indeed, i've found several modifications including jimmy-rigged fenders screwed directly into a gap in the frame itself, buckling it out about centimeter-point-five.

it looks like it had at some point a derailleur system, but it's been swapped for a freehub with some bizarre tensioner linked up to the rear brake handle.

the problem is that it's just *tough* to pedal. a big part was the seat angle and height for her (around 5'4"). beyond that there's some drag in the bottom bracket, which is near unreachable as it's a single piece of steel with bowed pedals that have no wrench holds.

aside from that, the bearings are a-ok everywhere, and the freehub seems to be running smoothly.

i'm pretty sure it's just a combination of the aforementioned problems along with the loose fenders which rubbed occasionally, but if anyone out there has experience with these pieces of crap, my ego might just depend on it.

thanks in advance!
    While I am in agreement that a new steed of similar or better quality can be had on the cheap (possibly free)...

If you do not want to or cannot disassemble the bottom bracket (which should not be hard on that bike), try spraying some penetrating oil in there (i.e. PB Blaster, Kroil, etc.). It does wonders in freeing rusted parts and softening hardened grease. Spray some in the hubs as well. You may find that it runs smoothly again. Smoothly for a Huffy, that is.

Ah- I remember my first Huffy fondly. It's still hanging in the shed at my parents house.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

Teen Wolf
    so get a new bike.. wtf... a 70's era huffy isn't worth 4 seconds of time

mtbr member
    Sounds like what I would call a beach cruiser made for going slow as for a mountain bike a few times out on the trail you will posting your need for a newer mountain bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0