mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Single Speed for college?

Plan on going to Texas Tech after I graduate high school this year. It's as flat as a board in Lubbock so I don't think I need the all the gears. Also looking for a bike that I can use on some of the trails (if there are any) up there. Dad says I should get a road bike for college in that it'd be faster, I said I'd probably want to use something more sturdy and less easy to break.

Been looking at this bike off of bikesdirect:

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes

Just wondering what ya'll think. Haven't hit up the forum in awhile either, felt the need to post...

Thanks, Kevin.

Some Dude
    I vote yes on a single speed. You can use it for dual purpose by getting some road tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nashbar has a single speed 29er that would work well... And it's cheap.

mtbr member
    Single speed CX fits the bill.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    FWIW, road bikes are plenty sturdy. I hop mine off curbs and I ride on dirt paths and fire roads all the time, on 23c slicks at 100 PSI.

However, I do enjoy the more upright position of a mountain bike for commuting. A 29er with some fat slicks should do you fine.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Ditto on that.

Although, for college, get a $50 old steel framed hard tail and convert it to SS for a few bucks. The only bike I ever had stolen was at college. (pretty nice Gary Fisher at the time).

mtbr member
    it looks like the perfect bike for college. I have shopped with bikesdirect before and have always been happy with them. You might also want to thin about the SS transit bike at performance. Not as cheep but fun to ride

The need for singlespeed
    First find out if there are any trails out there, and what they're like. Then get whatever bike fits that description and your budget. Pretty much any bike is sufficient for zipping around campus--bmx was my weapon of choice in those days.

mtbr member
    I am sure there are some sort of trails somewhere near Lubbock, check the Texas forum or the local SORBA website.

are you staying in the dorms? will have have a safe, DRY place to store it? (when I was in college, i kept my bmx bike in my dorm room. keeping bicycles in the dorms was supposed to be forbidden, but no one cared. my roommate during my second year was also a bmx ride, so that was fun.) find a way to keep it safe and dry.

a single-speed mtb should be fine for getting around campus if it's a small campus. if you plan to ride anywhere other than campus, a mtb will be slow and cumbersome. but if you are actually going to use it to ride trails too, get the mtb.

anyways, college campuses are notorious for bicycle theft, so get a GOOD lock and never leave the bike out of reach for even five seconds without a lock.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Tech dorm rooms are small, tough to store a bike in there. Can be done if you're determined. +1 for bike theft. Keep it locked up. Check Sheldon Brown for more info on how to secure. The campus is huge, it's nice to have a bike, but it's also nice to check out the talent on the bus.

A stout CX bike with some fatties would be ok for most of the trails out there, but so would a SS 26 or 29. You're main opponent is wind. It's always blowing and will make you more b!tchy than Umarth after you get blasted in the face by sand @ 50 mph.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trust me road bikes are sturdy, but if you want a mountain bike more then it should be because you want to trail ride or at least not stick to the roads. I ride a nice road bike and lemme tell you they are a lot of work to keep clean and working well. I used to race them so I am constantly making sure it is race ready. I built up a SS mountain bike when I came to college and I have a little more fun doing that now, so I hit the trails with that and keep my road bike for long training rides.

Beer is my spirit animal
    A nice cheap SS will be less of an emotional loss when (not if) it gets stolen. Also, no deraillers to bend when you drunkenly crash the bike on your way back to your dorm. Even better, set it up fixed and reverse the brakes, then purposely leave it unlocked so you can watch the ******bag that tries to steal it endo.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I must also agree!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Knolan, are you going to have access to a car to drive to the trails or will you ride from campus? If you're riding to the trails, SSCX fo sho. If driving, a SS mtn bike would work as well.

Have you considered a Redline Monocog? Good value new, AND abundant on CL. Damm sure don't buy anything that's flashy. Colorplace spray paint is your friend.

I would suggest walking and taking the bus to class (to check out the abundant talent), then running around town on your bike. Keep the bike locked to your bed inside your room. The door locks on the Tech dorms are not very secure.

Sweep the leg!
    If I was your dad I'd do this: set you up with a 1970's 3 speed or 5 speed bike for your primary transportation. (see my daughter's below). Then I'd hook you up with a SS 29er for your trail needs (which you would keep in a locked space, like your dorm room.) Then if there was room in the budget you'd have a proper road bike too (also stored in a locked space)

The 3/5 speed bike option has a lot of appeal. They're pretty damn sturdy. 26x1 3/8" or 27" tires and tubes are easily found at hardware stores, Kmart, Walmart and LBS's. They're simple and low maintenance. You can lock them with a solid cable and U-lock and they have low theft appeal. Most have fenders too, so you don't get splattered as much if it rains.

Besides my daughter, I have friends with kids at MIT, Notre Dame, U-Washington, Georgia who are using 1/3/5 speed versions of that format. Nobody's had bike or theft problems, well, the one at ND had her bike stolen. It was unlocked. They got it back at the end of the semester when they spotted it on the rear rack on the minivan in front of them on campus. It was a great story. The thief (a student) had stolen it for his GF (also a student) and given it to her as a gift. The parent understood completely and gave the bike back but not before lecturing the child about how something like that would impact her academic career at ND. Had it been reported to the administration they'd have both been expelled. Junior College is a bit of a step down from ND.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed for college?-3-speed.jpg  

Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    +1 on the redline monocog. Pick one up new or used for cheap. Not flashy but a helluva bike. Can be a college commuter a d a trail bike.

I like stuff
    If you want to buy new the Monocog is a helluva deal...

Actually the RL Flight is a ripoff and the standard MC is a steal IMHO.

Yes I have a MC