mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?

These 3 bikes are at the top of my shopping list, but curious if you throw many chains when riding as single speed or rohloff equipped?

My current ride is a Trek Fuel with a Rohloff Speedhub. I want my next full suspension frame to look super clean without any guides or tensioners like I have to use on my Trek/Rohloff setup, so I am focused on concentric designs. I could go with the Lenz Sport Milk Money, but I desire something more exotic in my next frame material (Ti or Carbon).

When I study the La Ruta or stHighlight it looks to my eyes that some amount of chain growth has to occur as the chainstays arc during suspension travel and thus throwing a chain is likely? I'm looking for confirmation from actual owners that this is not an issue. I'd hate to spend big bucks and then have to throw on an ugly tensioner to prevent throwing chains.

Thanks for your advice!

mtbr member
    Call or e-mail James or Todd at blacksheep, they will give you all the info. I am pretty sure there is a soft tail single speed on the website.

Rohloff
    I'm not an actual owner of one of these pivotless bikes but I do own a Milk Money and looked at all these bikes a lot before getting my MM. I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems throwing a chain or need a tensioner. These bikes have been run numerous times with SSs and IGHs.

I will throw in that based on a little experimentation, I believe that a significant amount of friction can be found in chain tensioners and derailleur pullies. I really think you are going to like the clean, smooth set up of the bike you are thinking of building. Please let us updated on the progress of your bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ftp 13 & bsdc - thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping an actual owner will provide 1st hand experience and throwing chains is not a problem. My skeptimism about chain growth and throwing chains as a SS with the Funk or Black Sheep is due to an experiment I did at my local bike shop. We took a cannondale scalpel, wrapped the chain as a single speed using a zip tie as a link and fully compressed the roughly 4" of rear suspension travel and the zip tie snapped right away as the result of chain growth. It seems to me the funk and Black Sheep function similar to the Scalpel (I've been holding out for a Scalpel 29er to no avail)?

As an alternative experiment, perhaps a Funk owner running a derailluer set-up could fully compress the suspension and notice if the derailluer pulley cage moves at all during this suspension motion - this would be visible chain growth in action? I may have to move the Milk Money to the top of my list as chain growth is for sure a non-issue with this design (still an awesome ride!)

When I get more serious about a purchase I'll definitely call Darryl (Funk) or James (Black Sheep) for more details, but for now looking for experience from a SS Funk or Black Sheep Softail owner...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As far as I can see, the st Highlight has no excentric BB and thus a chain tensioner would be needed anyway due to chain "stretch" and normal wear of sprockets.

Single Speed Junkie
    Both options would be a viable option. I have a BS HT frame and really like the ride. Second one is on order, but considering canceling as I have not heard back from them since late last year when UPS screwed the pooch.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well I have a Funk Singlespeed LaRuta in the works and will post updates, pics once I get her up and built.
    I am also skeptical, but Daryl thinks it will work great. I have a geared LaRuta- which I LOVE, and bent Big D's ear for a year about a ss design. I ran the geared bike at the end of my race season SS with a Yess tensioner which worked great- but I hate having to change the chain length every time I want to use a different gear (lots of different terrain around here in the north east. Dr.D came up with a REALLY slick way for the chain tension, but we have to test it out first before we know its ready!
    Look for it/me at Singlespeed Polooza April 17th at Stewart State park, NY!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth!
    Well I have a Funk Singlespeed LaRuta in the works and will post updates, pics once I get her up and built.
    I am also skeptical, but Daryl thinks it will work great. I have a geared LaRuta- which I LOVE, and bent Big D's ear for a year about a ss design. I ran the geared bike at the end of my race season SS with a Yess tensioner which worked great- but I hate having to change the chain length every time I want to use a different gear (lots of different terrain around here in the north east. Dr.D came up with a REALLY slick way for the chain tension, but we have to test it out first before we know its ready!
    Look for it/me at Singlespeed Polooza April 17th at Stewart State park, NY!
    Thanks! Your feedback will be appreciated. I pulled the trigger on a used Milk Money and am building that up, but will definitely consider an upgrade to a La Ruta down the road if your experiance running single speed is successful. Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just completed my Milk Money Build with a Rohloff Speedhub - looking good if I don't say so myself! Still cold & wet in Michigan so no test ride yet...

