singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20

it's that time, time to update the list. if you have a contribution, please include a link to the product and some basic features. I left out fat bikes as that seems to be a whole other discussion, but add your own to the list if that's your thing.

please research before you share. If the bike is no longer available on the new market, you can suggest it as a good used option. Otherwise, please don't allude to bikes that no one can buy new anymore.

Chumba made in Austin, Texas
    Sendero pretty excited about this one. steel, 29"/ B+, modern geo, sliders, various dropout options.
    Stella steel or titanium with conventional XC geo, 148 boost spacing, room for 29x2.6 tires. Alexandera Houchin's choice for the 2019 Tour Divide.

Specialized
    Fuse the 2020 Fuse is available in several configurations and all of the aluminum frames have SS-compatible sliding dropouts.

Vassago the Jabberwocky is currently unavailable
    Vassago just reintroduced the Verhauen (7/29/19). the new Verhauen is US made steel 29/27.5+ frame with shorter chainstays, PMW hardware, room for fatter tires, all the progressive modern bells and whistles.
    Radimus Ti 29/B+, modern geo, boost spacing only, optimized for 140mm fork.
    Moosknuckle 29x3"+ tires, bendy ti tubes, boost spacing
    Optimus Ti XC hardtail

Santa Cruz
    Chameleon
    aluminum or carbon trail hardtail. best bicycle video advertisement ever.

Kona
    Unit rigid steel 27.5+. great "budget" bike with solid components. also available as a frame/ fork.
    Honzo steel rowdy progressive hardtail. long, low, slack!

Salsa
    Timberjack modern geo, aluminum, several hub width options using Salsa Alternator dropouts, downright cheap for a frame. titanium frame option and several complete variations that will convert to singlespeed easily.
    Woodsmoke carbon 29+ with crazy-short chainstays
    Fargo drop-bar rigid mtb with Alternator dropouts

Canfield
    Nimble 9 steel AM hardtail

Reeb
    Dikyelous - super short stays, steel or titanium
    Sixfidy belt-drive compatible steel 27.5+, 140mm fork optimized

Pivot
    Pivot LES modern XC race carbon 29/B+
    LES SS complete

Giant
    XTC Advanced carbon XC 29/ 27.5

Surly
    Karate Monkey 29/B+, steel with "nimble" XC/ trail geo, braze-ons everywhere for touring, cheap, gnot-boost track ends fit 135, 142, and 148 axles with ease. best selling point: I ride one.
    Lowside
    26+ child of the classic 1x1
    Krampus 29+ steel trail bike

Prophesy
    Oracle new company, aluminum rowdy 29/27.5+ with sliders

RSD
    Big Chief steel and Big Chief titanium 29+ with sliders, not-so progressive geo (is it just me, or does their geo chart seem off? why so short in reach/ETT?), 142 non-boost rear axle
    Middlechild steel or titanium 27.5+/ 29 wheels with lots of clearance, long and modern, 140mm fork
    Sargeant titanium or aluminum superBoost 157 rear spacing, room for 29x3 or 27.5x4 tires, 150mm fork, slack and long.

Soma- all steel, all belt-drive compatible
    Sandworm fat 26, 27.5+ or 29x3 tires
    Soma Juice 29er steel belt drive XC, room for 29x2.4 tires or 27.5x2.8.
    Soma Riff 27.5 trail/ XC, 120m fork

44 Bikes - custom steel and ti from New England.

Voodoo
    Zocalo titanium 29/ B+, Xc geo, 142 or boost axle, 120mm fork
    Dambala similar (the same) to the Zocalo but steel.

Redline
    Monocog cheap entry level rigid SS. downside- weird seatpost size.

Esker Hayduke 142 or 148 dropouts, new version is lighter, woot! specs say maximum 29x2.3, but also 27.5x3, so I'll bet something bigger than 29x2.3 will fit just fine.

Bikes Direct- five models of SS mtbs under $500. gateway drug!

Trek
    Stache 29+ bike in carbon or aluminum. super rowdy geometry. (Austin locals happen to love this bike.)

Niner
    SIR 9 Trail/ XC/ bikepacing optimized with Niner EBB. fancy steel and really cool chainstay yoke.

Pipedream
    Moxie super-progressive long "enduro" geo, steel, 27.5+/ 29 tires, 140mm fork optimized

BTR
    Chaser SS steel made in England, clean, straight lines, 135mm axle track ends. geo is fairly low and has a slack front end, but designed for a 100mm fork.

Ventana aluminum
    Wolfram room for up to 29+ tires, boost, 120mm fork optimized, swinging dropouts, belt drive compatible.
    El Comandante SS XC 29er, PF bottom bracket, 100mm fork

Spot
    Rocker SS steel, modern geo, sliding dropouts, belt drive compatible

Lenz
    Lunchmoney 5.5" full-suspension, lots of tire options, belt drive option.
    Milkmoney 3-4" full suspension, lots of options.

[Wyatt made in Wisconsin aluminum with sliding dropouts
    Maverick fatbike
    Vista trail bike
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-03-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Giant xtc is still ssable in 2020. Boost, carbon, 27.5 x 3.0 or 29 and some people have used 29x3.0.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Edit, added to OP

Niner still has the SIR9
    Last edited by socal_jack; 11-05-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    Canfield R1OT SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Niner still has the SIR9
    Add a link and some info about it, please. No need to quote my entire list, just add your own items.

mtbr member
    I like what Santa Cruz did with the carbon Chameleon.

You can also add these...

Pipedream Moxie
    BTR Chaser SS
    Ventana Wolfram & El Comandante
    Spot Rocker
    Lenz Milkmoney & Lunchmoney

Squid Bikes [email protected] Off Johnny can be ran as a SS with Squid's eccentric bottom bracket along with any bike with a PF 30 BB.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Vassago
    Radimus Ti 29/B+, modern geo, boost spacing only, optimized for 140mm fork.
    Moosknuckle 29x3"+ tires, bendy ti tubes, boost spacing
    Optimus Ti XC hardtail
    Re the current Optimus Ti, there are two variations, both Boost:
    - The ďregularĒ OpTi can take 29+, up to 3.0 tires, and the frame is slightly heavier
    - Optimus Ti ďRaceĒ, which is lighter, and can take up to 2.4 tires. I think the weight is in the 4-4.5 lb range, to compete with carbon frames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Wanna ride bikes?
    Mack- thanks for doing this again. Great resource for current options!!

