Single Speed Specific Frames for Racing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Single Speed Specific Frames for Racing

I currently ride and race an On One Lurcher with matching rigid fork. It works well for me but to my knowledge that frame is no longer available. I have been searching for a new single speed specific frame for racing and it seems the options are getting to be very limited compared to say 5 years ago.

I would like to know what our options are for production SS race frames, say carbon or perhaps Ti but most importantly both light weight and robust.

Here are the very limited options that I am aware of:

Niner Air/One 9 RDO - I kinda gave up on Niner after never being able to permanently solve my BB creaking issues. I suppose I would consider it again if there is a well-known permanent and manufacturer backed (ie they will take it back on warranty if it creaks) fix.

Ibis Tranny - Interesting, but the extra pivots in the frame sketch me out, especially as far as creaking is concerned. Maybe if they really add a lot of functionality then they are worth it?

Pivot LES - VERY interesting. The Swinger system looks like a great design. Interested in hearing opinions on this one.

Dean Colonel - Not really sure about these but just always kinda had a boner for them.

Please let me know what other frames you would consider as candidates for this list as well as opinions on those above.

EDIT: One more requirement - frame has to be for 29" wheels. No 27.5 in this list please.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Giant's new XTC. You can buy the thing in both 27.5+ or 29er but the frames are both the same. It has sliding dropouts, boost rear end. Its a much stiffer frame than my last 2014 Stumpjumper Carbon SS frame.

Another frame to look at is the Trek's Stache which comes in both Aluminum or Carbon.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Niner Air/One 9 RDO - I kinda gave up on Niner after never being able to permanently solve my BB creaking issues. I suppose I would consider it again if there is a well-known permanent and manufacturer backed (ie they will take it back on warranty if it creaks) fix.
    Do you know if you had the Biocentric 2? Riders have been much happier with the newer version. I only owned one for a short time, but was happy with it.

mtbr member
    Vassago Optimus TI

OptimusTi 29er Frame

Raced here in Arizona.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great advice guys - thanks for all your suggestions. I will be taking a look at all of them in the coming weeks. Giant XTC is particularly compelling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Do you know if you had the Biocentric 2? Riders have been much happier with the newer version. I only owned one for a short time, but was happy with it.
    Started with 1 then went to 2. 1 was actually better for me using the teflon tape trick which was lame but worked to stop the creaking. 2 was a mess and I never could get it to stop creaking. Plus I have a friend now who is battling the 2 creak as well. Love the frame except for the damn creaking.

mtbr member
    Hettly Custom Orion Ti. Made to your specs. Price is A$, so if you are US based, much cheaper. Hettly Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I went from a custom Ti frame (that is now for sale in the classifieds) which I loved and spent a few years on doing endurance races to an Ibis Tranny 29. I changed all the parts over to the Ibis except the cranks which I used a Race Face Next SL crank on the Ibis. It was noticeable right away how quick the Ibis accelerated, or responded to inputs. Not that the Ti frame was bad, it was great, just the lateral stiffness of the carbon was easily quantified. I get a little more beat up on the Ibis, but it is still pretty vertical compliant it is just hard to beat the ride of a Ti frame for distances over 60 miles!

The Ibis has seen many trouble free miles and races without a noise or issue, well except the nondrive side crank arm splitting down the middle. I would get a Tranny or the Les. They were the two I had to choose from and I only went with the Ibis b/c that is what my local shop carried.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The biocentric 2 is really easy to make work as long as you follow the niner procedure (which has changed a few times over the years).

1. Clean all the grease / carbo grip / pipe compound / teflon tape / bird poo / beer from all the parts. Frame, BB shell, biocentric, bolts, your fingers

2. Grease the bolt heads, bolt threads, and the ends of the posts where the two sides of the ebb mate.

3. Install the bolts and use a torque wrench. Tighten one a bit, then the other a bit, then the first one a bit. Until you get to the torque. I've seen quite a few in my shop that were installed by a body builder and the bolts were stretched. So they could not ever work. You can get high grade replacement bolts at any ace hardware

Those are the niner recommended directions and it has solved all creaking issues for my 12 or so customers and my bike that all have the biocentric 2 or the pf30 ebb.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    I would personally go with the Ibis. I think the tensioning setup is great, and you can pull the rear end off to fit it in an airline size suitcase.

Oh, and it won the Tour Divide!

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Last season i raced the Lurcher, an Air 9 Carbon, One 9 RDO. In that order.

Sold the lurcher and air 9 to my friends. Still have the One 9 RDO.

Ive never had a single noise from any bio2. If you do what the guy above posted its not going to make noises.

They stopped making the One9 RDO and the Air9 RDO doesnt have the metal insert in the BB but it says ebb compatible. I wouldnt risk it.

Im in the same spot as you. SS race bike. Its looking like the Giant is the best bet if you like a steeper angle vs the pivot les. Both pf92 and sliders and thats about the best combo you can get.

A SC Highball with a trickstuff tensioner will probably be my choice. The frame is over 1.5lbs lighter than the Giant or Pivot. Also i like those angles and 27.2 post.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I talked to my niner rep about the new frames without the metal insert and he said that the new frames without the metal shell are actually stronger than the frames with the metal shell and they are fine with the ebb. He even has the new version prototype setup as a SS.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I talked to my niner rep about the new frames without the metal insert and he said that the new frames without the metal shell are actually stronger than the frames with the metal shell and they are fine with the ebb. He even has the new version prototype setup as a SS.
    Thats good to know because the One9 RDO is the fastest bike known to man and i would love to get another Niner. My One9 is an XL i need a Large to really shred at the highest level. You know how they say size up for stability well Michigan favors sizing up but going racing in the east/southeast i need standover and snappier handling.

Have you installed any of the pf30 ebb into rdo frames at your shop? So far so good?

Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I haven't installed one personally yet but I hope to soon.

Nov 2015
    One thing im considering is just getting a couple ebay chiner and using the bb30 ebb you can buy. Buy like 3 frames for the price of one. Each one slightly different geo and see what i like best. The Lurcher is pretty close to chinese ebay carbon. Its not light and stiff as a board. Some of the nicer chiner frames probably ride better. The Trek superfly ss isnt carbon or ti but is light and racy. They stopped making the big unit. There really isnt many options. Ive spent a bunch of time trying to figure out the same thing. I currently have the One9 rdo so im not doing half bad i just need a better fit size wise. Since the fastest way up the hill is usually the lightest i just started focusing on a sub 1500 gm frame and ill convert it.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I would personally go with the Ibis. I think the tensioning setup is great, and you can pull the rear end off to fit it in an airline size suitcase.

Oh, and it won the Tour Divide!
    The tranny is belt drive also in its favor.

The pivot les won this years tour divide and i think the guy in 2nd on ss was on a lurcher!