a single speeder in wanting- Mtbr.com
    solid gold plated

Hope a single speeder in wanting

so im considering buying myself a single speed in a couple of months, figured ive the big bouncy full sus and wanted somthing completely different too, and a fully rigid steel single speed cant get much more different

ive been looking at whats about, and so far the only contenders ive found have been pretty obvious

the 26" on one inbred
    the 26" kona unit

or the 29" variants of the two.

im more inclined to stick to the 26", as its all ive ever ridden and should i ever decide on a fork it will make life alot easier, but im open to suggestion, especially if us taller folk are prime candidates (6'5 prime enough?)

im based in the uk, so i dont think i'll be able to get anything too boutique like salsa or surly but if you have any other suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated

atm the main choice is a 26" inbred, cus its the cheapest and has great reviews, unfortunately its also out of stock. does anyone know when they are coming back, and if they will be the same price as before i.e. £399

cheers
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da_eddio
    im more inclined to stick to the 26", as its all ive ever ridden and should i ever decide on a fork it will make life alot easier, but im open to suggestion, especially if us taller folk are prime candidates (6'5 prime enough?)
    Without a doubt, go with the 29er version of either bike. At 6'5" tall, you'll feel better on it. Just cause 26" is all you've ever ridden, doesn't make it right.

As for forks, why would choosing a 29er fork make life more difficult? There are plenty of good options on the market now with more on the way. Manitou has announced it's Minute 29 out soon and there are rumors flying around about Fox entering the market.

conjoinicorned
    go 29er Inbred! i love mine!

29 doesn't just make sense for tall guys, but also for SS! there are plenty of fork options out there...

but if you really want to stay 26, i still vote for the inbred. sweet, sweet ride.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

solid gold plated
    oh i thought there was only a very small handful off 29'er forks available, can you guys suggest any decent ones as the only one im even aware of is the rock shox reba.

do you guys find 29'ers any more difficult to manouvere on the trails, in terms of flicking the rear end? also whats a ball park figure for the extra weight of a 29'er compared to a 26'er?
    a message of inspiration from your friends at yoplait, fruit on the bottom, hope on top!

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    a fully rigid steel single speed cant get much more different
    I've never ridden a 29 but obviously you must go 29 to be *more* different.

Ali

mtbr member
    oh i thought there was only a very small handful off 29'er forks available, can you guys suggest any decent ones as the only one im even aware of is the rock shox reba.

do you guys find 29'ers any more difficult to manouvere on the trails, in terms of flicking the rear end? also whats a ball park figure for the extra weight of a 29'er compared to a 26'er?
    Decent forks, check out this thread on the 29er forum...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=268330

I've not found any difference in maneuverability between 26 and 29er. I have yet to find anything that I could ride with 26" wheels that I can't ride with 29" wheels. The opposite has been true on more than one occaision, however. I ride tight, twisty Midwest singletrack, for reference.

I've heard that an equally equipped 29er will be about 1-1.5 pounds heavier than it's 26er twin.

solid gold plated
    1-1.5 pounds isnt so bad, i was expecting it to be much heavier.

also where do you find all your tyres, i cant seem to find many in the uk?

mtbr member
    also where do you find all your tyres, i cant seem to find many in the uk?
    I get most of my tires through my local shops with a QBP account...don't know if QBP services shops in the UK or not. That includes the Kenda, IRC, Maxxis, Geax, Panaracer, WTB, and Schwalbe. Bontrager tires are available at Trek dealers. The Specialized tires (Fast Trak and Resolution) can be ordered off their website. Sorry, I don't know what the situation is like in the UK.

solid gold plated
    do you guys have any other suggestions beside the two ive already listed?

im really liking the 29'er inbred now, its grown on me hehe

Currently in Exile
    Not as boutique as either of the bikes you have already mentioned, but the Redline Monocogs are good options for fully rigid steel SS's You can get them in both 26" and 29" bikes. I don't know if they sell them in the UK though.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    These are very beautiful: http://singularcycles.com/ Haven“t ridden one though. Also dialled bikes love/hate looks nice.

solid gold plated
    wow those singular bikes look sweet! also quite expensive too, shame they dont offer a complete bike like the inbred 29'er

solid gold plated
    i just found this for cheap!

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...roductID=4144#

what do you guys think?

if the handle bar was changed out for somthing more appropriate do you think this would make a good SS or am i kidding myself?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It looks lika a heavy bike with low quality tubing.

Members who have read this thread: 0