singleator push up or down?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

singleator push up or down?

I just installed the singleator on my ss build. It comes with the push down spring installed and so that is the way I went but I saw a photo yesterday with it installed pushing up and I am not sure that might not be better.

What way are they generally installed? Seems like since it came with the down spring that is thought to be best. but i am wondering....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Up (at least in my opinion).

The only problem I can foresee would be clearance under the chainstay...but that seems quite unlikely. With it pulling up, you get more chain wrap around the cog, much less chance of the chain slipping, and I expect less wear on the drive chain (as the chain is in contact with more teeth at any given time, the force on any single link or tooth will be less). It's a snap to swap the spring if you decide to go that way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i like up, it provides more chain wrap which = less skipping..
    the chain will be a little shorter this way so if you plan on swapping out cogs it might present an issue.

try both, see which you like better.

p.s. read the installation instructions with it, i think they (surly) suggest up

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    When I ran a SS tensioner on my old Kona Scab, I never had any problems with it in push-down mode. I didn't skip till it started getting bashed.

Nervous Descender
    Up. Better chain wrap = less skipping. Surly recommends installation this way (makes me wonder why they ship them with the "push down" spring installed- must be a Surly thing ). Also, it is more tucked away and protected from damage than in "push down" configuration. Finally, if the spring breaks, you can use a zip tie to keep tension on your chain and still finish your ride.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    I've tried both.....never had any problems with it in push-down mode, had to ziptie in the up mode....so i keep it in the down

mtbr member

guess either way is fine

I am just gonna keep it the way it is then... I don't think the instructions suggested one way or the other just how to swap it out. Either way, not gonna fool with it since it is on there and rollin' fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0