Esker Hayduke- https://eskercycles.com/products/hayduke

Quad butted 4130 frame, reasonable price, swappable dropouts for 142/148/SS/gears, pretty good geo, only drawback is tire clearance is max 29x2.3.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Esker Hayduke-... only drawback is tire clearance is max 29x2.3.
    I really doubt that is the case. with advertised room for 27.5x3" tires, I would bet a 29x2.5 would have no problems.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I really doubt that is the case. with advertised room for 27.5x3" tires, I would bet a 29x2.5 would have no problems.
    Agreed or maybe even bigger.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Agreed or maybe even bigger.
    Clearance on the stays may not be the issue, the tallness of the tire could hit the seat tube since it doesn't appear to have much of a bend in it. Short chainstays and no bend in the seat tube = tire contacting frame.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rod
    mtbr member
    Clearance on the stays may not be the issue, the tallness of the tire could hit the seat tube since it doesn't appear to have much of a bend in it. Short chainstays and no bend in the seat tube = tire contacting frame.
    Agreed.

I did some digging and found this instead. I know nothing about this brand, but they use USA tubing and paragon machine works. It looks fantastic and I'm always behind products being made in the states. https://mythcycles.com/bikes/talos/

29 x 3.00 tire on a 40mm rim and a chainring up to 32 teeth. All at a 418mm effective chainstay length.

73mm BSA threaded bottom bracket
    31.6 seatpost
    148◊12 Boost rear end
    67.5į head tube angle
    418mm effective chainstay length
    Loopstay signature chainstay yoke
    Full length cable housing
    Triple bottle bosses below downtube
    Optional sliding dropout upgrade
    Optional stealth seatpost routing upgrade
    Optional bolt-in framebag bosses upgrade

mtbr member
    Stella steel or titanium with conventional XC geo, 148 boost spacing, room for 29x3...
    Killer list - thanks! That said, Iíve seen a LOT of Stellas in the wild, and pretty sure that 29x2.6 is about as big as itíll fit out back.

I donít think I saw the All City Log Lady on the list. Pretty sweet...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Stanton Switch9er 631, Slackline 853, Sherpa 853 and Switchback 631 https://www.stantonbikes.com/product.../frames/steel/ Aggressive steel hardtails.

NS Bikes Surge Evo https://nsbikes.com/surge-evo,115,pl.html Kind of jump bike meets trail bike.

Pace Cycles RC529 and RC627 https://pacecycles.com/pages/rc529 Aggressive steel hardtails. They don't talk about single speed but it has sliding dropouts so I'd assume it could be done.

Marino Cycles. Custom made frames from Peru and a not very expensive price. https://www.marinobike.com/ Website is under construction right now but he is pretty responsive viva Instagram.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    I donít think I saw the All City Log Lady on the list. Pretty sweet...
    I don't think they make the Log Lady anymore. It isn't on their website...
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I don't think they make the Log Lady anymore. It isn't on their website...
    Looks like the Log Lady is done. Sorry to be a turd about it, but this is why I asked at the start of this thread to research the bikes and provide a link. I added another bit to clarify that so readers don't go on wild goose chase trying to find a non-existent bike . If the bike is no longer on the market, you'll learn that when you look it up and find it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Looks like the Log Lady is done. Sorry to be a turd about it, but this is why I asked at the start of this thread to research the bikes and provide a link. I added another bit to clarify that so readers don't go on wild goose chase trying to find a non-existent bike . If the bike is no longer on the market, you'll learn that when you look it up and find it.
    Huh? I put links in my earlier post...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Huh? I put links in my earlier post...
    Yes, thank you. I was recognizing that you were correct to point out the Log Lady's fate. Just restating my request that we keep this list relevant (for now) and useful to people who are looking for a new SS mtb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yes, thank you. I was recognizing that you were correct to point out the Log Lady's fate. Just restating my request that we keep this list relevant (for now) and useful to people who are looking for a new SS mtb.
    Oh gotcha I was confused by the response.

Do the Troll, Orge and ECR not qualify? I guess they are more touring bikes.

A few more.

Trillion Prime. Prime ‚Äď Trillion Cycles Aggressive British made steel hardtail.

Why Cycles S7 https://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/s7/ Ti 27.5+ hardtail. And Wayward https://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/wayward/ Ti 29+ hardtail.

Carver Ti and AL Gnarvester Aluminum Gnarvester - Carver Bikes Titanium Gnarvester - Carver Bikes 29+ Ti and Al hardtail.

Jones Plus LWB https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-plus/ Do these count since they are available with an EBB and a bit more of touring bikes?

Tumbleweed Prospector Bikes ‚ÄĒ Tumbleweed Bicycle Co. More of a bikepacking bike and design for a Rohloff but has a EBB so could be run ss. 27.5+ Rigid.

Funk Cycles https://www.funkcycles.com/29plus https://www.funkcycles.com/275plusand29 Two hardtails (29+ and 27.5+/29) and two full sus (29+ and 27.5+/29)

Roca Roja https://www.rocarojabicycles.com/ Three models of Ti hardtails (two 29er and a 29+)

Stooge Speedball Speedball Biplane 29+ frameset Duster Blue | Stooge Cycles Comes with EBB. Rigid 29+.

Brother Big Bro https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/frames/big-bro/ 29/27.5+ rigid adventure bike

Genesis Longitude https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/longitude-fs 29/27.5+ rigid adventure bike

If those more adventure style bikes don't qualify I'll remove them from the list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The 2020 Specialized fuse frame weighs 4.58 lbs and will fit a 2.8 mcfly in the rear. there is room for a 3" chronicle but I think it will rub with aggressive riding and decided against it.

mtbr member
    Myth cycles appears to offer sliders on all their hardtails

https://mythcycles.com/
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    You can add the Jamis Dragonslayer. Don't think it's available as a single speed option to buy but the frame has sliders so you can make it ss. I just picked up a 2018 frame but they are also still being sold new.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/dragonseries.html

PLUS
    A 27.5x3Ē tire measures out to a 29Ē diameter and a 26x3Ē tire measures out to a 27.5Ē diameter. Combining them with a 40mm rim, results in the ultimate combination of traction, roll-over and versatility without being too heavy, too bouncy, too tall or feeling lethargic on the trail.

REYNOLDS 520 STEEL
    For well over a century, Reynolds has been at the forefront of cycling design and engineering continually pushing the boundaries of performance. The 520 series double-butting provides both strength and weight savings resulting in a smooth riding frameset.

44MM HEAD TUBES
    Oversized 44mm head tubes, like tapered head tubes, offer many advantages impacting the handling and performance of the bike. Not only do they allow for the use of tapered steerer forks adding more stiffness, lighter weight and better tracking in rough terrain, but the larger diameter provides a better surface area to weld the main triangle tubes to.