Lacing up the Rohloff into a new hoop wasn't too bad, but took me a few hours!

Build came in just over 28lbs sans pedals/water cage/computer & right at 29lbs all in (see details for complete list).

Just under 25lbs (all in w/ pedals) when running as a single speed with a Stan's 355 rim and Chris King hub
    Figure about 27lbs (all in w/ pedals) as a 2x10 derailluer setup

future upgrades will get the build under 26lbs (all in w/ pedals) with the Rohloff (cannondale lefty, lighter crankset, carbon handlebar/seatpost, lighter front tire)

Devin at Lenz Sport is fabricating a Rohloff dropout for me so I can ditch the speedbone, but it will be a few weeks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-weight-v2.jpg  

Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-img_1026.jpg  

Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-img_1089.jpg  

Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-img_1090.jpg  

Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-img_1091.jpg  

Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-img_1094.jpg  

Last edited by gtoscott1970; 03-27-2011 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rohloff La Ruta

I will be getting my La Ruta around April 20th. I have a Rohloff laced up with a Velocity P35. I'll post the picts when its assembled. I'll also let you know about any chain growth problems. I am not expecting any. I was thinking of the Lenz before doing this. The La Ruta frame is amazing. Once it is in hand it is incomparable!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sweet! I have two of them now- one as a singlespeed! No chain growth here. Racing her this weekend at Single-Speed-Palooza!

mtbr member
    Sweet! I have two of them now- one as a singlespeed! No chain growth here. Racing her this weekend at Single-Speed-Palooza!
    I will definitely be looking for you at Singlespeedapalozza. I haven't seen a Funk in person yet, looking forward to it. I will be on a curvy full rigid Black Sheep.

BTW, How is the mud clearance? Looking to be wet again!

Mark

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cool! TONS of clearance! Should be wet, and fun! What you running for a gear? Thinking 32/19t for wet, 32/18t dry (its 27 miles)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Funk Classic

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I will definitely be looking for you at Singlespeedapalozza. I haven't seen a Funk in person yet, looking forward to it. I will be on a curvy full rigid Black Sheep.

BTW, How is the mud clearance? Looking to be wet again!

Mark
    Check out the Funk Classic if you like the Black Sheep rigid. Engineered suspension through material compliance! AND a classic look.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    LOVE THE FUNK CLASSIC! It actually has 1/2" of suspension with NO pivots NO Shock!!!
    WORD!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ztrailrider
    Check out the Funk Classic if you like the Black Sheep rigid. Engineered suspension through material compliance! AND a classic look.
    Hmm, couldn't find anything about the Funk Classic. Nothing on the website and nothing using Google, and more info? My Blacksheep was designed to have some 'give' as well. I wouldn't call it suspension, but there is at least a 1/2" of movement between the frame and seatpost. Breaks down for travel as well. I'll be getting it nice and muddy on Sunday!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Check it out, Dr.D himself. Super cool guy and great to work with. Love that Blacksheep! Where you from? I'm up in Taghkanic NY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNHkXxqGiTM

mtbr member
    Check it out, Dr.D himself. Super cool guy and great to work with. Love that Blacksheep! Where you from? I'm up in Taghkanic NY
    Very interesting, I like it! I'm all for the passive suspension designs, and that looks like a great idea. I'll bet Daryll could use the adjustable flex plate from the La Ruta on the classic for a really sweet singlespeed!

BTW, I'm in Westchester, usually ride Blue Mountain, Graham Hills & Sprain Ridge. Are you racing Sport?

