Single Speed Specific Rims?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Single Speed Specific Rims?

It all started by converting my old hardtail via Surly tensioner and I'm ready to trade tensioner noises for EBB creak. Niner One9 frame is on its way! Almost everything should port right over from the old bike, but want to take the opportunity to put myself on a bonafide, quality, SS. Off of my old bike I am taking off WTB i23 rims with Deore XT hubs. It has me wondering if Single speed hubs are different. I would think the spokes can be a little wider on a single speed rear wheel and my intuition tells me that would be better (no clue why).

Anyway, does a Single speed specific rear hub exist? If so it worth swapping out from what I have?

mtbr member
    I have a One 9 also. Unless you are a hardcore kool-aid drinker, just run a regular hub. You can gear your One 9 down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My bikes are faster than me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2185 View Post
    I have a One 9 also. Unless you are a hardcore kool-aid drinker, just run a regular hub. You can gear your One 9 down the road.

Great, thanks

Always in the wrong gear
    A SS-specific hub does indeed have a wider bracing angle for the spokes and thus is stronger, but the real question is:
    "Is a cassette hub strong enough?"
    If it is, then an SS hub only emininates the ability to ever have gears without a new wheel.

I've been riding SS-only on a cassette Hadley hub for several years, and have test ridden SS-specific wheels before and didn't get the benefit. Maybe I just don't weigh enough or put down enough power, but I ride with some seriously fast guys and many are on "cassette hubs" and don't seem to mind.

The only SS-specific Kool-Aid I drink is PoE. I can absolutely ride technical stuff better with a high PoE (Hadley is 72) vs like a DT Swiss or Hope (24poe).

Others swear it doesn't matter.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

I am Walt
    I ran Hope Pro 2 SS-specific for years, and how have wheelsets with both a Hope Pro 4 cassette hub and an Industry 9 SS-specific hub. Modern cassette hubs are plenty strong enough for the strongest SS'er.

That said, a SS-specific hub removes the temptation to ever run a cassette, so there's that...

Plus, you can tell everyone you run an SS-specific hub, while you are telling them what gear ratio you run and what micro-craft IPA you prefer.
    Ride more; post less...

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

That said, a SS-specific hub removes the temptation to ever run a cassette, so there's that...

Plus, you can tell everyone you run an SS-specific hub, while you are telling them what gear ratio you run and what micro-craft IPA you prefer.

No temptation when you don't own a derailleur or a shifter.

Also, craft IPA is so passť. I prefer my Vassago-headbaged flask full of Colorado snowmelt single-malt bourbon. Ratios are ride specific, but I'm sure I mash harder than you. (I kid)

The real question is "what tires?"
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post

The fastest I can get away with. Thunder Burt right now.

My bikes are faster than me.

mtbr member
    Please use the search function! This topic comes up all the time and has been argued over way too many times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfpilot View Post
    It all started by converting my old hardtail via Surly tensioner and I'm ready to trade tensioner noises for EBB creak. Niner One9 frame is on its way! Almost everything should port right over from the old bike, but want to take the opportunity to put myself on a bonafide, quality, SS. Off of my old bike I am taking off WTB i23 rims with Deore XT hubs. It has me wondering if Single speed hubs are different. I would think the spokes can be a little wider on a single speed rear wheel and my intuition tells me that would be better (no clue why).

Anyway, does a Single speed specific rear hub exist? If so it worth swapping out from what I have?
    Shouldn't hear any EBB creak if it's an EBB2 and assembled well,
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    SS specific tires?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    SS specific tires?
    Kind of the reaction I had when I saw the thread titled "Single Speed Specific Rims".

I tuned in on a WTF basis only to find a sensible question about hubs, not a stupid question about rims.

I hate it when I'm deprived of the opportunity to pile crap on someone for over thinking things, so I'll just moan about the thread title instead.

Grumps

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2185 View Post
    Totally disagree. A SS specific hub is the right tool for the job. His goal is to have a SS bike, not "upgrade" it to gears down the road. Get a dedicated SS hub!

Equal flange spacing means no dish, even spoke tension, better triangulation, stronger wheel. Not to mention SS hubs are often high engagement, strong hubs.

I'm not drinking any cool-aid, I do drink craft double IPAs though. I want a strong, high POE, Bolt-on or TA rear hub that builds the strongest possible wheel. A SS specific hub fits the bill. If I want a geared wheel, I'll build a geared wheel because that's the right tool for that job.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yes, I miss worded the title... I was a little sad inside when it weighed in only two pounds lighter than my Stumpjumper without a water bottle... But everything swapped over to the new frame without much hassle and the EBB2 is creak free. Can't wait to put some miles on this thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I run Hadley SS specific Hubs and like them. I know the math but it's also extra nice that Hadley's have a Ti free hub. 72POE still has a bit of delay but it's great. The P321 have more POE but an aluminum free hub. Same with I9. If I where to buy another SS hub I'd get ONYX. They seem bullet proof.
    As for tires, I'm not racing and So Cal is loose. I have wider rims for a reason, I like FAT tires. I have the ONZA Icon 2.4 tires on now. Very wide and beefy and never slip when I need to power up loose sections but kinda heavy. I usually use the Schwallbe Nob Nic 29x2.35 Pacestar it's lighter.I also have the new Addix 29x2.6" wider and lighter than the ONZA.
    BTW my first SS was built light with narrow rims and light tires. It was easy to climb with but not a lot of fun on single track. Once I went wider, I never looked back #widerisbetter
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I still run a SS thread-on-FW hub. And of course a White Industries 18T Trials FW (72 POE). I'm just happier not running a cassette style FW.