ADJUSTABLE SLIDING DROPOUTS
    Our sliding dropout allows for 15mm of adjustment. Slide your rear wheel back to increase clearance for larger tires or remove all those gears and shifters and simply tension your chain for a quiet single speed ride.

READY TO LOAD
    The Dragonslayer frames feature rear rack eyelets and enough cargo/water cage mounts for the option to load up all the gear you may possibly need out there. Full cable housing guides are used to ensure uninterrupted shifting performance when using a frame bag.

OUTBOARD CHAIN LINE
    A 12x148 rear hub with 3mm offset chainrings minimizes the chance of chain to tire contact with short chainstays and ďmid-fatĒ tires without compromising any pedaling efficiency to a wider q-factor.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

WNC Native
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I am really surprised to see Specialized offering sliders. I think the last SS'able bike they made was the Crave and even that had a garbage EBB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The Niner air 9 RDO is EBB friendly, boost, 100mm-120mm fork friendly.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-9-rdo

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Pipedream Moxie

The new 2019 Moxie (size Longer)singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20-moxie.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Amongst these options, any frame that hovers around the same price as the Karate Monkey?

Most seem to be higher price options but would like to try other steel offerings

mtbr member
    Soma, Kona, Esker, and RSD all seem to have frames closer in price to the KM. It's a difficult comparison to make. The KM includes a fork too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Isen Workshop out of the UK offers the Mountain G.O.A.T: https://www.isenworkshop.com/goat

Can be SSíd with a PF30 EBB, and is belt drive-compatible. Reynolds 853, 44mm headtube, 27.5+ or 29x2.4. Geared towards bikepacking and is a bit pricey, but that paint job... 😍😍😍

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the list, but itís not helping me kick this obsession with building up SS fat tire bikes. Lately Iíve been researching which frame could clear some big 27.5 Plus wheels with i45 rims.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Thanks for the list, but itís not helping me kick this obsession with building up SS fat tire bikes. Lately Iíve been researching which frame could clear some big 27.5 Plus wheels with i45 rims.
    You are not alone with this obsession! I even tried a SS 29+ Stache for 4-5 months, while a fun bike...just not as good of a fit for me. Back to a SS fat bike with 27.5x3.8 on 50mm rims, which seems to be my happy place.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Crust Bikes has a few models with Paragon Rocker style dropouts, availability is always hit or miss with them though:

Shred Eagle is a slack 650b option : https://crustbikes.com/products/shred-eagle/

Evasion is a 650b bikepacking option: https://crustbikes.com/products/the-...s-the-evasion/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    The new 2019 Moxie (size Longer)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moxie.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	1262255
    Love the Moxie, but don't understand why it only has one set of bottle cage mounts! So many of these more aggressive hardtails are the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice! Thanks for the list and this thread!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Awesome! What tires?
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wollongongdave View Post
    Love the Moxie, but don't understand why it only has one set of bottle cage mounts! So many of these more aggressive hardtails are the same.
    My spearfish was the same so i made my own bottle mounts with 3m tape

WNC Native
    Awesome! What tires?
    If this was meant for me, Bonty Hodags.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My spearfish was the same so i made my own bottle mounts with 3m tape

Just double sided tape? It held ok?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I am going to add a second set on my Ragley with either the King Cage Universal Support Bolt or the Fidlock Uni Base (which requires their bottles but I really like the Fidlock bottles)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have been riding this bike the last few days and it really is a sweet bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20-dsc03487.jpg  

Wanna ride bikes?
    Oh Yeah! Updated geo. Shorter chainstays and 29x2.6" YES!! KONA BIKES | MTB | MTB HARDTAIL | Unit
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    How does that Pipedream Moxie climb? i currently ride a nimble 9 boost and thinking about getting a moxie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelcaro View Post
    How does that Pipedream Moxie climb? i currently ride a nimble 9 boost and thinking about getting a moxie.
    I only ride it single speed but it climbs awesome since the Longer geometry fits me so well (love the Reach). It is effortless getting in/out of seat. Helps (for me) that Iíve set it up w high stack (spacers and 40mm risers) so it is a good position to pull bars and mash out of seat. Basically grips slightly above seat. Currently in max chainstays. I go up very steep trails and have no traction or wheelie problems. I want to eventually go mid chainstay and donít expect any issues. If I was climbing geared and seated all the time, I would say the seat tube angle is great, possibly a tad on steep side. I push my seat a little back, but Iím 31Ē inseam/all torso. A longer inseam/more regular proportion guy w higher seat will prob love this STA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    I only ride it single speed but it climbs awesome since the Longer geometry fits me so well (love the Reach). It is effortless getting in/out of seat. Helps (for me) that Iíve set it up w high stack (spacers and 40mm risers) so it is a good position to pull bars and mash out of seat. Basically grips slightly above seat. Currently in max chainstays. I go up very steep trails and have no traction or wheelie problems. I want to eventually go mid chainstay and donít expect any issues. If I was climbing geared and seated all the time, I would say the seat tube angle is great, possibly a tad on steep side. I push my seat a little back, but Iím 31Ē inseam/all torso. A longer inseam/more regular proportion guy w higher seat will prob love this STA.
    I only ride single speed as well for the last 4 years, I ride up some fire roads to get to singletrack and do some seated climbing on those and easier grades or if I ride paved trails. Might order the frame in the next week, I like the Canfield but have been riding more aggressively lately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shaynec View Post
    I have been riding this bike the last few days and it really is a sweet bike.
    What bike is that??
    Looks great...SS with 29x2.8 Rear Tire Clearance!!! Alloy?

mtbr member
    shaynec appears to be riding a 2020 Fuse
    https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...l#post14167217

mtbr member
    Vassago teasing the new Verhauen on their Instagram.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B0OEU0pA...on_share_sheet

Edit: added link to new Verhauen at start of thread.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-29-2019 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SourWortBrewer View Post
    What bike is that??
    Looks great...SS with 29x2.8 Rear Tire Clearance!!! Alloy?
    It is the newest Fuse. I bought it frame only. Alloy, the rear tire is a McFly.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Vassago teasing the new Verhauen on their Instagram.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B0OEU0pA...on_share_sheet

Edit: added link to new Verhauen at start of thread.
    That looks great. I spotted some older generations at my last race and they were beautiful bikes. I really like the black and red.

