Singleator problem!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Singleator problem!!!

just got back from my first real singlespeed ride--warm up rides were just to check chain tension and the such--and everything was fine for a while , no chain skips, no thrown chain, feeling great keeping up with my geared friends, just great . . . then the chain comes off. a little troubleshooting reveals--no more springiness in the singleator. realized it was a little loose at its attachment point to the derailleur hanger--tightened it up--to still no avail. push it up--it stays there. push it down--stays there too. just moves back and forth with no springiness.

obviously, i'm thinking i lost a spring somewhere along the line, but this is maybe the fourth time i've ridden with the singleator--bought brand new--and i don't know really what happened or how to fix it. any ideas?

BTW, chainring, cog, and BMX chain are all brand new also. and i was running the singleator in the "push down" setting. also, i don't know if it came with an extra spring or whatever, but i moved about three days after i got it and don't have the instructions or any extra parts. stupid i know, but that's why i'm here.
    PS i may also post this question at the dirt rag discussion boards for other opinions, just FYI.
    thanks in advance.
    There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. (Howard Zinn)

Cracker-magnon
    Have you ever taken it apart? If not you probably over tensioned it and popped the spring out of one of the little holes on either end inside. pop the C-clip off and take a look. Hopefully you did not bend the spring (or break the end off).

They (at least mine did) came with 2 springs. One for pushing up, and an oppositely wound one for pulling down. I have used an old XT (early 8 speed) spring inside as well. I found that it was a better spring.

Hope that helps
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Out spokin'

Warning: post hijack

Dude, I just clicked on your 'happnin's' sig link and read this:

• thoughts
      Posted 10-05-2004 at 12:34 pm by gpsser

First committee meeting on Friday. Planning for the Ph.D. qualifying exams, in 3 weeks from today. That is a mere 505 hours (but who's counting), until a board of proffessors decides to tear me apart, and hopefully when it is over, let me move on and finish this degree. I have been in school way to long. I will be 35 by the time I finish this mess.What ever.... when this is over I am going to drink myself into stupor, and sit around in my underwear for a few days
    Dude, Barbie Camp would do you good. That is to say, at least you'd be surrounded by like-minded idiots. Don't miss it if you can.

--Sparty

P.S. And to think... you uttered those words right in the middle of the day. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Have you ever taken it apart? ...
    Hope that helps
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Dude, Barbie Camp would do you good. That is to say, at least you'd be surrounded by like-minded idiots. Don't miss it if you can.

--Sparty

P.S. And to think... you uttered those words right in the middle of the day. Sad.
    Yup, I know i should come.... But I have All Hallows Eve duty with the Joshman, so I am hauling the whole fam to a local race that morning so they can watch me destroy myself over 3 6-mile laps in the morning. I am coming in the spring. I promise.

I post those notes whenever I feel the need, and I definitely felt the need then.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Penis Goat!
    You can download the instructions from Surly's website. It sounds like you're not pre-tensioning the spring, which is necessary. You can use either an 18mm cone wrench or, if you're cheap like me, hold the Singleator in a certain spot while you tighten the mounting bolt.

Probably doesn't make much sense here, so download the instructions.

ballbuster

Second Singulator issue

Soorry to hijack, again, but I have a Singulator issue as well.

I guess I have an older one. The one wtih the U-shaped bracket. The problem I have is that the chain like to jump, grab hold of the U-shaped bracket, and whup it around, locking up the chain.

I've tried gorilla tightening all the bolts, using loctite, tensioning the krapp out of the chian, nothing seems to fix this.

I was thinking of replaceing the U-bracket with two plates of alu big enough for the chain not to jump out of.

Does anybody else have a fix for this... please don't say 'file the dropouts and get rid of the singulator'.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

I guess I have an older one. The one wtih the U-shaped bracket. The problem I have is that the chain like to jump, grab hold of the U-shaped bracket, and whup it around, locking up the chain.

I've tried gorilla tightening all the bolts, using loctite, tensioning the krapp out of the chian, nothing seems to fix this.

I was thinking of replaceing the U-bracket with two plates of alu big enough for the chain not to jump out of.

