Singleator issues...- Mtbr.com
    i like cheese.

New question here. Singleator issues...

I went for it this weekend, took a bike back from my brother and converted it to singlespeed... Wanted it done quickly and purchased a Surly singleator. Set it up spun it around a little, and no problem. However, when I got on the trail the "jockey wheel" would lock up and the chain would skip over it. My hypothesis is that it continually tightens itself through hard pedaling to the point that it locks up, because a few back pedals would loosen it back up and away I go. This blows, especially when grinding up hill. Greasing it up does not seem to help... Am I missing something in the set up?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    I went for it this weekend, took a bike back from my brother and converted it to singlespeed... Wanted it done quickly and purchased a Surly singleator. Set it up spun it around a little, and no problem. However, when I got on the trail the "jockey wheel" would lock up and the chain would skip over it. My hypothesis is that it continually tightens itself through hard pedaling to the point that it locks up, because a few back pedals would loosen it back up and away I go. This blows, especially when grinding up hill. Greasing it up does not seem to help... Am I missing something in the set up?
    I had nothing but problems with my singulator (partly due to operator error).
    Use an old dur as a tensioner and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    did you read the instructions?

the only prob with mine was a loose screw.

i like cheese.
    found the problem...

yeah... the bushing was missing when I bought it. gonna go get one today... that just my help...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Pull up mode works a lot better, for a lot of reasons, read about it on the Surlyblog.

Members who have read this thread: 0