Single speed on the Cheap?- Mtbr.com
    I miss f88

Single speed on the Cheap?

So I would really like to try single speed, for the exercise and and the ease of maintenance. I'd like not to spend very much money, as I just blew most all of my on my FS (which I love and will be my main bike).
    I have two options:
    1. I can convert my Rincon to Singlespeed. Obviously this is cheaper. There are a couple of problems with this method though: It's up at school, so I wouldn't be able to do it all summer, and I'd frankly rather have gears on it. Also, the suntour fork is craped out, so I'd have to spend the $ to get a new fork. BB7's would be next. Point is, the upgrades wouldn't be that cheap

I'd rather buy a SS for $500 or less (preferably less). My only requirements are that It have a front fork (I'm not manly enough to go rigid 26". I think I could live with rigid 29", but I'm small and like the maneuverability of 26", but it's not a deal breaker) and decent brakes. (also, I wouldn't mind it being light) I didn't see much on Craigslist, and so far the 1fg ultra I'm looking at on ebay is probably gonna go past the cost barrier.

I'm not particularly mechanically skilled, though I'm a quick learner, but I'd rather have a complete bike.

Thoughts?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I miss f88
    anyone?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Thread Killer
    $500 is quite a healthy budget, i must say...bare in mind, i'm not gonna talk about buying a new bike because i've spent this summer flipping thrift store bikes to make a couple extra bucks, so i've got at least a little insight into this used pricing thing. you can normally find decent bikes at garage sales or thrift stores. the most i've ever spent on a thrift store bike was $30, and the guy who sold it was being an ******* because he didn't want to sell a bike to two 20somethings. figure in $30 for a single-speed conversion kit, $20 for a chain, and those are actually high estimates. then, i've always figured on about $100 on top of that to restore the bike and get it ridable. but, that's just the bare minimum of what i do...as i said, you can do a LOT with a fix'er'up with $500. new rims, new fork, new handlebars, you name it.

although, with $500 you could buy a brand new entry-level mtb and singlespeed it.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Cheezy Rider
    I'm with laxman, find an old beater with a trashed drivetrain and spend 50 bucks converting it. If you decide you really like SS then you can buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001
    (which I love and will be my main bike).
    This will change.

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    This will change.
    haha. We'll see. You and your blue 29" rigid SS...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    GT Ruckus SS? Jenson USA has the old model for $350.. should meet your requirements. single speed, front shock, disc brakes, 26"

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by ssm-gd3
    GT Ruckus SS? Jenson USA has the old model for $350.. should meet your requirements. single speed, front shock, disc brakes, 26"
    very very tempting, though I've heard it's heavy...
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Combat Wombat
    very very tempting, though I've heard it's heavy...
    At a $500 or less budget and you are worrying about weight?

Brian

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    At a $500 or less budget and you are worrying about weight?

Brian
    So I want it all, sue me. But I probably would rather get a better bike used. And if I didn't care about weight I'd just convert the rincon.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    DUDE i didnt realize that was you! Is your avatar from the outlaw race? I say you should get a used 29er singlespeed. Give the rigid a try and if you dont like it you can but a fork later. Are you registered on theanthills.com? If not, register and PM 1speed. He moved to phoenix but has alot of bikes and will probably build one to fit your budget. Hes a cool cat. Otherwise, craigslist? How tall are you? Ill keep an eye out.

I miss f88
    yea thats from the race. and I haven't gotten on the anthills forum yet, but I'll do that. I've been looking on CL, not much. I'm like 5'8"
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Im not a big fan of Motobecane but i remember cycle spectrum in katy having 2 single speeds. Its the outcast 29er. Aluminum frame so its probably lighter than mine by a few pounds. Its rigid, which doesnt mix well with aluminum on our trails, it would be a rougher ride than a good steel frame. But if i remember correctly they were selling for $350 ish which leaves you with some cash for a good used fork. My brother just picked up a brand new Redline Monocog and loves it. If i were to buy a new bike right now i would make sure it had sliding dropouts just for old school simplicity.

I miss f88
    Yeah im split between dropouts and an EBB. I like the simplicity of the dropouts, but the ease of changing a tire with the EBB.

Or I could just convert the 10 year old Magna MTN Tamer I found in our shed....
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Apr 2007
    I can change the tire on my Monocog just as fast as any other bikes I own. I don't know why people think it's so complicated. Undo bolts. Take off chain. Take off wheel.