Mark

mtbr member
    May 2005

ss funk!

Hi all
    I love Blue, but usually hit 909 a lot. Also Lenox Mass. Mostly end up racing on the weekends so it leaves little time for trail ridding except in the late Fall. Sorry for the bad pics, my iphone is crapping out.
    "Racing" expert. Hopefully do better than the last two years. accidentally without looking put a 22t on (thought it was a 20t-it was super muddy last year) and spun my balls off! Still ended in 24th I think in expert.
    Fats in the cats handle is Boomking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-funk-ss.jpg  

Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-funk-ss-sliders.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    here is a link to Daryl describing the frames

Nice Ride! Love the look and feel of Ti. Is there a string there or are you just fast with a camera?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi all
    I love Blue, but usually hit 909 a lot. Also Lenox Mass. Mostly end up racing on the weekends so it leaves little time for trail ridding except in the late Fall. Sorry for the bad pics, my iphone is crapping out.
    "Racing" expert. Hopefully do better than the last two years. accidentally without looking put a 22t on (thought it was a 20t-it was super muddy last year) and spun my balls off! Still ended in 24th I think in expert.
    Fats in the cats handle is Boomking
    Dang your bike is saaawwwweeeet! I'm definitely going to have to upgrade after I wear the Milk Money out. What is your frame size and how did the weight come in? How many miles on her? Please confirm you've never thrown a chain. I want to be a believer cause that bike is brilliant!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ztrailrider
    I will be getting my La Ruta around April 20th. I have a Rohloff laced up with a Velocity P35. I'll post the picts when its assembled. I'll also let you know about any chain growth problems. I am not expecting any. I was thinking of the Lenz before doing this. The La Ruta frame is amazing. Once it is in hand it is incomparable!
    Excellent! Your feedback will be much appreciated - I feel this bike is still in my future! Happy with the Lenz for now, but never hurts to dream...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Only 15 miles on her! I got her last week, built her up quick and pre-road the race course. The frame w/rear shock weight is 4.65 lbs! 80mm rear travel. Tapered headtube, butted downtube. She is a ROCKET! I was hooking and railing corners, sitting though the technical section and the traction is unbelievable! Maybe because its a Singlespeed but it seems to handle better than my geared LaRuta (I have two, same exact custom geometry!) The travel is sooooo smooth, so linear, stiff laterally AND NO CHAIN GROWTH! I do think the bolts for the sliders need to be bigger- or Daryl could run a BB30 in every bike and then you could put ebb and make everythin ss. In hind site, I wish I didn't have the del. cable braze-ons for a cleaner look, but thought maybe I might want to run gears- but now realize I already have that! (My other LaRuta)
    FYI- the frame weight is lower than many titanium SS hardtails! (I have a Salsa Selma ti, that I am not even going to build up after taking MiSS LaRuta out on a hot date!)
    OH, and I could run belt drive for shits and giggles....
    Last edited by Truth!; 04-14-2011 at 04:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Funk review part 1