Does anybody else have a fix for this... please don't say 'file the dropouts and get rid of the singulator'.
    OK, get a Rollenlager. I never could get my singulator to work well.

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer
    I set the tension too high in my singulator and bent the springs (yes, both of them). I was going to have to buy a new singulator, then I took a hose clamp, pulling up on the singulator by clamping it to the chainstay. I was able to adjust the tension with the hose clamp. Very Redneck style, but it worked like a charm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy
    I set the tension too high in my singulator and bent the springs (yes, both of them). I was going to have to buy a new singulator, then I took a hose clamp, pulling up on the singulator by clamping it to the chainstay. I was able to adjust the tension with the hose clamp. Very Redneck style, but it worked like a charm.
    i too had a brand new Surly that died in 2 days. the spring broke, cutting a notch in the soft aluminum w/ the steel spring.

STUPID design....

so I did a ghetto fix like above, but I use 2 plastic zip ties.

haven't lost the chain since, and since I always carry zip ties in my tool kit anyway, I'm prepared for anything

MTBR.com Addict

Get a Paul Components Melvin!

Check out my rig, Third pic down is the Melvin. Works flawlessly so far. It's got a really strong spring in it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=bike+passion

The only thing you need to be aware of is when you install it, make sure you use an allen wrench that is squared off on the end. Don't use the type that have a ball end. If you use a ball end allen wrench, you WILL strip the deraileur mounting bolt. The guys at Paul Components were kind enough to send me a couple more, free of charge.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

Have you tried emailing Surly? In my experience, they've been VERY helpful...they've sent me a few stickers, a catalogue, and a Singleator spring all at no charge. I think that'd be the way to go.

ballbuster

I zip tied it...

... and changed it to the push-up position. I dunno what spring I have in there, (I got it second hand from JRM) but the tension seems to be better in push-up mode.

Heck, I may just bite the bullet and grind my dropouts out and eliminate a tensioner altogether. I'm kinda close to making that work, but I still want the option of using different cogs in there.

Second heck! It may be time for me to loose a couple of teeth on the rear cog anyway. 39*24 is a pretty wussy gear and it seems I can do my climbs pretty easily with that gear. I can almost make the Nike Site climb at China Camp with that gear. Maybe the new cog will hit the 'magic number' and work without a tensioner or the filed dropouts.

Either that, or I'll go back to a fixed deraillur. That was at least reliable, if not with slightly more drivetrain friction. I would still loose my chain on rare occasion, but at least that wasn't a stop to fix with tools kinda stop. Just a stop to hang the chain back on.

ballbuster

Bithcin!

I recently changed out a cassette for a bud, and it turns out that he had a 23t cog in there.... so I busted out the drill, removed the rivets and robbed it!

It turns out that the 23t cog lines up perfectly for me to get rid of the Singulator altogether and run a free spinning BMX style drivetrain without all those goofy parts!

All that, and I don't have to push too nasty a gear up the hills to get it, just slightly nastier. I ended up with the perfect chain tension. The chain has just a hair of slop (like 2-3mm deflection in the middle) and doesn't feel like it has any excess friction. My cranks spin backwards for days. I love it!

So I oughta figure out the math on this and get some a real SS cog and ring, so my chain won't fall off.

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer

Push up is definitely better.

and changed it to the push-up position. I dunno what spring I have in there, (I got it second hand from JRM) but the tension seems to be better in push-up mode.
    I never threw the chain with it in the Up position. You get more teeth on the chain that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Replace the Singleator cog and U-bracket with a MRP roller. You will need to drill out the roller bushing slightly and get a longer bolt but it runs quieter and smoother. Do a search on this forum and I think you'll find some pics of what it looks like when done. Conversion cost is arouund $9.

Recovering couch patato
    My singleator in the up position never offered the tensoin my riding style needs (and I'm too impatient or even stupid to set it up). First a small elastic bend did the trick, and when it broke on a ride, I found that the net on my Camelbak is made of elastic material as well. I bought my Surly Pacer and singleator not because of the vertical dropouts, rather than despite them. Just needed a baby blue SS crit bike.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Members who have read this thread: 0