mtbr member
    Great list(s)!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just built up the https://eskercycles.com/products/hayduke for my son
    Itís a really nicely made frame, and it comes with a Wolf Tooth headset, Maxle TA and all the clips and stuff to use a dropper or cap it and the different down tube routing and 3 water bottle mounts. The frame is really light, and built up with gears as follows it weighs 28#
    34Fox 130 fork
    Thompson stem and seat post
    Renthal aluminum bars
    Ergon GE1 slim grips
    WTB Rocket saddle
    Hadley hubs on 29er Velocity Blunt rim in back and RF Arc35 in front
    Shimano 1x11 shifter and der.
    New Shimano 4 piston trail brakes
    Terivail Ehline 2.3 in back and 2.5 front. The tan walls

Anyway, now Iím considering building up a 27.5 plus version but SS of course.
    Maybe a 34 Fox SC and some lighter parts it will be a 24# rig
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Soma, Kona, Esker, and RSD all seem to have frames closer in price to the KM. It's a difficult comparison to make. The KM includes a fork too.
    Esker includes a Wolf tooth headset with spacers. The steel is really light too
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That new Chumba makes two from them I want... the Sendero and the Terlingua Ti... one day!

mtbr member
    Add a link and some info about it, please. No need to quote my entire list, just add your own items.
    Well, I see you finally added it, it does no good to add bikes to the list in other than the OP, that's how these list threads get bunged up.
    Canfield R1OT SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    https://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/
    This is an interesting company that sells really curvy double butted Ti frames with slider drop outs for only $2500.
    They also have a belt drive option.
    The frames look beautiful and have some nice looking etched graphics
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Cycologist
    https://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/
    This is an interesting company that sells really curvy double butted Ti frames with slider drop outs for only $2500.
    They also have a belt drive option.
    The frames look beautiful and have some nice looking etched graphics
    Beautiful bikes, I really love the clean, ultra subtle branding look. I have two bikes I've had powder coated and I just left them blank, no decals, etc.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Jamis Dragon Slayer

singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20-jamis-dragon-slayer.jpg

Ovaries on the Outside

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    https://www.identitibikes.com/aka/

Indentiti AKA. Aluminum frame. Looks kind of interesting.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    https://nsbikes.com/surge-evo,115,pl.html

I asked can i tension the chain using sliding dropouts from NS.

Answer: ĒHi'

The answer is NOPE!

Sorry you have to use chain tensionerĒ

Can somebody explain me? I understand it might affect tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpe View Post
    https://nsbikes.com/surge-evo,115,pl.html

I asked can i tension the chain using sliding dropouts from NS.

Answer: ĒHi'

The answer is NOPE!

Sorry you have to use chain tensionerĒ

Can somebody explain me? I understand it might affect tire clearance.
    I don't see why you couldn't from a mechanical standpoint. From a geometry standpoint, you might want a specific chainstay length, and you may not be able to get it if you're using the dropouts for tension. The bike is designed to be run at both extremes though, so tire clearance shouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Mine has 29x2.5Ē Teravail Ehlineís on i35 rims. I fits with extra room on chain stays. The only issue would be taller or more ďlight bulbĒ fitting wide tires and narrow rims would probably hit the the back of the seat tube.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Your correct, the bend is very slight and will hinder tall tires or fatter tires mounted to narrow rims that get a ďlight bulbĒ effect. Mine are 29x2.5Ē tires on i35 rims with out clearance issues
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I have a 135x10 bolt on SS Hadley hub. For only $600 for this frame it would be fun to build up a klunker SS.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    There are also a whole segment of 26" dirt jumper frames available that are ready for SS.
    Super short stays on all of them.

Chromag Monk, Octane One Zircus/Melt/Void, Haro Steel Reserve, many others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    so if you guys had to chose one single speed specific frame and frame material what would you go with for ? carbon,aluminum,or steel
    i currently ride a 2015 aluminum frame superfly SS , which is amazing super fast... Trek no longer offers the Superfly SS..

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by superflySS View Post
    so if you guys had to chose one single speed specific frame and frame material what would you go with for ? carbon,aluminum,or steel
    Is this one question or two? Or three? Seems all could be resolved with a single answer if you just organized your words in a more concise manor.

i currently ride a 2015 aluminum frame superfly SS , which is amazing super fast... Trek no longer offers the Superfly SS..
    Are you in the market for a new frame or something?

I think 90% of SSers are going to prefer/seek steel frames.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    yup, I'm looking into getting a new single speed frame. so most would prefer steel over aluminum correct ?

mtbr member
    yup, I'm looking into getting a new single speed frame. so most would prefer steel over aluminum correct ?
    Given the choice, I think pretty much all of us would take steel over aluminum. Steel vs. carbon is a bit more of a debate though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wanna ride bikes?
    That's what I said. What is this, Abbott and Costello?

Here, I'll quote it again so I don't have to repeat myself.

I think 90% of SSers are going to prefer/seek steel frames.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mbtr member
    Steel is overwhelmingly most popular for SS. It's not a performance thing; it's the heaviest. But SS bikes are pretty lightweight anyway, and steel has advantages-

-steel is damn near bonk-proof. Even if you dent it... whatever.
    -steel is not expensive.
    -steel is very well understood from a frame design perspective. A designer shouldn't get it wrong, and a savvy customer can know a lot about it by sight.
    -SS can flex the heck out of frames, and steel is very tolerant of that. That's a little extra insurance for long term durability.
    -it's not difficult to design a flexy steel frame that is durable.
    -since it's already the heaviest material, designers are less tempted to make dumb decisions to save weight. SS is already suboptimal for climbing.
    -nothing is cooler than a dude with a novelty beard, a wool jersey, and a bolt-on flask holder riding a steel bike.

So basically, steel lends itself to the values of many SS'ers. And so there's a lot of steel SS bikes... so that's what sells.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    thanks guys... i'll be looking for a steel frame to build up my next SS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I retired a Ti SS when I got my steel Verhauan, it suits me in every way. One of the things that surprised me is how quiet steel is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm looking at the Surly Karate Monkey for a SS build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's two choices

https://reebcycles.com/bikes/mountain/dikyelous2/

This one is my signature bike, I chose to have non slider drop outs but we can easily do them on this:
    https://reebcycles.com/bikes/mountain/redikyelous/

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    This one is my signature bike, I chose to have non slider drop outs but we can easily do them on this:
    https://reebcycles.com/bikes/mountain/redikyelous/
    Didn't know sliding dropouts were an option on this, but had a hunch since they offer it as belt drive compatible.

I really like the geo on this frame and the tubing too. But...

Yet another great looking frame that doesn't come in XL.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Yet another great looking frame that doesn't come in XL.
    How tall are you? Jeff is 6'4" and the "long" size of that bike sounds huge. What part of the largest size sounds too small for your taste?