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I can change the tire on my Monocog just as fast as any other bikes I own. I don't know why people think it's so complicated. Undo bolts. Take off chain. Take off wheel.
    Something about the adjusting the rear disc. I don't profess to know.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Yeah, I wouldn't say that it is complicated, but you can't deny that wheel changes are easier with an EBB or sliders.

Certain setups can be more complicated too (my QR wheel with skewer, tensioner and additional washer is at lot of pieces to deal with then removing/installing the wheel) and some frames require the disc caliper to be loosened to remove the wheel out the back (Karate Monkey is one examples iirc). Also, re-installing the wheel at the exact same angle can be annoying to get right and avoid brake rub on hydraulic discs with tight pad clearance

mtbr member
    The Nashbar SS 29er is on sale right now for $399. I've read a few positive reviews on it.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...212_-1___11500

Good luck...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We dont have alot of need for disc brakes here in Houston. And i have spent alot more time messing with my EBB than i have changing tires. If you want an EBB and disc brakes ill sell you mine so i can build a frame with sliding dropouts and rim brakes. Lighter and much more simple.

And i would stick with a 29er.

EDIT: Just checked out the nashbar. Its super cheap and you can add a shock later. rim brakes and sliders, i like it.

Apr 2007
    Nashbar 9er is aluminum. No thanks.

boomn - yeah, they are easier - I'll admit. BUT, track ends aren't hard at all, which frankly this shouldn't even be brought up in the first place. If you're not competent enough to change a tube/tire on track ends, you don't belong on a bike. Also, I'd say if I timed myself, I would be within seconds between EBB/sliders vs. track ends.

I miss f88
    I mean, how much do you want for it?
    But I would love to try it for a bit.
    I don't think I really care about EBB or track, I'll learn either way.
    I might just have to grow a pair and go rigid.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm in Houston and ride a nashbar niner, if you want to try it out some time. Complaints about aluminum aside, it is what it is- a $400, 26lb 29er.

mtbr member
    just like the difference up front with a rigid fork, an aluminum 29er frame felt much better to me than an aluminum 26er frame

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypecans
    I'm in Houston and ride a nashbar niner, if you want to try it out some time. Complaints about aluminum aside, it is what it is- a $400, 26lb 29er.
    where do you ride?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Most often on the north side of Houston at the Cypresswood trails, but I've been meaning to make more trips to the Anthills and Memorial. I'll be out of town until next week, unfortunately, but after that I'd be glad to hit the trails sometime.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Dude, let me know cause we are out there almost every day. Some days we ride, some days we drink too much beer, but were out there.

And, i dunno if i can sell my bike. My gf would kill me cause she bought me this bike lol. But if you want we can swap and ride the trails together and take a spin on his aluminum too and see what you like. I say give rigid a shot. Alot of people here buy a shock for their rigid bikes and cant bring themselves to put it on the bike. You will learn to pick your lines alot better. After riding rigid for a while you will be a beast on your full squish.

i think they have these little CNC lookin thingys for sliding dropouts that make it work like a vertical dropout. That way you set your tension once and then it drops right into place every time. Cant beat that.

I miss f88
    you're the one that offered to sell it...
    But yeah I'll see you sometime. Like when it's not muddy... My tires had about a half inch of mud on them today.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    you're the one that offered to sell it...
    But yeah I'll see you sometime. Like when it's not muddy... My tires had about a half inch of mud on them today.
    Yea i know lol.

Where did you ride? I rode memorial yesterday and the trails were ridable. Im doing the anthills today, i heard they were good to go?

I miss f88
    I rode anthills yesterday. They were close to rideable but a little too soft. They should be ok except for a couple spots.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

bikexor
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/1248484370.html

this guy did a nice convo with a tensioner and some bmx parts. i almost bought it but i had more fun converting one myself. he used to have a picture of the bike.

