Single speed conversion.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Single speed conversion.

I have this old GT outpost bike that i would like to convert to single speed, do to all the rust and the left hand gear shifter not working at all. The cable for the shifter on the lower tube is completely rusted.

I would like to use this bike just to cummute around town and school(30 minutes round trip) when it rains. basically i want a beater bike, instead of always using my specialized hardrock disc all the time. So from the pictures i have provided will it be easier/less expensive to just get a tune up and replace parts. Or going single speed. If i go single speed what components do i need to replace? Im not trying to look at spending to much money as little as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single speed conversion.-photo.jpg  

Single speed conversion.-photo1.jpg  

Single speed conversion.-photo2.jpg  

Single speed conversion.-photo3.jpg  

Single speed conversion.-photo4.jpg  

2008 HardRock Comp Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So i looked into it alot further and i have a 1994 model so it isnt the most ideal bike to convert to a SS. I decided to completely strip it down and start from scratch. to many rusty part apperently and i would have to replace almost all components as teeth were also missing front and back. the drivetrain was unusable. Picked out all new parts and she will be ready for friday after 5pm. I only kept the frame, crank, wheelset, and brake and gear shifter combo. all else will be shiny new. It was sorta an impulse decision as i hated to have to get rid of the bike my grandpop's used to ride everyday. I acquired it in 2004. i probably will have spent more than i should have for such an old bike. Ill post pictures once i get it.
    2008 HardRock Comp Disc

Ride Responsibly
    Good bike to learn your way around the nuts and bolts. Enjoy!

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by PEEZIECP4
    So i looked into it alot further and i have a 1994 model so it isnt the most ideal bike to convert to a SS. I decided to completely strip it down and start from scratch. to many rusty part apperently and i would have to replace almost all components as teeth were also missing front and back. the drivetrain was unusable. Picked out all new parts and she will be ready for friday after 5pm. I only kept the frame, crank, wheelset, and brake and gear shifter combo. all else will be shiny new. It was sorta an impulse decision as i hated to have to get rid of the bike my grandpop's used to ride everyday. I acquired it in 2004. i probably will have spent more than i should have for such an old bike. Ill post pictures once i get it.
    Make sure you make a good decision as to the gear ratio, if you err either way you'll either be spinning out, or stuck at lights in a gear that's too tall.

Good luck, it'll be fun!
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Members who have read this thread: 0