Is Single Speed still "popular" or "chic"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Is Single Speed still "popular" or "chic"?

When I had 3 different single speed 29ers, it seemed to be the cool or "chic" thing to do. Now with all the gravel bikes coming out, it seems less manufacturer's are doing single speeds. Salsa dropped the El Mar completely.

So, in your part of the country, please tell where that is, do you still see a lot of folks riding single speeds?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    http://tricountymtb.org/
    Niner EMD 1x10 ~ Niner SIR9 SS ~ Cannondale Scalpel Si

psycho cyclo addict
    There are plenty of SS riders in the mid-Atlantic US.

Some manufacturers are steering away from offering them because it is a smaller market compared to hard tail and full suspension frames and customers don't upgrade to a "new and improved" version as often (so inventory probably hangs around much longer).

I've ridden out of state trails where I was told: "no way you can ride an SS here" and managed just fine (it is definitely not for everyone). The lightbulb usually goes off on the climbs when I pass people

Ride what works for you- cool or not...
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    When I was racing, I had a geared hard tail and a single speed. I was in really good shape. I was actually faster per lap in my single speed (on my home trails).

Considering a new single speed!

Cycologist
    Who cares, if you want to ride one, ride one; if you don't, don't.

Ok, it seems like the peak was actually many years ago; it doesn't seem like there are as many dedicated singlespeed models as there used to be or as much buzz about them. But some of that is because some of the manufacturers now offer bikes that can be converted from geared to SS. On the trails, I don't know that I've seen fewer overall.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Cycologist
    lol, I knew it wouldn't take long for OneSpeed to be lurking in this thread!

Downcountry AF
    No, there are few other single speeders around me. I only know of a few guys that ride SS. It definitely seems less manufacturers are making decent steel SS frames, especially in a proper XL. I searched for one of three steel frames to replace my broken Kona unit for 1.5 years and couldn't find one. The few decent used bikes I came across the seller was asking stupid money. I finally gave up and had a custom frame built.

There's been a couple threads in the last year or so that have listed all the SS frames that have gone extinct. There's a lot.

I haven't been riding SS as long as many here, but I get the impression it's less trendy than it's been in a long time. At least manufacturers are not offering as many frames as in the past. The terms Popular or Chic are way off base IMO, frankly I don't care how popular SSing is. I want more people to enjoy riding MTB's, and I think many people would enjoy having one gear if they only gave it a try.

If anything, I think the "trendy" thing right now is carbon wonder bikes, long travel FS things with 12 speeds, and anything with a battery. Lame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Who cares, if you want to ride one, ride one; if you don't, don't.
    ^ this

lol, I knew it wouldn't take long for OneSpeed to be lurking in this thread!
    ^ and this
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    No, there are few other single speeders around me. I only know of a few guys that ride SS. It definitely seems less manufacturers are making decent steel SS frames, especially in a proper XL. I searched for one of three steel frames to replace my broken Kona unit for 1.5 years and couldn't find one. The few I came across the seller was asking stupid money. I finally gave up and had a custom frame built.

There's been a couple threads in the last year or so that have listed all the SS frames that have gone extinct. There's a lot.

I haven't been riding SS as long as many here, but I get the impression it's less trendy than it's been in a long time. At least manufacturers are not offering as many frames as in the past. The terms Popular or Chic are way off base IMO, frankly I don't care how popular SSing is. I want more people to enjoy riding MTB's, and I think many people would enjoy having one gear if they only gave it a try.

If anything, I think the "trendy" thing right now is carbon wonder bikes, long travel FS things with 12 speeds, and anything with a battery. Lame.
    "Anything with a battery. Lame." Hahahaha! I couldn't agree more! My grated bike is a Niner EMD 1x9 and it still impresses me as much as it did Day 1. I had 2 SIR 9s and an El Mar. Hate I sold them. Currently looking for another SIR 9 in an older style.

