Single Speed Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Single Speed Question

Just started riding my GF Rig Single Speed and flat out love it. Def a whole new challenge to riding. I havent ridden hardtail for a while, unfortunately become lazy on my suspension. Has anyone else expericenced lower back pain intitally? does your muscles eventually become stronger? I live in GA and we have tons of roots on all our trails, theres nothing flat around here but the street. I ride typically 10 miles plus and my lower back is just jarred at the end of the ride. Just trying to get myself prepared mentally.... Any recommendations appreciated

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22
    Just started riding my GF Rig Single Speed and flat out love it. Def a whole new challenge to riding. I havent ridden hardtail for a while, unfortunately become lazy on my suspension. Has anyone else expericenced lower back pain intitally? does your muscles eventually become stronger? I live in GA and we have tons of roots on all our trails, theres nothing flat around here but the street. I ride typically 10 miles plus and my lower back is just jarred at the end of the ride. Just trying to get myself prepared mentally.... Any recommendations appreciated
    First, make sure you are standing up for any moderate climbing or hard pedaling.
    Second, make sure you aren't hunching when you do stand up to mash.

Not doing either one of those correctly will put much more strain on your lower back muscles

mtbr member
    I rode a trail somwhere NW of Atlanta...a bit NE of Kennesaw. I forgot the name. So it's similar to some of our trails except you guys have sharper rocks, but we have bigger and more roots.

When I went from my Rush to my Monocog, I did experience more lower back pains. Previously I'd only get them when I was climbing hard for extended period.

With the 'cog, I'm pulling as I stand up and pedal and all that force has to go through your core muscles as you transfer the leverage to your legs.

I can say that my lower back pains have diminished. But it took about 4 weeks of riding consistently. I'm sure I've been strengthening things during that time.

I would play around with your gearing. I went from the stock 18t cog to a 20t cog and that made a huge difference.
    Just get out and ride!

I H8 cigarettes...
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    make sure you aren't hunching when you do stand up to mash
    This was big for me... Early on I would be hunched over the bars and this definitely led to lower back strain. Once I started to keep my back-neck-head str8 over the pedals (and my back got stronger) I haven't had much trouble.
    One is enough...

Abby Normal
    I started doing the ss 29er thing over the summer here in CO, and it definitely works your lower-mid back A LOT if you ride anything approaching hilly terrain. I found that running a lower gear helped quite a bit (along with just riding easier trails for awhile to help get in shape).

mtbr member
    I figured it mainly had to do with form, as you all have experienced you are def pedaling with all your might in the beginning. I will also look into different cogs. Traffic I think your reffering to Blankets Creek, I've actually ridden the Van Michael trail twice on the Rig - def challenging.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had lower back pain when i started along with hand and fore arm pain due to a rigid fork. You'll develop the muscles and it will get easier and much more enjoyable to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    sounds like technique and possibly gearing...standup and mash away. i'm relatively green to the ss scene, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. just riding a ghetto fabulous hardtail i put together to try singles out. if it helps, i live in NE GA and run 32x19(i think, maybe 18). i just used some cogs off an old cassette. like i said, ghetto fabulous

mtbr member
    My last ride was a blast, no lower back pain. Worked on form and technique the whole ride - definitely made the difference. I think the first few rides I tried real technical trails causing me to throw my body too much. Overall having a blast riding the SS Rig, going to continue to work on technique and experience with some different cogs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Work on technique but dont focus on it. Dont focus on anything, just ride. The rest will just happen, or it wont.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22
    I figured it mainly had to do with form, as you all have experienced you are def pedaling with all your might in the beginning. I will also look into different cogs. Traffic I think your reffering to Blankets Creek, I've actually ridden the Van Michael trail twice on the Rig - def challenging.
    Yup, I think that was the name of the trails. I remember it started with a B and had a Creek in the name. :P

I think a 32/20 would do well there. There are some ups and downs, but no long/steep climbs. Either steep and short or not as steep and a little longer.

If you don't particularly like climbing, I'm sure you can try even a 22 cog to see how it goes.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    I had lower back pain for awhile. It went away some as I got in better shape. I also had to raise my bars just slightly when the suspension was taken off. That helped. And a low tire pressure.

Members who have read this thread: 0