Single speed wheel rebuild.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Single speed wheel rebuild.

I have Paul WORD hubs, and I have some obviously stressed metal by one spoke and am considering a rebuild with Mavic 819s before I'm walking the bike. It just seems to make sense to give myself the option of tubless, and from what I've read Mavic UST rims are the best. Any comments or suggestions on these rims, other rims and favorite single speed (read big and light) tires would be appreciated.

FYI: The Michelin Hot S tires I like are now available in UST even though the Michelin web site doesn't show them.

One gear to rule them all
    I just built up some new SS wheels with King hubs and Mavic 819 rims. They have been great so far. I have not bought any UST tires, yet. A friend of mine is going to give me some Hutchinson UST tires, I can't wait to try those out.
    Several of my friends have said to just use stans and don't bother with UST tires
    If you are going to build them yourself, give yourself some extra time. It takes a while to thread all of those inserts in the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Wm. L.
    I have Paul WORD hubs, and I have some obviously stressed metal by one spoke and am considering a rebuild with Mavic 819s before I'm walking the bike. It just seems to make sense to give myself the option of tubless, and from what I've read Mavic UST rims are the best. Any comments or suggestions on these rims, other rims and favorite single speed (read big and light) tires would be appreciated.

FYI: The Michelin Hot S tires I like are now available in UST even though the Michelin web site doesn't show them.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague