Singleator tech question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Singleator tech question...

I recently purchased a singleator and installed it on my old Fila Taos MTB, in the process of the install, the O-Ring around the mounting bolt came out, i dissasembled it and reinstalled the o-ring, but it fell out again the next time i mounted it

how critical is the o-ring, i don't ride the Fila off road that much, and never in wet conditions, so mud won't be an issue, but i can't get the sodding o-ring to stay in place

which would be the preferred course of action here...

1; disassemble the singulator *again* (sigh...) and reinstall it, hoping that 3rd time's a charm

2; get some automotive silicone adhesive and put a thin bead in the gap where the o-ring goes

3; forget about the o-ring and don't worry
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my Singleator oring. I really don't think it will be a problem if you keep it clean.
    "The stupid shall be punished."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTech
    I recently purchased a singleator and installed it on my old Fila Taos MTB, in the process of the install, the O-Ring around the mounting bolt came out, i dissasembled it and reinstalled the o-ring, but it fell out again the next time i mounted it

how critical is the o-ring, i don't ride the Fila off road that much, and never in wet conditions, so mud won't be an issue, but i can't get the sodding o-ring to stay in place

which would be the preferred course of action here...

1; disassemble the singulator *again* (sigh...) and reinstall it, hoping that 3rd time's a charm

2; get some automotive silicone adhesive and put a thin bead in the gap where the o-ring goes

3; forget about the o-ring and don't worry

How did it just fall out?
    Must have been in contact with some other form of cleaning agent or fuel to make the o ring lose its shape.
    I have had my singulator apart a few times and the o ring has always stayed in place.
    I think the o ring is there to prevent water ingress,if you run in mainly dry conditions (Lucky B*****d) then you could probably get away with coating it with grease to seal it that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the process of tightening the mounting bolt pushes the o-ring out, had it apart 3X, happened every time

maybe the headseat/bracket grease would work to keep it clean inside

i've got an e-mail into Surly anyway
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!