I use the terms popular and chic because what's popular and chic now seem to be FS "wonder bikes" as you state and gravel bikes. Everyone makes a gravel bike or 3 or 4. My EMD does gravel just fine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    ...it seems less manufacturer's are doing single speeds....
    The manufacturers are up against the problem that a singlespeed bike lasts a long time and they tend not to get chucked into the charity bin but refurbished. If I was a manufacturer, I'd be following every new fashion that came out "modern trail geometry', boost, 1x drivetrains, 27.5", and very definitely rear suspension. It's lovely the way yesterday's dream bike is today's unsaleable crock with its worn out pivots and wrong wheel size.

Meanwhile the single speeders haven't noticed because they know it's not about the bike, it's about the engine.

I'm speaking as someone who has ridden singlespeed when it was normal, then old-fashioned, then stupid, and then was surprised to find myself doing something niche and cool while still riding the same bike and being much too old to be either niche or cool (as I was authoritatively informed by my then teenage daughter about 15 years ago).
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

DFMBA.org
    In certain areas it still has a 'cool' factor because of the level of fitness that's required to do it. I went back to SSing about 5 months ago and have only ridden my f/s Niner a few times. I love the simplicity of riding my singlespeed, the silence on the trail and the fact that it's cheaper to repair or replace parts. No matter what, SSing will always wear the 'not for most' moniker and that makes it somewhat special. I also like the look I get from roadies when riding to get to my trails.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    In certain areas it still has a 'cool' factor because of the level of fitness that's required to do it. I went back to SSing about 5 months ago and have only ridden my f/s Niner a few times. I love the simplicity of riding my singlespeed, the silence on the trail and the fact that it's cheaper to repair or replace parts. No matter what, SSing will always wear the 'not for most' moniker and that makes it somewhat special. I also like the look I get from roadies when riding to get to my trails.
    Simplicity and Silence of the trail is exactly what I fell in love with on a single speed!

EXORCIZE
    what's popular and chic now seem to be FS "wonder bikes" as you state and gravel bikes.
    I'm guilt of these trends. Been mainly riding my carbon gravel and FS bikes the last 1-2 years. They're just so dang fast! But I'm *almost* done spec'ing out a new rigid SS ('15 El Mar).

In my sixth different decade of simple speeding, if it's a trend it's a long lasting one.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

Moderator Moderator
    I can't give any reasons why people do or don't ride them, but I don't see many around here and never had. One a month? Every few months? Same with fixies and fat bikes. There's a ton of riders here and most are on some flavor of FS, with racer types or more casual riders on HT's.

Ride whatever gives you a grin, I don't judge.

mtbr member
    When I had 3 different single speed 29ers, it seemed to be the cool or "chic" thing to do. Now with all the gravel bikes coming out, it seems less manufacturer's are doing single speeds. Salsa dropped the El Mar completely.

So, in your part of the country, please tell where that is, do you still see a lot of folks riding single speeds?

Thanks

They got rid of it due to most their bikes can be made SS by just replacing the Alternator plates on the back. All their bikes have them

SS is a very strong class here in AZ.
    I am faster on my SS over my geared bikes. I also enjoy it more. You just pedal and ride. no thinking of damn was in the wrong gear for that climb and I'm gonna spin up this hill at a billion cadence,

as said. IF you wanna ride a SS, ride one. Who care what others are riding.

If you do a lot of group rides and you are the only SS. Yeah, you may get left for a little on the flats. You will catch back up on the climbs and sometimes on the DH sections.

Some brands don't make a SS only bike due to some of their bikes can be converted very easy. I have a Vassago. It can be ran geared with new rear sliders. My Vassago's are my SS only bikes.
    Too Many .