It was this one: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...itai&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    where is ant hills? i guess i'll need to do some googling..

i'm going to houston this weekend.. bringing my uncomfortable aluminum 29er with me too : /

I miss f88
    Ant hills are at terry hershey park. I always use the entrance on Dairy Ashford.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I miss f88
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Combat Wombat
    I would go for the El Mariachi. It comes with a fork, which is a good one, and you can run it SS or gears. On top of that, the frame is made from Reynolds 853, which means that if you put the right parts on it.......can be built up fairly light. And last, but not least, they look real sweet. The only down side, I am betting that you are going to start seeing some serious bidding on that frame tomorrow. But who knows, maybe you can get lucky. Over the years I have managed to score a few good deals on eBay that left me feeling very happy, but still wondering how it happened.

Brian

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    I would go for the El Mariachi. It comes with a fork, which is a good one, and you can run it SS or gears. On top of that, the frame is made from Reynolds 853, which means that if you put the right parts on it.......can be built up fairly light. And last, but not least, they look real sweet. The only down side, I am betting that you are going to start seeing some serious bidding on that frame tomorrow. But who knows, maybe you can get lucky. Over the years I have managed to score a few good deals on eBay that left me feeling very happy, but still wondering how it happened.

Brian
    yeah it's the nicest, but also the most expensive, (cost AND cost of components...)
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I miss f88
    or this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

Craigslist just doesn't have jack in Houston, Austin, or Dallas.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Apr 2007
    That's not a bad deal on the inbred with Rock Shox Reba. Decent components, too. For $650, not bad at all. If you sell that fork and go rigid, you'd be at $450 total purchase price, which is great for that bike.

Regarding the Salsa EM, the only thing I don't like is the EBB. I know plenty have had good luck with them, but I just prefer the good old track ends. And the steel is nicer on this bike, but honestly, I have ridden many steel 29ers and as far as the ride comfort, can't tell too much difference between my 4130 Monocog to a $3k custom Gunnar SS 29er.

I miss f88
    this one? not a 9er but it has great components and I could always make it a 69er.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

also on my watch list:

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I miss f88
    any other places I should be looking?
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would either snatch that Salsa befoer someone else does(me) and build an SS or get the Inbred. The Inbred looks to be a good bike with decent stuff on it. Both can be made into geared bikes also. But that salsa takes the cake in my book.

EDIT: just saw that the Inbred is geared. You can make it SS for cheap and go back to geared if you dont like it.

I miss f88
    lost the bidding on the salsa, looking at the haro and inbred right now
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Go for the inbred...that's your best bet.

Although, why not buy a brand new 29er monocog for <$450? Add bb7 disks for <$100 and you have a sweet bike for $500-$550 max. Sure, no suspension, but you don't need the suspension up there anyways!

I miss f88
    I've considered it. The LBS has the Monocog for $600, which is IMHO a little expensive... I bidded on the hero at $600, but not a penny more. After that I'll look into the Inbred, and if not see what I can do monocog or similar 9er wise.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Combat Wombat
    Check out the Redline in the MTBR classifieds this mourning?

Brian

I miss f88
    well I of course ignored yall and got the Haro. We'll see. The guy did such a terrible job of listing it that as long as it is what he says it is I could probably sell it close to if not for more than what I payed. Or I'll love it and be happy.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

curls of thunder!!
    Jul 2009
    Oh, i need to read this more thorougly when I'm not at work (oops!)

Hello from Houston as well...

Houston Fixed Gear is opening a boutique around the corner from my apt. in about a week they said.

I've been personally really wanting to build a SS, but the promise of half built bike haunting my front porch and $$$$ in parts has my husband saying no.

Thanks for helping me with a solid argument

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by weenfreek
    Oh, i need to read this more thorougly when I'm not at work (oops!)

Hello from Houston as well...

Houston Fixed Gear is opening a boutique around the corner from my apt. in about a week they said.

I've been personally really wanting to build a SS, but the promise of half built bike haunting my front porch and $$$$ in parts has my husband saying no.

Thanks for helping me with a solid argument
    good luck with your build. I'm definitely not skilled enough mechanically yet, so I'm definitely glad I went with a complete bike, though if I do sell it that may possibly change.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

curls of thunder!!
    Jul 2009
    I'm just crazy enough to jump into anything... (that's how I learned to weld, HA!)
    it was a stetch to get my MTB to begin with (we had the Huffy/Magna vs. lbs bike argument for weeks), but I worked some overtime and got my Fisher. If I could find a decent garage sale ride with some decent stock stuff still and bring it home, i wonder how much he can argue...

Anyways, like I said, i'll read this back over tonight.

Members who have read this thread: 0