single speed gears- Mtbr.com
    Are you talkin to me?

single speed gears

I have extra 7-8-9speed cassettes. I was wondering if I could take them apart and use them as single gears on my 1speed mtn bike.
    Are they strong enough they seem to be thinner than the gears made for single speeds.

Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    Well, if they are strong enough for regular use...Try them until you find the ratio you like, then upgrade to a thicker one.

The chain may jump off a thin one easier, but if you use a tensioner you may be fine for now.

Sweep the leg!
    Yeah, they're a touch thinner than Surly or other SS specific cogs but they can work. I have a few older Shimano SIS non-HG (hyperglide) non-ramped cogs and they work the best of the shimano cogs.
    Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 03-29-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

stick
    One of the other things you need to think about is that most singlespeed-specific chainrings/gears are not ramped. All gears from a set that is designed to shift gears are ramped. This means that some [in my experience, usually every other] tooth is shaved down, much like a knife blade. This makes it easier for the chain to grab onto it when shifting, and also easier for it to slip off to the next gear. If you haven't figured it out yet, this is BAD for a singlespeed. That's my only addition.

Members who have read this thread: 0