Single speed road bike from frame I have- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Single speed road bike from frame I have

Thinking of doing this. Bought this bikes direct frame used on eBay a year ago for $50 not realizing how expensive road bike groupsets were. Should have just bought a road bike from bikes direct.

Canít get anyone to buy it and canít justify building the actual road bike out of it with a full group set. So enter the single speed idea

Because of the dropouts Iíd need a chain tensioner but is there anything else that would prevent me from some sort of success on this? Planning on a cheapie build. Just something to ride on the road for fitness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If you can justify it, take a look at the White Industries ENO rear hub. I have one on my road bike and it has worked flawlessly.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    If you can justify it, take a look at the White Industries ENO rear hub. I have one on my road bike and it has worked flawlessly.
    I like it but probably not realistic as I wonít be building my own wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vartz04 View Post
    I like it but probably not realistic as I wonít be building my own wheels

Challenge: this will be your first wheel build.

Otherwise, a tensioner, SS cog and spacers on a regular wheel, and all the regular parts should work fine. Do you have a bike co-op nearby to get cheap parts?

Cycologist
    If you really want gears but want to save some dollars, bar end shifters are a good bit cheaper than brifters. Not that there is anything wrong with an ss road bike, I have one. Add up the costs for everything else you'll need and decide if it's worth it. I'd probably just look for a complete bike unless you already have a lot of the parts.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    I think you can find some deals if you are willing to compromise. What had you intended to spend on parts?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Lots of options out there, especially if there was a fixie scene near you. Many sicc fixie kidds are looking to offload usable parts searching for the next great trend. If you have access to a few different cogs, you could search for the magic combo that doesn't need a tensioner.

Best of luck with your build

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ^^ It's worth checking for a magic gear. Calculator to help: http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

If you can keep your eyes on craigslist etc. for used parts or a used bike you can re-purpose parts from you can put something together 'cheap'.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I had some parts (seat post saddle stem bars) and I ordered some other stuff today. I bought some cheap flip flop wheels from bike wheel warehouse. Iíll see if I like it. If I do Iíll find a good frame with horizontal rear drop outs and swap stuff over and be able to ride fixed

Everything I need for the build should be here by the end of next week or so. Iíll be in it under $350 or so I think not including the frame.

Worst case I learn how to build up a bike and I sell it for a $100-150 or so loss

mtbr member
    Learning to wrench is priceless. Good luck with your build.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vartz04 View Post
    I had some parts (seat post saddle stem bars) and I ordered some other stuff today. I bought some cheap flip flop wheels from bike wheel warehouse. Iíll see if I like it. If I do Iíll find a good frame with horizontal rear drop outs and swap stuff over and be able to ride fixed

Everything I need for the build should be here by the end of next week or so. Iíll be in it under $350 or so I think not including the frame.

Worst case I learn how to build up a bike and I sell it for a $100-150 or so loss

I hope the flip flop wheels you purchased matched the spacing of the frame. That should be a 130mm spaced frame and "most" of the flip flop wheels (at least the hipster el' cheapo ones around front range colorado) are 120mm spacing.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    I hope the flip flop wheels you purchased matched the spacing of the frame. That should be a 130mm spaced frame and "most" of the flip flop wheels (at least the hipster el' cheapo ones around front range colorado) are 120mm spacing.
    You beat me too it. I haven't seen any 130mm flip flop hubs, even the good ones are 120 because track frames are 120mm spaced.

You can always pick up a cheap pair of used Shimano wheels. I picked up a slightly used pair of Shimano RS10's for my SS road build (Raleigh Militis 3 frame with a Wheels Manufacturing eccentric bottom bracket) for $80
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Crap good call. I had been staring at wheels so long I read it wrong and thought I finally found one. Hopefully I can get the order canceled

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have the fixed gear version of that (70 BUCKS WITH FORK IF I REMEMBER); it is STIFF and likes to go fast at the sacrifice of comfort. fun for hauling ass around town; not what you want for a century ride.

my tip (if you like that frame):

look for an older well cared for roadie for 500 or less. strip those components and put em on your frame. i run old ultegra 9 speed stuff on my road bike and it works wonderfully. old, well cared for, road bikes can be found real cheap if you know where to look (swapmeets craigslist etc)... buying a nice new goupset for that frame just ain't worth it.

if your not married to that frame and want to make life even simpler just buy a complete roadie that is a few years old. for 4-500 you can get something really decent if you look around a little. OR buy an aging hipsters fixed gear... those can also be had cheap in any metro area these days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    i have the fixed gear version of that (70 BUCKS WITH FORK IF I REMEMBER); it is STIFF and likes to go fast at the sacrifice of comfort. fun for hauling ass around town; not what you want for a century ride.

my tip (if you like that frame):

look for an older well cared for roadie for 500 or less. strip those components and put em on your frame. i run old ultegra 9 speed stuff on my road bike and it works wonderfully. old, well cared for, road bikes can be found real cheap if you know where to look (swapmeets craigslist etc)... buying a nice new goupset for that frame just ain't worth it.

if your not married to that frame and want to make life even simpler just buy a complete roadie that is a few years old. for 4-500 you can get something really decent if you look around a little. OR buy an aging hipsters fixed gear... those can also be had cheap in any metro area these days.
    Thanks. I am willing to over pay a little right now to build it single speed just to learn more about building and working on a bike. I would likely keep it around as a toy if I like it and buy a gravel bike to keep as my main road ride going forward. The idea of buying a used bike and swapping stuff over is a good one though.

So you had this same frame from bikes direct?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    eh mine was not that frame; but a similar looking ALU track frame probably spit out by similar chinese robots.

since you like that frame, and want a singlespeed; build yourself a wheel with an eno hub like oldhouseman suggested. will probably cost more than your frame but you'll learn alot and have a nice wheel which will probably outlast the bike. that said i wouldn't waste too much money on a bike without disc brakes these days. calipers do work fine on road bikes BUT your gonna want a bike with discs eventually. unless you used this fixed in which case you won't need a rear brake at all.