Single Speed Dilemma… build 26” or 29” or buy complete SS…- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Single Speed Dilemma… build 26” or 29” or buy complete SS…

Thinking of building or buying a single speed soon but have a dilemma...26” or 29” or buy a complete SS bike. I have some Paul hubs built up to 26” that are left over from a bike that I parted out and am thinking that I will build a bike off these.

Wondering if I should break those down and build up 29er wheels and go from there or to sell them off and buy a complete bike.

Tom

mtbr member
    I would go 29er. try one out at a local shop or see if you of your buddies will part with there bike for a day. I think 29er single speed makes the most sense.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    I I think 29er single speed makes the most sense.
    Why? I'm going to build an SS. I'd like to hear your reasoning....
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Ovaries on the Outside
    If you already have some parts, maybe it will work well to build a bike. Usually it is cheaper to purchase a complete bike and most SS completes are 29ers.

You'll get a lot of direction on the wheelsize. I think a larger front wheel makes sense, but I enjoy my 26" SS too, so..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Pro's and Con's

I was in the same dilemna and so where a few of my friends.

I found a used 26 ss and got a screaming deal on it. Very low demand for the 26 ss.
    I was new to the ss thing and most of my friends talked me out of the 29er. They were so wrong and now they all are on 29's but that is a different story.

Rode the 26 ss for 6 months and sold it for $125 less than what i paid for it, the guy who got the bike was very happy with the price and bike.

I ended up buying the ss 29er of my dreams since i had already ridden a ss for a while and was not worried about not liking it.

My other friend had some parts laying around and decided to build a 26 ss. He refused to buy a used one because he was convinced he could build it for cheap since he already had a wheelset and a few parts. By the time his build was done and he did it all on the cheap he spent more money than i did on my used bike and mine was spec'd way nicer.

There is a very small demand for 26 ss now. So resale is something to consider.

If i were you i would keep and eye out for a used 29er. Since ss 29er's are the new craze there are a lot of people buying and a lot of people getting rid of them too.

I normally would not buy a used bike but take the der and shifters out of the mix and the only thing you really need to be concerned about is the fork and the wheelset. These are easy items to inspect and determine if they are good or bad.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178
    Thinking of building or buying a single speed soon but have a dilemma...26” or 29” or buy a complete SS bike. I have some Paul hubs built up to 26” that are left over from a bike that I parted out and am thinking that I will build a bike off these.

Wondering if I should break those down and build up 29er wheels and go from there or to sell them off and buy a complete bike.

Tom

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    I was new to the ss thing and most of my friends talked me out of the 29er. They were so wrong and now they all are on 29's but that is a different story.
    Please tell the story. Why were your friends so wrong? What do you (and your friends) like so much better about 29's vs 26's?
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I'm in the middle of a 26" hardtail build right now and let me tell you, hubs aren't the place to start a build from. If you want the experience of going through a build and spec'ing each individual component, by all means go for it and plan to spend about a month of your life doing research, ordering parts, and building your bike. If you just want to get out and ride, buy a complete and then use those Pauls for a nice 29" wheelset when you feel like upgrading.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Ummmmmm

There are things you don't talk about with strangers. Religion, Politics, Abortion and wheel size.....

Kidding, I am not saying 29ers are for everyone. That's what i like to ride.
    I don't feel like beating the dead horse because.....It's dead!

Members who have read this thread: 0