THe La Ruta is in - the Rohloff is great I couldn't be happier - Now that I have it I wonder why people don't ride it more. I shift while I am coasting into a hill or between terrain. It's great. The shift to an easier gear sometimes needs a pause in the pressure on the pedals, but I can shift 1 or 5 gears at that time. It is so nice.
    The FUNK is great. It rides like my old Ti GT Xixang when the shock is locked out and like my previous bike , a Giant Trance 1, when active. The nice thing about the geometry is I don't feel like I'm in the "sag" on it. That is, the bike doesn't "squat" like many FS bikes do. In combination with the Reba fork with hydraulic lockout I get the advantage of a great climber and FS. It really is nice. It does not have the same amount of suspension as the Giant but the 29ers even things out. THis is a great XC set up particularly for 100s, the Colorado trail race or anything long. High performance and Zero maintenance - Tires that's it. I'll try to get some photos up soon that show some detail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed question for Funk La Ruta, Black Sheep stHighlight, Dean Duke owners?-salida-20110525-00001.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll be looking forward to more pics of the La Ruta. Sounds like you happy with your choice of the Funk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ztrailrider View Post
    THe La Ruta is in - the Rohloff is great I couldn't be happier - Now that I have it I wonder why people don't ride it more. I shift while I am coasting into a hill or between terrain. It's great. The shift to an easier gear sometimes needs a pause in the pressure on the pedals, but I can shift 1 or 5 gears at that time. It is so nice.
    The FUNK is great. It rides like my old Ti GT Xixang when the shock is locked out and like my previous bike , a Giant Trance 1, when active. The nice thing about the geometry is I don't feel like I'm in the "sag" on it. That is, the bike doesn't "squat" like many FS bikes do. In combination with the Reba fork with hydraulic lockout I get the advantage of a great climber and FS. It really is nice. It does not have the same amount of suspension as the Giant but the 29ers even things out. THis is a great XC set up particularly for 100s, the Colorado trail race or anything long. High performance and Zero maintenance - Tires that's it. I'll try to get some photos up soon that show some detail
    Thanks for this update - Your bike is brilliant and I'm totally jealous! I agree on the Rohloff and will add my favorite Rohloff enabler is never having to use a front derailluer - I can't count the number of times I needed to switch front chainrings on a derailluer bike to be in the fastest gear, but would often not bother because I new 50 yards down the trail I'd need to downshift for a long climb. I think always being in the right gear with the Rohloff offsets much of the nearly 2lb weight gain it adds to a bike. The overall Rohloff experience makes for a truely outstanding and unique ride! To put a Rohloff and a La Ruta together is my dream bike! Nice going!!!!!!! Please post more pics and if you ever throw a chain in the next 500 miles please let me know (I'm still worried about this).
    Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I couldn't take it anymore and ordered a Funk Classic Cruiser singlespeed! Wooohooo!
    Love your Blacksheep Bikeny! Thought I might catch up to you at the "bottlerace" at Blue?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How did the season go on this bike? Just wanting to confirm you had no chain drops or any other issues. I had a great year on my Lenz MM w/ Rohloff, but still dreaming about a Funk!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth! View Post
    I couldn't take it anymore and ordered a Funk Classic Cruiser singlespeed! Wooohooo!
    Love your Blacksheep Bikeny! Thought I might catch up to you at the "bottlerace" at Blue?
    I didn't make the bottleride (race?), or the Singlespeedapalooza either. I had a nasty crash 2 days before the race and f'ed up my shoulder. Couldn't ride for a few months. I actually took up trail running when I couldn't ride, and have been keeping that up, so not much riding lately.

Good luck with the Classic Cruiser, should be a beauty!

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The funk is great with the Rohloff. I did the Vaportrail 125 in 18 hours on it. No problems with the chain. I run a 13x32 for clearance. I had on time when I let the chain get too loose and it went up on the hub body. So if you run a 13 be sure to watch the chain tension. Other than that mishap it's been smooth sailing. I can tell that my hub is getting worn in. I have made the first oil change and it shifts smoother. This bike will be the one I am riding in ten years. I can"t see what would change that right now. I also have a shimano dyno Hub on the front matched to a Super nova E3 triple. The whole set up is dynamite. Nothing to do but ride. 1200 or so miles as of now and all I have done is tighten the chain.

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by ztrailrider View Post
    I also have a shimano dyno Hub on the front matched to a Super nova E3 triple. The whole set up is dynamite. Nothing to do but ride.
    You need to start a thread for this bike, showing some details -- sounds awesome!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Would you consider a SS with a Schlump 2 speed crank? There are no cables, you use your feet to shift. Cyclemonkey sells them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

funk ti classic

Looking to purchase my first 29er.The engineering behind the funk ti classic is unique to say the least. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rider reviews or pics on this bike. So lets see those classics!!

Members who have read this thread: 1