Having a nice day!
    I'm dipping my toes back into the SS fold for a while. Used to ride SS a lot, but noticed my knees were starting to bother me. Lost about 40 lbs a while back and decided to go ahead and try it again on my Pivot Les. Really liking it on the local trails that are really just perfect for SSing. I'll still opt for gears on the long mountain rides...for now. To me, it is kind of nice to have a bike that has a lot of configuration versatility to make the local trails I ride all the time just a bit different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    To me, it is kind of nice to have a bike that has a lot of configuration versatility to make the local trails I ride all the time just a bit different.
    good call. I don't think I'll ever have a dedicated SS bike. few companies make them for that reason. I have a rear derailleur, shifter, cable, cassette, and longer chain I can slap on my bike for certain regional trails where I know I won't have any fun on the SS setup.

Cycologist
    ^^ Yeah, LoneStar, I was surprised how well we all stayed together yesterday with you on the SS and the rest of us with gears; I figured we would have more yo-yo'ing. Nice riding.

Single and loving it
    Been riding SS for about 8 years now with no intention of going to gears regardless of trends.
    The least of things with a meaning is worth more in life than the greatest of things without it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    10 years ago I rode a rigid 26er SS. Been away from the sport for quite awhile but this year decided to begin again. I bought a 150mm fully and had to learn a very different way of riding.
    It's been fun but I find myself missing the simplicity and ease (component wise) of the SS.

I don't care if it's still, or ever was, popular really. To me, it was just more fun. I don't know if I would still prefer a rigid bike now though!

Having a nice day!
    ^^ Yeah, LoneStar, I was surprised how well we all stayed together yesterday with you on the SS and the rest of us with gears; I figured we would have more yo-yo'ing. Nice riding.
    That was fun! Probably helped that you ride your Evil like a singlespeed. I mean who stands up and mashes on a bike with that much suspension?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's all about the engine.

Most mountain bikers are fat guys and can't climb our handle the bike well. They drop a lot of money on expensive carbon FS bikes, then spend most (all) of their time in the granny gear. Most FS bikes are just way overkill for most riding (unless you're a world cup rider).

I love showing up for a group meet up ride on my SS. Most people look at my bike confused. One guy asked me if my bike was a road bike or fixed gear gravel bike. I was thinking damn these people don't know anything.

The group ride was in the mountains (about 6,000 ft elevation) and we started our ride with a gradual climb (sort of mellow pace) and 1/3 the way up 90% of the riders threw in the towel. It's pathetic.

mtbr member
    I know I like my mine by the fact that it's the most ridden day in and out as my commuter. I honestly haven't been riding much on the trails this summer but they're there in some numbers. Most are SS capable frames, couple fatties even, and not dedicated SS frames. There are more in the city as commuter conversions of road bikes that have semi horizontal drops. I chuckle a bit at the old Schwinn's that have no RD, a shortened chain and the old freewheel cassette. So, are they popular? With some in the crowd certainly, but multi-speeds still vastly out number SS both on the trail and the road. It's a niche, I don't think that casual trail bikers would choose an SS for their bike but those who do own an SS probably have other bikes as well. Although, in the city a SS may well be enough.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

SS Pusher Man
    I've dabbled in SS since the early 2000's.....often had one in the garage but rode it sparingly and only at specific places. 2008 that changed and I started riding one on a more regular basis. Eventually gave it up in 2009 when I started having knee issues.

After an ankle injury in 2010 I went SS again. In 2011 I pretty much went SS most of the time. By 2013 it was all I was riding.

I would ride the FS(4" XC) on rides that were really technical or rocky or more DH oriented. However, the last 3 years I have gone to SS 99.9% of the time. That .1% includes my FS bike and the mtn tandem.