Wanna ride bikes?
    How tall are you? Jeff is 6'4" and the "long" size of that bike sounds huge. What part of the largest size sounds too small for your taste?
    I'm 6'3". The Geometry chart on the website (which is annoyingly only available in Imperial. We get it, it's made in USA. The entire bike industry uses the metric system, get on board.) shows a 18" seattube, 485mm Reach. Pretty typical Large dimensions for a "progressive" bike.

The Reach on my new trail bike is 510mm with a 60mm stem, so I could easily handle a 530mm Reach with a nice short 40mm stem, but only if I go custom. I'd like to try a properly short stem one day.

I'd love to ride one of these though, looks pretty sweet.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    To be fair, a frame with a 485mm reach is LONG by conventional standards. If you want an endurobro-long bike, it's not for you. Jeff is an inch taller than you and, if you've seen him ride, it's obviously not holding him back.

Wanna ride bikes?

Good job!

To be fair, a frame with a 485mm reach is LONG by conventional standards. If you want an endurobro-long bike, it's not for you. Jeff is an inch taller than you and, if you've seen him ride, it's obviously not holding him back.
    Are we sure he's riding a stock Large frame? I genuinely doubt it if he's 6'4".

Does he do 3-6 hour fun rides, or is he making short videos for youtube?

To expand, briefly, on my reasoning, with chainstays that short and a BB that's not super low (a good thing) you're going to need a long front center to keep the bike balanced.
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 12-26-2019 at 06:30 AM.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mbtr member
    They need to get metric geo posted up at REEB. Imperial measures makes them look like they just rip van winkle'd the last 20 years.

To expand, briefly, on my reasoning, with chainstays that short and a BB that's not super low (a good thing) you're going to need a long front center to keep the bike balanced.
    Are 60-70mm stems truly dead? I don't see them as a detriment necessarily. This bike has a pretty long FC; it'll just steer slow.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member

Does he do 3-6 hour fun rides, or is he making short videos for youtube?

I've crossed paths with Jeff personally. He's most likely 6'4". in fact, look that up yourself, it's not hard to find stats like that on a professional rider.

I don't know exactly what he does on that bike. he has other bikes. why don't you ask him? I don't think he'd go to the trouble of riding a bike that limits him. no one would do that.

considering he posts in this thread, ask him if he's riding a stock large frame. that would be silly if he's not. I've seen videos of him climbing Horsethief bench and descending Cat Mountain on it, so if it works for him, it works for him. his riding speaks for itself, so I don't think he needs to explain why his bike should suit everyone else, because he probably knows that it doesn't suit everyone, just like a bike with ocean liner of a front end doesn't suit everyone. if it does not work for you, then buy something else. it's not that hard. if you need a longer front end on a bike with a high BB and short chainstays, then that's what you need. not everyone has the same tastes as you.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I get what you're saying, and I'm certainly not implying he's doing it wrong.

ask him if he's riding a stock large frame. that would be silly if he's not.
    I guess my question was more- what makes you think he's not riding a custom XL version of that frame that isn't available to the public?
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

psycho cyclo addict
    I retired a Ti SS when I got my steel Verhauan, it suits me in every way. One of the things that surprised me is how quiet steel is.
    Fascinating... I have Ti and Steel SS's and do not notice one being quieter than the other... Ti has a bit more springy-ness IMO.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Agreed. 485 is long and right on par with my XL Yeti's and my friends Ripmo and Hightower.

I just received my Reeb ReDikyelous frame in size long (I am 6'3" as well) and waiting on a few parts to finish my build. To be honest the sizing of the bike is more along the lines of short = medium, medium = large, long = xlarge. In speaking with Reeb and watching Jeff's YouTube videos it is confirmed that he is in fact riding a long version of the bike and not a one off unicorn.

AKA Pat McGroin
    Mar 2008
    Anybody mention Reeb yet? Hardcore style 29 hardtails, PMW sliders, steel, 407mm chainstays!!!!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Anybody mention Reeb yet? Hardcore style 29 hardtails, PMW sliders, steel, 407mm chainstays!!!!
    All the bikes are listed in the OP, including Reeb.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelofverdun View Post
    That's already listed above, but thank you for contributing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    That's already listed above, but thank you for contributing.
    Looks like 'Canfield' is title where 'Reeb Cycles' should be and the Nimble 9 is unlisted.

mtbr member
    Ah, it was there at one time but I messed up the brackets the last time I updated the list. it needed updating anyway because the 2020 model is listed on a new page.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Last edited by shaynec; 01-03-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: should have replied with quote

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Fascinating... I have Ti and Steel SS's and do not notice one being quieter than the other... Ti has a bit more springy-ness IMO.
    When I put the Ti together the first thing I noticed was how loud the 54 tooth engagement was with the DT hubs. I swapped them out for the 18's, no big deal. When I put the steel together and noticed that the bike sounds seemed muted, I but the 54's back in the 240's to see if I noticed it as much and I didn't. Conclusion, I'm sensitive, like a delicate flower.

psycho cyclo addict
    When I put the Ti together the first thing I noticed was how loud the 54 tooth engagement was with the DT hubs. I swapped them out for the 18's, no big deal. When I put the steel together and noticed that the bike sounds seemed muted, I but the 54's back in the 240's to see if I noticed it as much and I didn't. Conclusion, I'm sensitive, like a delicate flower.
    LOL-

Some of my friends bitched and moaned when I had 54 star ratchets in one of my DT hubs so I went back to 36ís (and use 18ís in others). Guess Iím ďinsensitiveĒ and my fat arse blocks the ďexcessive noiseĒ haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Ah, it was there at one time but I messed up the brackets the last time I updated the list. it needed updating anyway because the 2020 model is listed on a new page.
    Thanks @mack_turtle for working hard to round up all the info - This is my most visited post/bible on mtbr.

mtbr member
    Thanks @mack_turtle for working hard to round up all the info - This is my most visited post/bible on mtbr.
    x2
    Thanks a lot

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    LOL-

Some of my friends bitched and moaned when I had 54 star ratchets in one of my DT hubs so I went back to 36ís (and use 18ís in others). Guess Iím ďinsensitiveĒ and my fat arse blocks the ďexcessive noiseĒ haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just love farting around with this stuff, I want to know for myself. I have all 3 ratchets as well, I can't remember why.

mtbr member
    Think it's a custom XL (19.5):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hwOysXXa4E&t=52s

mtbr member
    Agreed! Thanks mack!
    Finally found the wife a steel SS 27.5 in XS thanks to this thread.

