Single speed chains that use a easy on , easy off link...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Single speed chains that use a easy on , easy off link...

I'm building up a S.S. and I would like to go with a chain that's compatible with an power link , missing link or conex so I can swap out chains with ease..Would a sram 8 speed pc-870 do the trick ?? and whats the word on using 8,9,10 speed chains on S.S. .....I'm using a niner rear cog with an MRP 34 front ring...A little research shows the KMC x9.93, KMC x8.93 , connex 808, Seem to fit my needs...Please advise

mtbr member
    I've used the KMC 610 and 8.93 with a lot of happy pedaling in their lifetime. I've also used Sram 951 and 971 with a lot of happy pedaling. Good chainline and a reputable chain company will open your options to personal preference. Enjoy.

My personal preference is that after my current 610 goes out of spec, i have 4 brand new 8.93 chains waiting to install. Nothing wrong with a geared chain on a SS application.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ive always been a big fan of wipperman chains.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You already have the answer - SRAM 8 speed chains. I have been using them for years and have never had a single failure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    You already have the answer - SRAM 8 speed chains. I have been using them for years and have never had a single failure.
    I used one, and it failed after a few months. That said I have broken almost every single speed chain I have ever used except KMC.
    KMC 410 cheep ($10), easy and strong
    KMC 810 still under $20, good looking, and strong.

mtbr member
    If you dont need a half-link, use a KMC X9.93 with a Wippermann Connex link. Or even a Wippermann chain.

The Connex master links are the best you can find as they stay put, last forever, and best of all are easily removed by hand when necessary. The Wippermann chains would probably be great for SS, they last forever but shift like crap so not an issue on a singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Another SRAM 8speed user. P870 - been using them for 7 years on my SS and never a failure.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    KMC Z-72 because it was cheap. It's working fine. Another vote for the Connex. I've tried the Powerlink, Missing Link and at least 2 versions of the Superlink. I haven't found anything better than the Connex.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    KMC z610hx. this is the narrow version of the z510hx that I and tons of other bmx guys have enjoyed on bmx bikes for years.

mtbr member
    Another vote for SRAM PC850. I put about 700 miles on one on my geared hardtail, regularly cleaned and lubed. Then I put about 600 miles this past summer on my SS hardtail, this one has been cleaned and lubed twice this year. Both are still going strong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've used KMC & SRAM. I replace my SS chains frequently because I never want to break a chain again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Wipperman 1/8 singlespeed here heavier but minimal stretch in 8 months of hard riding. Haven't had as good luck with SRAM/shimano 8s 2plus a year

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dduck View Post
    Wipperman 1/8 singlespeed here heavier but minimal stretch in 8 months of hard riding. Haven't had as good luck with SRAM/shimano 8s 2plus a year
    I have got one on my SS too....only been a few hundred hard k's over a few months but there is absolutely no slackening in the chain so far. Has a couple of stiff links but assume they will loosen up in time. Doesn't run totally straight but under tension is fine. Nice looking chain.

HOV
    mtbr member

Re: Single speed chains that use a easy on , easy off link...

I've always used SRAM PC-1 chains. Made for SS, they cost like $12 and have a very easy to break master link.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Been running PC-971s past year and a half with no problem with the chain, but I have broken 3 or 4 SRAM links and am trying the Wipperman link now.

SPP
    Rigid.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Several KMC 3/32" SS specific chains with their master link, great running, long life, easy to use master link that never comes apart unless you want it to. I like their hollow pin chains.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)