Single speed question..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Single speed question..

HI, I have a hardrock thats too small for me..well at least for maintaining speed on the trail..I swapped all its components to a new larger frame. Now I wanna make the hardrock into a jump/fr bike. I want to go single speed but am not sure what the best route is..As it stands the only thing on the bike is a spare seat post..can I just buy a regular rim and put a single speed cassette on it? Or is it a special type of rim? Looking at all these single speed bike with only a few wires hanging around makes me drool..such sexy bikes

Thanks,
    Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Standard hub rims will work okay, but you will need a tensioner. Since you are starting from zero, you are better off by building a wheel with eccentric white industries eno hub. This route, you will have a better set up and avoid the tensioner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hmm thanks for the info. Is there any type of wheel I can buy with such a hub already installed? I have never built a wheel before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not realy because these are custom hub wheels for ss fanatics that do not like the tensioner, but a bike shop can build for you. It is very rare even to find a used one on ebay. It will be a little costly but you will have a nicer set up for a freestyle. If it was pure xc ss, a regular hub/cog with a tensioner and spacer kit is a cheaper route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well..how hard is it to build up a wheel? Maybe I could build it and have the shop true it.

Members who have read this thread: 0