Same thing as above....I love keeping up with the FS rigs on the techy DH's, then passing them when they get gassed.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    That was fun! Probably helped that you ride your Evil like a singlespeed. I mean who stands up and mashes on a bike with that much suspension?
    lol, you're confusing me with flipnidaho, I was on the 100mm Superlight. But I do stand up at times, I'm more of a masher than a spinner and a couple of times I just got caught in the wrong gear or needed to stand up to stretch.

mtbr member
    It's pretty darn popular here in NM as well. In my riding circle, everyone owns a singlespeed. Literally.

mtbr member
    When I had 3 different single speed 29ers, it seemed to be the cool or "chic" thing to do....
    Number 1) - I don't care about how cool it is or not to ride SS. I have geared bikes and SS bikes and I like riding SS some days. To me it nice change up from other bikes and changes the trail experience. I also think it helps my overall skills/fitness to ride SS.

Number 2) - I do have group of friends that also ride SS. Some times I ride with them SS some time solo.

That said I did an enduro this weekend and saw zero SS of 90+ riders. 2 HT riders... Yeah why bring butter knife to a gun fight? I was on my 5" FS bike.

Personally I don't understand gravel riding. I know what it is, but not why it seems so popular. I do road bike from time to time and it is nice to have smooth fast riding.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I use the terms popular and chic because what's popular and chic now seem to be FS "wonder bikes" as you state and gravel bikes. Everyone makes a gravel bike or 3 or 4. My EMD does gravel just fine!
    Don't confuse markting directions with popularity. Bike Mfg always want to sell more bikes. FS wonder bikes are good sales for two reasons 1) everyone want to ride bike that is more capable than they are because they think it will make them faster. 2) these bike can always try to sell the latest and greatest that you just HAVE TO BUY. So more sales. Gravel bikes are even more a rip. Take that road bike frame we have make couple geom tweaks and room for 38c tires and tell everyone they can use their road bike or their mountain bike and MUST buy a new "Gravel Bike"... So they can ride all these dirt roads that they told us last year(s) were boring as hell cause it was not "Enduro". And they have been saying HT mtn bike are for wimps or cheapsaktes who can afford the latest FS 300mm travel rig that climbs like a goat and descends like DH bike.

Yeah...

SS are pretty simple and basic. No fancy 1x10, 1x11, 1x11 or DI2 going on. Most don't need dropper posts so there money not spend. Alot of SS use a rigid fork. In then end SS bikes don't have much extra stuff to drive profit. Plus don't have parts to break and need "upgrade". Frame geometry is not moving fast either since what we have works.

About the biggest thing to hit SS has been plus tires. Lots of riders trying 29+ on SS in my area. I am not sold yet, but my frame fits 29 or 29+ so I am set.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Ive been pretty much all singlespeed since 2000. Right mtnbikeJ? I think all the new 1x drivetrains put a little hurt on the single speed world. Also the few companies still making bikes that can be set up single speed are marketing them as 1x. Ive played with gears here and there even recently for like 2 weeks ! Drove me crazy. I ride better and have more fun on a single gear. Still after 17 years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm new to the SS Forum but here are my thoughts. Popular/Chic, doesn't matter to me.
    I ride in AZ, desert (Tucson) in the winter, mountains (Show Low Pinetop) in the summer. There are quite a few SS riders out here, especially at races. I mostly ride fat bikes an clearly more SS than fat out here. I think getting dropped by a fat bike gets the same kind of looks as being dropped by a SS.
    I had a Niner One9 SS (Scandium) that was 22 lbs with 100mm Reba. That bike totally changed the way I ride. Keep off the brakes, stand on the hills, peddle like hell and coast when you can. I sold my SS (hardtail) when I got my L3-4 fused 2 years ago and have missed it ever since. Have been riding mostly a Salsa Bucksaw (1x11)(full suspension fat bike) since (only seen one other on the trail in almost 2 years) (Popular-No, Chic-not sure).
    Super excited to have a new-old-stock SPOT HoneyBadger, belt-drive SS being delivered today (FedEx just pulled up). Can't wait to get it on the trail. Should be simple, quiet, low maintenance.
    Not much to think about on a SS. Just peddle and try to keep the rubber side down.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Ive been pretty much all singlespeed since 2000. Right mtnbikeJ? I think all the new 1x drivetrains put a little hurt on the single speed world. Also the few companies still making bikes that can be set up single speed are marketing them as 1x. Ive played with gears here and there even recently for like 2 weeks ! Drove me crazy. I ride better and have more fun on a single gear. Still after 17 years.
    As long as I can remember.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    'Been 90% SS for a number of years now, I have not put in one geared mtb mile this year.