Hayduke arrived Friday ...along with all the rain

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by willawry'd View Post
    Per the guys at Reeb he is riding a standard "long" size as listed on their website. Like stated in the video the reach on the long size is slightly longer than their Dikyelous2 in a XL size. He made that video well before they had the bike listed and as we know now they are not listing the bike in a typical S, M, L, XL format.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newm View Post
    Per the guys at Reeb he is riding a standard "long" size as listed on their website. Like stated in the video the reach on the long size is slightly longer than their Dikyelous2 in a XL size. He made that video well before they had the bike listed and as we know now they are not listing the bike in a typical S, M, L, XL format.
    My apologies...I must have missed that in your post.

Wonder why they are recommending a "Long" for me at 6'0". Maybe I need to reconnect with them to confirm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Giant xtc is still ssable in 2020. Boost, carbon, 27.5 x 3.0 or 29 and some people have used 29x3.0.

What does the rear dropout look like, almost looks a builtin tensioner and made for SS

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMTB View Post
    What does the rear dropout look like, almost looks a builtin tensioner and made for SS
    It is made for SS. No rigging needed. Ill get a pic soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMTB View Post
    Yes, it's got sliding dropouts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rod
    mtbr member
    Edit for context: Someone asked about the dropouts on the XTC.

Here's a pic of the right dropout. It can be ss or ran with gears. The hanger for gears has been cut off for a clean look.

Last edited by Rod; 08-18-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Mone La Roca- La Roca ‚ÄĒ MONńď

Fillet brazed, higher than normal BB which means you can run 26+, 27.5, B+, 29er, or 29+ wheels/tires. Can also run a variety of forks. Nice short chainstays but not a super long Reach. Good looking frame, and I love the adjustable chainstays.

Article- https://theradavist.com/2020/01/mone...jah-part-deux/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20-screen-shot-2020-01-24-3.11.30-am.jpg  

singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20-screen-shot-2020-01-24-3.17.11-am.jpg  

SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That drop out design is extremely clever. Wonder how well it works. I'm a sucker for fillet brazing and the geo looks pretty sweet...

mtbr member
    Speaking of clever dropout designs, Moonmen makes frames with extendable chainstays and flexible seat stays:

Mension ‚ÄĒ Moonmen Bikes

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Stooge Mk4 is about $775 landed in the states. Includes a fork and EBB. Cant ever be ran with a suspension fork so a bit limiting in that regard.

Was originally thinking about a locally welded VerHeuan but not in the budget.

I'm seeing the 2020 Kona Unit around $550 with fork. That might be the best deal going for an SS ready frame/fork combo, right?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Can Myth be included in the list again? All the models on my site (and full customs of course) can be built with Paragon sliding or rocker dropouts.

https://mythcycles.com/bikes/wyvern/
    XC geo, 27.5+ / 29 hardtail

https://mythcycles.com/bikes/talos/
    XC/Trail geo, 29x2.6 - 29x3.0 hardtail

https://mythcycles.com/bikes/slaypnir/
    All Mountain geo, fits up to 29x2.6 hardtail

Thanks!
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erichimedes View Post
    Can Myth be included in the list again? All the models on my site (and full customs of course) can be built with Paragon sliding or rocker dropouts.

XC geo, 27.5+ / 29 hardtail

XC/Trail geo, 29x2.6 - 29x3.0 hardtail

All Mountain geo, fits up to 29x2.6 hardtail

Thanks!
    IDK, you should probably send me an XL frame to confirm. 29+ or full suspension version, I'm not picky.

TIA
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    IDK, you should probably send me an XL frame to confirm. 29+ or full suspension version, I'm not picky.

TIA
    Sounds good, I will!

Just as soon as you send the check.

You heard about the dually already? That bit of information spread like wildfire.
    Durango, CO

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erichimedes View Post
    Sounds good, I will!

Just as soon as you send the check.

You heard about the dually already? That bit of information spread like wildfire.
    You can't sneak a steel full suspension bike by me. I started the thread for Pete's sake. You should definitely post up some more pics and details when the time comes. https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/s...s-1102669.html

(Plus I follow you on the Gram. Good stuff! And just listened to the "Shut up and build bikes" podcast. Seriously though, you're terrible at keeping secrets, apparently.)
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can't sneak a steel full suspension bike by me. I started the thread for Pete's sake. You should definitely post up some more pics and details when the time comes. https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/s...s-1102669.html

(Plus I follow you on the Gram. Good stuff! And just listened to the "Shut up and build bikes" podcast. Seriously though, you're terrible at keeping secrets, apparently.)
    Ok, fair. I'm obviously not trying that hard to keep it a secret. I'm going to do a writeup on the prototype here in the next week and I'll post a bit about it when that's done. I hadn't seen that thread before, that's awesome there's some love for the steel full sussers!
    But, OT. Thanks for considering my singlespeeds for the list (?)
    Durango, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It doesn't look to me like the curent giant XTC is singlespeedable. The 2020 looks to not have the previous sliding dropouts the 2019s did. I'm casually looking for one of these, if i could do a 2020 it would widen my search a bit.

mtbr member
    somehow this flew beneath my radar all this time: Milwaukee Bicycles

The Grit 29er has nice rocker dropouts. everything is a bit old school with a "steep" head tube angle, long chainstays, straight head tube, and 135x10 rear axle. some of you are really into that.

edit- I said these were made in USA. a bunch of Milwaukee's other stuff is MUSA but not the Grit.

Cycologist
    somehow this flew beneath my radar all this time: Milwaukee Bicycles

The Grit 29er has nice rocker dropouts. everything is a bit old school with a "steep" head tube angle, long chainstays, straight head tube, and 135x10 rear axle. some of you are really into that. but for $525 USD for an American-made frame, that's a deal!
    Aren't Milwaukee bikes manufactured by Waterford/Gunnar?

Just looked at your link, it says they (or at least the Grit) are handmade in Taiwan. Reynolds 853 main tubes but 1-1/8" headtube and quick release.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    71.5 HTA. Hell yea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Aren't Milwaukee bikes manufactured by Waterford/Gunnar?

Just looked at your link, it says they (or at least the Grit) are handmade in Taiwan. Reynolds 853 main tubes but 1-1/8" headtube and quick release.
    You're right. I fixed that. confusing.

yeah, it's old school. for those of you who are looking for an old school type of bike, there is it. the top tube is short enough that i'd consider putting a rigid fork, drop bar, and semi-slick 50mm tires as a monstercross bike.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Just double sided tape? It held ok?
    Sorry, just saw this. I used some 3m vhb tape, which is insanely strong. It held great. This stuff can hold you and I up.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    It doesn't look to me like the curent giant XTC is singlespeedable. The 2020 looks to not have the previous sliding dropouts the 2019s did. I'm casually looking for one of these, if i could do a 2020 it would widen my search a bit.
    2020 Advanced + still has sliding dropouts. 2020 and 2021 Advanced 29 do not.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Just noticed Myth Cycles isn't on the list, he's got a few pretty sweet bikes that are available as SS.

