Singlespeed Bike Weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Singlespeed Bike Weight?

I'm thinking of *attempting* to convert an old department store mountain bike I have into a single speed beater for commuting to school. My only concern is that this thing weighs a ton. It wouldn't surprise me if it weighs 40 plus pounds. I suppose with smaller tires a rigid fork and no derailleurs, amongst other things, the weight of this thing won't be as bad.

My question is a simple one and it is this: Should I try to convert the old mountain bike or would it be advisable to try and find an old road bike? I ask this having no experience with singlespeeds. I'm a little concerned that with no gears the thing will be damn near impossible to peddle given its weight.

viva la v-brakes!
    for a commuter, get an old 10 speed and convert it, hands down

horizontal drop outs make a ss conversion easier plus road bikes are much less attractive to thieves.

that and it will be faster, lighter and better built
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Ditto. An older roadie makes a much better commuter than any department store mountain bike. You'll be surprised what you can find through Craig's List, garage sales, and pawn shops. Your cheap single-speed road conversion is out there, I promise.
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

mtbr member
    Old Road bike SS
    I love mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0