Chic? My buddies newly built retro-chic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Single Speed still "popular" or "chic"?-eds-klein.jpg  

mtbr member
    Based upon what I see on the trail and roads, objectively I would posit that SS has not been and is not currently chic or popular, except for one contradiction: myself and some of the people I ride with, whether or not they ride one, SS is widely considered as a pure form of cycling, intrinsically chic and popular as a concept, paradigm, or aesthetic, and therefore chic and popular despite an apparently contemporary decline its practioners and purveyors; chic in the academic sense, and popular as a meme representing simplicity, strength, longevity, fidelity, history, economy, and a resistance against obsolescence.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by evoracer View Post
    'Been 90% SS for a number of years now, I have not put in one geared mtb mile this year.

Chic? My buddies newly built retro-chic...
    That looks like it's strait out of a Tim Burton movie.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I'm in northeast Texas and also spend a lot of time around western Arkansas. A vast majority of bikes are geared, but there are a few singlespeeds. For my local trails the percentage is fairly high, but everyone who owns a singlespeed also has geared bike.

I got my wife in to riding rigid singlespeeds as well. She loves the climbing efficiency, and I love not having to maintain her full suspension race bike

We also do singlespeed group rides every now and then. Group rides are generally more fun if everyone is on a rigid singlespeed.

Is Single Speed still "popular" or "chic"?-img_20170509_182835535%7E2.jpg

Robtre
    Every couple years I go back to gears, just to see how my body responds (knees, fitness).
    I am much slower on a geared bike, mostly because of talent, I really suck at shifting and I am always in the wrong gear. The workout on a geared bike is different for me, sitting and spinning. Having way less leverage sitting, and being a single speeder for so long, my legs were weak pedaling in that position, therefore I was spinning a much lower gear, going much slower, and way more exhausted. I think standing and mashing really keeps you in a more attack position, using more body english. The only area I miss having gears is getting up to speed on a long downhill. I ride 32x20 in the mountains of NC, and I spin out pretty quickly. The downhills are slower, but more controlled allowing me to ride more playfully. I will always have a SS bike, I dont care if its popular or not, its way more fun for me.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Hell Track
    I surprised myself by buying a ss recently. I was searching for a steel hardtail and ended up with a rigid ss. I like to challenge/torture myself and i was very intrigued by the idea of of it. Definitely nothing to do with being cool. I love bikes in any form. 1st ride and I thought "what was I thinking "? 3rd ride and I got hooked. Combo of ss and rigid is just really fun and challenging. My other bikes are fun too. All bikes are fun

Robtre
    Riding rigid massively jumped my skills level. Although I run a fork now, rigid is a blast. It really taught me to weight and un-weight the bike, and maximize flow.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    I picked up an NOS Honey badger frame back in April. Best SS frame ive ever had or ridden! Ive had a lot of ss frames and bikes and this Spot feels as close to a custom frame as I could ask for . Stiff front triangle and compliant rear. The Badger loves to be ridden hard! Ive set mine up with a carbon 490mm fork with a 3.0 tire and also a 120mm Yari and a 2.4 tire. Both just rock. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just contacted the guy I sold my last SIR9 to and he said he would sell it back to me. Oh happy day! He said he only rode it once! I'm pumped!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Every couple years I go back to gears, just to see how my body responds (knees, fitness).
    I am much slower on a geared bike, mostly because of talent, I really suck at shifting and I am always in the wrong gear. The workout on a geared bike is different for me, sitting and spinning. Having way less leverage sitting, and being a single speeder for so long, my legs were weak pedaling in that position, therefore I was spinning a much lower gear, going much slower, and way more exhausted. I think standing and mashing really keeps you in a more attack position, using more body english. The only area I miss having gears is getting up to speed on a long downhill. I ride 32x20 in the mountains of NC, and I spin out pretty quickly. The downhills are slower, but more controlled allowing me to ride more playfully. I will always have a SS bike, I dont care if its popular or not, its way more fun for me.
    I ran a 32x20 all the time. It fits my natural cadence real well. And it's easier on my knees. Tried an 18 once and hurt for a week and a half! Love 32x20

