Single Speeding in NY/ Hudson Highlands?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Single Speeding in NY/ Hudson Highlands?

I live in Peekskill, and am a 5 minute ride to the Blue Mountain reservation, which people have compared to a mountain biking heaven, at least in New York. Its nice and all, but unless you love bombing downhill on a full suspension rig, its not so fun on a SS. I cant seem to get the distances in that I am looking for. Any suggestions on trails in the area that are more SS friendly? (i.e. rolling singletrack?)

from the east
    I've never been to either, but both "The 909" in Pleasant Valley and "Stewart" in Newburgh have the reputation of being smoother, fast and flowy.

Myself, I ride my single speed at Blue more than anywhere else. What gearing do you run? This forum is full of people suggesting that a 2:1 ratio is good for everything, but no way. I ride 34/21 most of the time, and in the winter go down to 32/22 sometimes. Some people would tell you that kind of gearing is useless, but I never "spin out" and those gears get me up the hills way faster than I would've on a geared bike. Try lower gearing, and keep at it!

Eric.
    What power?!?

The power of Voodoo!!!

mtbr member
    i used to live in new paltz and we had a good amount of trails in that area. a lot of them are poached trails but there was some decent riding. hit up the folks at vicious cycles or any of the killer guys at bicycle depot and they would tell you whats up trail wise in that area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

My 2 pennies

I am with Eric on that one.... I recently did Blue Mountain with 32x18...... I think 32x20-22 would have been better...... Also, there are ton of trails that don't have those bombing downhills.... If you enter from Washing Street that is the best place to start and follow the utility trail close to the outskirts of the park..... Plenty of roots and rocks for everyone to have fun..... if you really don't like then you hit Graham Hills in P'ville that place flows really nice and plenty of packed dirt with some nice technical single track, but it is kind of small. Hey, I can't knock it, I have ridden it a lot. Of course, you could try the place in Carmel..... I forgot the name.... I hear that place is good. Don't forget...... Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by woodenarms
    I live in Peekskill, and am a 5 minute ride to the Blue Mountain reservation, which people have compared to a mountain biking heaven, at least in New York. Its nice and all, but unless you love bombing downhill on a full suspension rig, its not so fun on a SS. I cant seem to get the distances in that I am looking for. Any suggestions on trails in the area that are more SS friendly? (i.e. rolling singletrack?)
    I'm jealous of you! I live in kingston/woodstock area and wish I could import Blue upto ulster county. The first time I rode Blue was on my SS and I had no real trouble running 32 - 18. I admit that there are alot rock climbs and technical section that just are not feasable on the SS but, I thought that overall the place was very SS friendly. The last time I was there I rode my 1x8 and got to play a little more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Blue is killer and is totally ride able on a single, sounds like you just need to find a gear that works for you. I think that place has alot to offer not just for the free ride crowd. I run a 34 19 or 20 on my 29er and can ride just about any thing there but suffer a bit. Stewart is a blast and is a place you can run a 2 to 1 and maybe just walk some of the super steep ups.
    Even if you do not race you should do the Darkhorse 40 in August, it is a great vibe and killer 20 mile lap you get to do twice. Great riding there with some awesome flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0