Wyvern- B+/29er 120mm XC

Slaypnir- Aggressive 140-160 AM 29er

Talos 29+
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting those, very good looking bikes and the geo seems pretty spot on!

battle stag commander
    Just noticed Myth Cycles isn't on the list, he's got a few pretty sweet bikes that are available as SS.
    Slaypnir- Aggressive 140-160 AM 29er

Hey, that's my bike!

I mean aside from them being mentioned a few times, they haven't been mentioned at all.singlespeed bikes and frames 2019-20-img_5935.jpg

compression messed the photo up. you get the idea. great bike. Just rebuilt the wheels with hydras. Next upgrade is an avy cartridge with HSB.

Had a beautiful 40 miles yesterday on mixed old forest road and singletrack, DIY fundraiser ride for a local non profit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great list- esp since I've suddenly been hit with upgraditis. I'm currently on a 2017 Soma Juice and like it, but wish the CS were shorter (445) and the HA a little slacker (69).

Okay to ask for some opinions here in this list thread? Currently looking at the Chumba Sendero and Vassago Optimus ti.

Sendero gets great reviews, but I'm having trouble swallowing a steel frame at $1699 (plus more for a color other than avocado). Also, BB is a bit higher than I'm used to, but that might be okay.

Optimus would be only slightly more $ for a ti frame. Secondarily considering a Chameleon C for $1299 which actually seems like a pretty good deal relatively speaking

Would love to hear thoughts from folks that have experience with these frames, or have closely examined them like I've started to. Thanks!

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ it's hard to compare geometry since Vassago's website is out of date and lacking a geometry chart...

Sendero looks pretty good, lots of positive reviews. My only gripe is that they refer to it on the website as 'Downcountry'. I guess we have downcountry hardtails now too. :facepalm:

The Chameleon doesn't interest me. Not a fan of the geometry and I think I remember reading reports of the frame being stiff?

Either of the metal options would make a sweet SS, though I'm not buying any frame without being able to analyze a geometry chart.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    Sendero gets great reviews, but I'm having trouble swallowing a steel frame at $1699 (plus more for a color other than avocado). Also, BB is a bit higher than I'm used to, but that might be okay.
    that's made in USA pricing. I can't say whether that is worth the extra $$$, but the additional cost of domestic manufacture is always there. it's comparable to any other US-made frame. the $200 upcharge for color is weird though. they must have gotten a special deal on doing a bunch of them in that oddball color.

WNC Native
    Secondarily considering a Chameleon C for $1299 which actually seems like a pretty good deal relatively speaking !
    If you are a heavier rider, I'd probably stay clear of the Chameleon or at minimum buy new to have warranty. There have been issues with rear flex causing tire rub on a few of them. A close riding buddy had one warranty replaced after 3 rides.

mtbr member
    ^ it's hard to compare geometry since Vassago's website is out of date and lacking a geometry chart...
    It's the same as the VerHauen per Tom (owner)...and others on this forum.

mtbr member
    Great list- esp since I've suddenly been hit with upgraditis. I'm currently on a 2017 Soma Juice and like it, but wish the CS were shorter (445) and the HA a little slacker (69).

Okay to ask for some opinions here in this list thread? Currently looking at the Chumba Sendero and Vassago Optimus ti.

Optimus would be only slightly more $ for a ti frame. Secondarily considering a Chameleon C for $1299 which actually seems like a pretty good deal relatively speaking

Would love to hear thoughts from folks that have experience with these frames, or have closely examined them like I've started to. Thanks!
    The Vassago VerHauen is $1,300 ($500 cheaper than the OptimusTi) and slightly more compliant too.

Now that Ionic Johnny Rotten peaked my interest back when Steve (Hardtail Party) first reviewed it but ownership has already changed as well as the tubing (from 853 to "a special blend of Tange Prestige and Deda"...whatever that means).

Wanna ride bikes?
    Well then it should be a quick copy and paste to update the website.
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks all for the replies!

that's made in USA pricing. I can't say whether that is worth the extra $$$, but the additional cost of domestic manufacture is always there. it's comparable to any other US-made frame. the $200 upcharge for color is weird though. they must have gotten a special deal on doing a bunch of them in that oddball color.
    I donít mind paying a bit a premium for made in USA, and especially for what seems to be a great brand/company. I agree that color is oddball though, so now weíre talking $1899.

The Vassago VerHauen is $1,300 ($500 cheaper than the OptimusTi) and slightly more compliant too.
    Now that Ionic Johnny Rotten peaked my interest back when Steve (Hardtail Party) first reviewed it but ownership has already changed as well as the tubing (from 853 to "a special blend of Tange Prestige and Deda"...whatever that means).
    Didnít want to list too many frames, but the VerHauen is on the consideration list too. And thanks for sharing about the Ionic. Watching the Hardtail Party review was certainly compelling. Is a bit concerning about ownership and tubing changes.

Well then it should be a quick copy and paste to update the website.
    I agree, Vassago should update the website. Actually have emailed with Tom and he confirmed the geo is the same as the VerHauen. He also indicated a new slightly more XC ti frame is in the works, so I've been waiting to see that too. Maybe heíll credit me if I work on his website

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    If you are a heavier rider, I'd probably stay clear of the Chameleon or at minimum buy new to have warranty. There have been issues with rear flex causing tire rub on a few of them. A close riding buddy had one warranty replaced after 3 rides.
    Iím not heavier (155 lbs.), but thanks, I didnít hear about the flex. Thatís on the carbon frame? Iíve also read of some intermittent issues with the dropouts. For my singlespeed, I really wanted steel or ti, but thought Iíd throw the Chameleon c out to the group to see if there was a strong case for it.

Thanks again everyone. Iíll continue to evaluate and circle back when I pull the trigger on a frame.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    The carbon chameleons are stiff (too stiff for my liking), but the aluminum chameleons feel great, I'm a big fan. They ride softer than most steel frames. I'd be totally happy with an aluminum chameleon + slack-r as my only bike.
    Last edited by hardtail party; 10-26-2020 at 11:44 AM.

WNC Native
    Iím not heavier (155 lbs.), but thanks, I didnít hear about the flex. Thatís on the carbon frame? Iíve also read of some intermittent issues with the dropouts. For my singlespeed, I really wanted steel or ti, but thought Iíd throw the Chameleon c out to the group to see if there was a strong case for it.
    Yes that was the carbon frame. At your weight, it's probably not even a concern then. However I'd still lean towards AL myself still for the Chameleon ( for the reasons Hardtail Party just mentioned above).

mtbr member
    May 2006

Fall 2020?

