Single Speed with Multiple Speeds?- Mtbr.com
    gran jefe
    Nov 2011

Single Speed with Multiple Speeds?

I am confused as to why people are talking about single speed rear freewheels with multiple cogs on them. I thought single speeds had only one gear on the crank, and one on the rear. I promise I am not trying to start an argument here. If there is an old thread where this was overly hashed, I would be happy to read it, and the mods can delete this one. Thank you for patiently answering my question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I started it! I figure it's the best place to discuss, as:
    - there's still no shifting systems
    - it would still be utilising the fundamentals of a SS
    - it requires input/experience/knowledge of drivetrain, gearing, chainlength, chainline, chainwidth, chain tension, and so on
    - I had no idea where else to ask!
    I started thinking about it when contemplating a race here in Aus that starts out with a monster climb, then heads into 70km of undulating dream singletrack. I have a geared bike, but thought it's be great to take the "SS". Gearing would be a problem, thus I thought maybe one granny for the big climb(s), and one "standard" gear for the rest.
    At no stage did I suggest this was a SS. I would even enter under the "geared" bike section in the event!
    Mat

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    So people are running 1x3 up to 1x10 rigs, but without a derailleur to shift them? Well, I guess WITH a derailleur to hold tension, but no shifter on the handlebars?

It's not just you. There's a big thread with all kind of guys talking about their multi-geared single speeds.

AZ
    banned
    Would you trust a geared rider?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Maybe one for the mod's? Should we add a category called "Dingles" or "doubles" or "multispeed setups" or something? I know where you're coming from. To me it makes no sense to run something like 1 x 10 with a tensioner, when one may as well just run a derailleur. I suppose the point is the fact that we all love to ride all sorts of setups, and we all love an excuse to stuff and muck about on the tools, as well as use phrases like, "gear inches" to impress the girls.
    However, when it comes to gear ratios, chain tensioning, chainlength, and chainline, it's the SS gang that will answer the questions!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Would you trust a geared rider?
    Yes? But not if he called it a single speed? I don't think I understand the question.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mat-with-one-t View Post
    something like 1 x 10 with a tensioner
    ah, so there are special tensioners for these rigs? okay, i'm good then. thanks so much for explaining.

Kicker of Elves

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    they're whole threads on dingle and even tringle set-ups, even dingle fixed.
    let it go, it's not new and it has been discussed ad nauseum.|

and someone's gonna be along shortly to chew your head off for suggesting that anything with more than a single chainring and a single cog on it isn't a singlespeed.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Positive reps for you all, and I'm going to try to get the mods to delete this whole thread before it turns ugly. Thank you for your courteous and genuine and helpful answers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Delete it why? You asked a question, people talked about it. Now it's here for anyone to read. Purpose of online forum accomplished. Next!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mat-with-one-t View Post
    Maybe one for the mod's? Should we add a category called "Dingles" or "doubles" or "multispeed setups" or something?..
    already have one....it's called 'General'

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    ...and I'm going to try to get the mods to delete this whole thread before it turns ugly.....
    nope - it's gonna stay for a bit.

and FYI....pretty much everything here in SS is ugly, will get ugly....or will point you to ugly

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    SS has 3 gears: sit stand and push. It's just that simple.
    Ride & Smile

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt View Post
    SS has 3 speeds: sit stand and push. It's just that simple.
    fixed

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was tinkering with the idea of two cogs up front and two in the rear, with equal or similar chain length. Maybe a dos eno freewheel or just use cogs. Depends on wheel build.

Top of the hill, bust out multi tool for a few minutes, and throw chain on DH speed.

Currently I ride a kona stuff 26" trials bike/ urban on trails and to feed my new SS addiction, I am probably getting a kona unit 29 ASAFPWW(wife willing lol)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    that's a dingle, search around, should find tons of mentions.
    easy to do with a cassette hub, for freewheels you're looking at white industries only (AFAIK)
    they've got a sweet 16/19 tooth dos that'll net you a 6 tooth difference (between cogs and chainrings) that's a real difference between road and offroad use.

I never needed a tool for mine, you just want the chain slack enough to shove the chain over with your thumb (but not so slack it skips)

Bill- sorry, hope I didn't come off too jerky. just anticipating the hailstorm of "if it's got more than one..."

see? we can play nice!
    now get freewheel n steel and dump that plastic cassette hub'd nancy bike!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah I came across a few dingle threads after that post. I'm just getting back into biking now that I am done with college and working at home depot needless to say :|

I want to do a Catalina island trip with my friend after Christmas and thats when the dingle idea came up. Not the purest form of SS but nothing but two cogs touching the chain an rigid has gotta earn me some respect haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Easier

After spending a week on my first SS with screw on freewheel, I found it a pain in the a$$ to pull the wheel, set up a FW tool in the vise, screw it off and screw another size FW on just to change gears. Depending on where I ride today determines on what gear I want. Sometimes an easier trail and sometimes a harder one. I could keep 3 bikes set up ready to go or I could use a cassette wheel, 3 cogs and spacers to avoid the vise. Nothing earth shattering, just easier. Maybe not PURE SS but it works fine for me. With that said I seldom change gears these days so a SS freewheel set up would be fine if that's all I had.
    Also at 160 lbs I've never had a problem singlespeeding on a dished cassette wheel.

Pat