SIngle Speed Rear Hub or Single Speed Conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

SIngle Speed Rear Hub or Single Speed Conversion

I am making my geared biked into a single speed bike and have run into a challenge. I am trying to decide if I should by a new hub and wheel or buy the single speed conversion with a cog. I see a lot of single speeders with chain problems out on the train and wonder if that is just the way all singles speeds are or is it the setup. What are the advantages to having a single speed rear hub to just using a conversion kit? Are they both reliable? Do I need to buy a wider cog for the rear to support the chain? I have a steel cassette body on my current rear hub so I dont need to worry that much about denting or ruining the cassette body. Is there a cog that I should get if I use the spacer kit? Do I need a thicker chain than my 8 speed chain. My bike will have v-brakes so there is no need for a disc rear hub. Thanks for your help!

Known Mountainbiker
    Wow, that's a lot of questions.........check the FAQ in the upper right hand corner of the SS forum, most answers are up there. Welcome aboard.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmil1
    I am making my geared biked into a single speed bike and have run into a challenge. I am trying to decide if I should by a new hub and wheel or buy the single speed conversion with a cog. I see a lot of single speeders with chain problems out on the train and wonder if that is just the way all singles speeds are or is it the setup. What are the advantages to having a single speed rear hub to just using a conversion kit? Are they both reliable?
    The difference between a SS hub and your geared hub is the amount of space available for the cog(s)/freewheel. Of course there is some dish involved in the building BUT for the purposes of converting a geared frame - NEITHER will help you here unless you have horizontal dropouts.

If you have vertical dropouts BOTH wheels would require some form of chain tensioning device (picture HERE). If you are going to buy a wheel to avoid chain issues try the White Industries Eccentric Wheel (picture HERE). In that case I suggest going with a converted wheel while you 'try it out'.
    Do I need to buy a wider cog for the rear to support the chain? I have a steel cassette body on my current rear hub so I dont need to worry that much about denting or ruining the cassette body. Is there a cog that I should get if I use the spacer kit? Do I need a thicker chain than my 8 speed chain. My bike will have v-brakes so there is no need for a disc rear hub. Thanks for your help!
    The cogs used in most single speed kits are punched steel. They are roughly the thickness of a std cog BUT they dont have the ramps or undersized teeth present on a geared cog. This makes them a better choice for a conversion. An 8spd chain is 3/32 and it is what i use for all my conversions (specifically the KMC Z610HX).

So if you want to avoid spending the coin on a complete eccentric wheel then buy a nice conversion kit (with tensioner) and get rolling. LIKE THIS.

Hell if you like it that much you can always splurge for the wheel later.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks alot for the info. I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon so I have horizontal drops. It looks like the best way to go is the conversion kit until I decide if I enjoy riding SS.

Misfit Psycles
    Thanks alot for the info. I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon so I have horizontal drops. It looks like the best way to go is the conversion kit until I decide if I enjoy riding SS.
    in that case you can get rolling with a conversion kit at a very reasonable price,,,enjoy!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Members who have read this thread: 0