Single speeder down- Mtbr.com
    Eric the Red

Single speeder down

Something really bad has happened down here in Oklahoma. Dr Steve Edstrom, state ss champ in 2001 and 2002 was hit by a car and seriously injured. He's in the ICU in Oklahoma City, and in very bad shape. His legs and pelvis were crushed, his ribs broken and lungs severly bruised. His head is ok, (he was a diehard helmet wearer) but they have not cleared his spine. I think they are waiting for him to improve before doing an mri. He's somewhat responsive, but still unconcious.
    He was hit by a little old lady who was under the influence of pain pills. She didn't stop until she hit something that stopped her. She was arrested for DUI, but you know what that's worth. No one's going to put a 74 yr old woman in jail, but that's were she belongs.
    Everyone here's pulling for Steve and I'm asking you all to do the same. he's a good guy, and he's one of us to boot.

Steamroller

Flowers from the forum?

It would be cool if the folks here on the forum could chip in and send some flowers or a bunch of bike rags. Maybe there is someone local to him that could collect via pay pal or we could just all hide a couple bucks in an envelope and mail it to someone local to handle. Just a thought, anyone able to help organize it?
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Eric the Red
    Right now they're asking not to send flowers and stuff because there's no where to keep them in ICU. You can probably send get well e-mails to celestialcycles@sbcglobal.net
    that's the local singlespeed shop in OKC, and the whole crew there knows Steve well. I'll keep ya'll updated.

mtbr member

couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

I'm from SW MO, and have had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Steve several times at various races over the years, including TWO DAYS AGO at the 12 Miles of Hell in Lawton, OK. Heck of a guy, and strong singlespeeder too. Always positive, and a joy to ride with. Gotta love that cow bell tied under the saddle, and his rear wheel hops to ring his in unison with ours!

Dr. Steve, I'm glad to know you, and I'm glad you're still with us. Get well soon.

Brian Brennfoerder
    Black and Blue (and brown) 1x1
    -Porkchop

Eric the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by PBnJ
    I'm from SW MO, and have had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Steve several times at various races over the years, including TWO DAYS AGO at the 12 Miles of Hell in Lawton, OK. Heck of a guy, and strong singlespeeder too. Always positive, and a joy to ride with. Gotta love that cow bell tied under the saddle, and his rear wheel hops to ring his in unison with ours!

Dr. Steve, I'm glad to know you, and I'm glad you're still with us. Get well soon.

Brian Brennfoerder
    Black and Blue (and brown) 1x1
    And how bout Clifford the hyperactive trail dog? He damn near jumped into Chris' car window!

mtbr member

another Steve from Oklahoma

Wishes Steve the best. That's just frightening and I hope he pulls through and we get a chance to meet and ride sometime. Keep us posted as you learn more about his prognosis.

ShivaSteve
    (originally from Stillwater)

dirt diva
    I was just reading through old posts and thought I'd update this one.

I am so incredibly sad to report that Steve Edstrom, aka Dr. Steve, aka Spidey.. passed away Monday. I don't know any of the details; but only know that is new wife found him unconscious and they were unable to revive him.

Steve and Michelle had just gotten married on 3/9/2008 the anniversary of his accident. When I was hit by a car a few weeks later he was so sweet and supportive in his understanding of what I was going through. I can not believe he is gone.

The funeral is Monday Dec 1 with a memorial on Sunday. His wife asked that all of his cycling friends wear jerseys to the funeral. How awesome is that?

Also, Clifford, his trail running companion of 8 years passed away in January.

"If you find yourself going through Hell, Keep Going." - Winston Churchill

Paula's Accident Blog

Paula's Biking Site

mtbr member
    oh, that is too sad!
    Prayers form the Ernesto from Wisconsin

mtbr member
    May 2006
    RIP. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who knew him.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    My prayers go out to Dr. Steve's family and friends. It is never easy to read about things like this! Not knowing him but a fellow rider and singlespeeder i will keep him in my thoughts and prayers!

RIP
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

dirt diva
    I created a memorial site for cyclists/mtbrs to share thoughts and photos etc:
    If you're interested in sharing thoughts, memories, photos etc...
    Please visit the site by clicking the link below:

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/d.../Homepage.aspx
    "If you find yourself going through Hell, Keep Going." - Winston Churchill

Paula's Accident Blog

Paula's Biking Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Damn, Thats really messed up