JP1
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Single Speeds Here At Last

I finally picked up my new singler speeds from the bike shop.

One is a new 1x1 build, the other my 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo which has been converted using a new wheel with a Surly hub, ENO freewheel, Surly Singulator and SS chainring.

The 1x1 had its maiden voyage on Monday with a 20 mile ride. It is a great bike and the ride puts the old Fisher to shame and I never thought I'd find a bike which would do that.

I wanted a simple low maintenance carefree bike which would last many years, so I kept the 1x1 rigid and opted for V brakes. After my first ride I'm very pleased that I made that choice. The ride is super comfortable with the WTB 2.5 tire up front, and the brakes are as good as I'll ever need.

I had a couple of rides of the Fisher last week before getting the Surly. I was pleased how well the Singulator ran, but at first it did have a very annoying squeak in the pully wheel, but the shop stripped it down greased the bearing and made some adjustments and it is fine now. I know there are mixed opinions about the Singulator but I followed the advice of happy users who seem to mostly think it works best in the push-up setting and so far mine is working well.

After being on the Surly with its Torsion bar, going back to the Fisher with its 3 degree bend Answer bar seemed very uncomfortable. I might eventually put a Torsion bar on the Fisher too, or perhaps a Mary bar.

Here is a photograph of each bike.
    JP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JP1; 09-05-2007 at 01:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Monster truck tires on the 1x1 there.

Members who have read this thread: 0