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    Here in New England, singlespeeds are a total rarity. People look at my bike and cannot understand how riding our rocky and rooty terrain is even possible on a SS. For very large event rides organized by the local mountain bike advocacy chapter, I usually spot one or two SS in a sea of 100s of bikes.

Personally, I find SS easier to ride than my FS trail bike. There is less shifting, no dropper post, and it is the only bike I ride clipless, so I can "cheat with my feet", which isn't possible with my trail or DH rigs.

The three issues I have with SS are that I can't get any of my friends to ride them, riding the SS too much makes me extra awkward on the DH bike, and I'm traveling too much to really have the fitness level to flow through rock gardens and such.

But overall, I love the feeling of riding the SS. It is almost as good as going down really sketchy stuff on the DH rig. Not quite, but close.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by newenglandrocks View Post

Personally, I find SS easier to ride than my FS trail bike. There is less shifting
    Now THAT is an understatement

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Like many of you I personally don't care what is trendy Its just the style of riding I enjoy. In the SF Bay Area I can't say I notice a difference any more or less in regards to popularity for the last decade. SS's are few and far between, I probably see one once a month or less. As far as "chic" I don't think a sweet SS build will ever go out of style. I get looky loos and get complimented on my bike every time I ride. One trend I have noticed lately though is roadies on legit slick tired road bikes riding on fairly technical single track...I guess folks are just bored.

WNC Native
    Here in western NC, there are still quite a few people on SS.
    I have a few buddies that have SS and geared bikes, most of those alternate back and forth. I've been SS only for 8 years or so now.

As said above, I could care less if it's popular. It's all about the simplicity and silent drivetrain for me. I've been toying with the idea of adding a FS to the quiver soon, that may very well be SS also.

That said, the majority of riders here are on their 4-6" Wonder bikes. It is kinda funny when you pass some of them on the DHs on a SS.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Im thinking a year down the road. Cheap TI custom steel or Lenz MilkMoney?

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    Get a bike that can run Gates Carbon Drive. Itís the nicest SS drivetrain by far.

mtbr member
    I have a Spot Honey badger right now. Its gates compatible but belt drive is not my thing. I have friends with it but im not sold.

Snow Dog
    I ride in Central Ohio ,and have never seen a SS MTB around here. I started in single speed..on BMX...and still ride BMX, so for me, it was always a thing. It never came or went. On MTB's however, I almost always see gears. Only recently, I have thought about changing my old 26er to a SS, but it has really just been a thought.

SS to me was never a "heroism" think like to some...like a proof of manhood or something. It would be a cool challenge, but it doesn't make the rider for me.
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Downcountry AF
    I went with option B. Excellent ride quality, fits like a glove, You get to design it with your ideal geo, etc. Most important part is finding the right builder. I didn't manage to get that part right, but live and learn, won't make that mistake next time.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    On the more popular riding trails I'll see maybe 1-2 SS out of 20-25 riders give or take though sometimes none. Same as always even before I went SS, riding mtb since about 85, SS only about 5 years. I'd say more like a fringe element, always there. Neither popular nor in style, just is, for those that "get it".

Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Just ripped through some old photo albums, looks like I've been riding SS mountain bikes since around 2006, dang.