Does anyone have a Fall 2020 update to which of these bikes and/or frames are even available right now? I would like to do a hardtail SS build over the winter but nothing (except very high end) is available thanks to covid.

Please let me know if you have any good places to look.....Or should I just wait until spring when the market is flooded with good used bikes?

battle stag commander
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerjett View Post
    Does anyone have a Fall 2020 update to which of these bikes and/or frames are even available right now? I would like to do a hardtail SS build over the winter but nothing (except very high end) is available thanks to covid.

Please let me know if you have any good places to look.....Or should I just wait until spring when the market is flooded with good used bikes?

Some brands will be on top of it by the holiday season, some other brands are, uh..."screwed" in the parlance of our time. On top of that, it makes a big difference what part of north america you are in right now, so whats true in the Northeast for me right now might be super different in the rockies or wherever. My suggestion, get your list of ideal hardtails, look up dealers, and start making phone calls now. Be prepared to offer a deposit to lock up something if they say they have confirmation they will get it. If you want to avoid all that crap, start your search for a used bike.

If you are looking for frames, some brands are sitting on piles of frames, but waiting for the components to hang off them. You may have better luck with this, again, it just really depends. That's all more discouraging than helpful, apologies. Not much in the bike industry if helpful right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fuse or Chameleon?

I sold my SS a few years ago (Ti El Mar), and am looking to get a new SS but with slacker geo, closer to that of my FS trail bike. I have my choice narrowed to a Fuse or Chameleon, both with well-reviewed aluminum frames. Looking at the $2,400/$2,500 version of each. Both are out of stock until Spring.

Bike will be used for mostly buff hand cut singletrack with a few rock gardens, drops less than 2'.

I will probably replace the stock wheels on either bike with a set of 30mm internal rim wheels with high engagement and run 2.4 -2.6 tires for added traction and comfort, so the wheel spec on each stock bike isn't determinative for me.

Anyone with experience on the both bikes (Fuse from 20200-2021 and Chameleon of 2017-2021)? Or one bike? Or anyone with thoughts on choosing between the two?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    I sold my SS a few years ago (Ti El Mar), and am looking to get a new SS but with slacker geo, closer to that of my FS trail bike. I have my choice narrowed to a Fuse or Chameleon, both with well-reviewed aluminum frames. Looking at the $2,400/$2,500 version of each. Both are out of stock until Spring.

Bike will be used for mostly buff hand cut singletrack with a few rock gardens, drops less than 2'.

I will probably replace the stock wheels on either bike with a set of 30mm internal rim wheels with high engagement and run 2.4 -2.6 tires for added traction and comfort, so the wheel spec on each stock bike isn't determinative for me.

Anyone with experience on the both bikes (Fuse from 20200-2021 and Chameleon of 2017-2021)? Or one bike? Or anyone with thoughts on choosing between the two?

Thanks.
    No experience with the fuse, but I LOVE my alloy chameleon. And this is from a person who hasn't owned a non steel/Ti bike in a decade. The cham rides REALLY nice, apparently all those saying alloy has come a long way were right. I looked at the fuse a bit, but didn't see the same glowing ride quality being referenced in reviews, so I skipped it. I bought mine frame only and built it up, and it is fantastic. I also LOVE the dropout adjustment, much better than the EBB's I am used to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iím itching for a new SS frame too.
    The choices the SC Chameleon or the Salsa Timberjack. I like the fact that have drop outs for my 142x12 SS hubs. Iím not a fan of spacer kits and itís nice when you can swap wheels easily with other bikes.
    Iíve heard the carbon Chameleon is not the best for SS due to chainring clearance. I havenít heard much about the Timberjack.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Me three. Looking at those two as well as a nimble 9. Have you seen the reviews on the HardtailParty YouTube channel?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    All 3 are very fun bikes. Personally, I'd pick the chameleon and n9 over the tj. The timberjacks aren't specced with great forks. I'd also recommend taking a look at the 2020-2021 m4 fuse as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    All 3 are very fun bikes. Personally, I'd pick the chameleon and n9 over the tj. The timberjacks aren't specced with great forks. I'd also recommend taking a look at the 2020-2021 m4 fuse as well.
    Thanks you. What would be the factors you'd consider when choosing between the new fuse and the chameleon? The n9 also looks great, but not a brand carried by my local shops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    Hey @hardtailparty - I was also intrigued by your review of the Ionic Johnny Rotten. Watched it again last night, in fact.

Iím struggling to get info from them though. Do you have any insights about their production process or connections to Ionic?

The N9 looks like a killer bang for the buck, but Iím a dedicated rigid SSer, and the folks at Canfield agreed that Iíd need a rigid fork with much longer than a 500mm A:C, and I donít think Iím gonna find a reputable one...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Hey @hardtailparty - I was also intrigued by your review of the Ionic Johnny Rotten. Watched it again last night, in fact.

Iím struggling to get info from them though. Do you have any insights about their production process or connections to Ionic?

The N9 looks like a killer bang for the buck, but Iím a dedicated rigid SSer, and the folks at Canfield agreed that Iíd need a rigid fork with much longer than a 500mm A:C, and I donít think Iím gonna find a reputable one...
    Never mind. Ionic got back to me yesterday afternoon. They just updated their website with some of the details I wanted.

Apparently the Johnny Rotten will fit a 29x2.6 out back, will ship the first pre-orders in Feb, and will cost $1950 for frame only. Thatís a tough pill to swallow for a stock steel frame. For less than $1700 the Chumba Sendero and the Myth Talos check very similar boxes with more flexibility.

mtbr member
    Just got this from Esker:Japhy Steel Hardtail 29er
    $750
    HT: 66
    ST: 75
    CS: 425-437
    Plenty of room for 29x2.8 fully slammed
    Fork: 120

Wanna ride bikes?
    $750
    Read about this yesterday, definitely a nice looking frame well under $1k. Nice to have another good frame only option available!
    SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iíve been a huge fan of Esker and have a Hayduke that I have built as a geared bike and swap out my wheels between 27.5plus to 29 to Mullet plus https://youtu.be/VYmlKRR-VP8
    Iím definitely interested in this new frame, I already know how well Esker does steel and nice their frames ride.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was also considering the new Surly KM but now that Esker just announced the Japhy, itís at the top of my list.
    Obviously aluminum frames are going to be lighter and honestly the new aluminum frames are not as harsh as the old ones but steel still seems to just be more alluring.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Looks nice, but the 110mm headtube on the XL is about 40mm shy of what I would want.

$750
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff