Single Speed Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Single Speed Build

Picked up the first part of my rigid single speed build today. 2010 Vassago Jabberwocky, w/ODIS Fork, wheelset is being built (Stans ZTR Flow w/king hubs), going with Avid BB7 brakes and Avid 7 Speed Dial Levers. Chris King Headset, kinda up in the air about stem, handlebars, and seatpost, maybe some carbon parts here if I can find the extra $. Thinking about the "Fifteen G" S/S Crankset, anyone have any thoughts on this crankset??? I want to start with a solid platform with minimal upgrades in the future, but as always $ is a concern...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed Build-jabberwocky.jpg  

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    sounds like you will have a great platform. i would recommend used XTR 960 or 970 (or even 95X) cranks. they're cheap, lightweight, stiff, and simple. i have some 970s and love them. if you're set on the Fifteen G, go for it. i've heard lots of good things about them. i'm just not a fan of the styling.

Apr 2007
    I'd also suggest either xtr or xt cranks. Just built up my '10 Jabber (Army Green) with SLX cranks. No complaints thus far. Nice choice on the frame. I love mine.

mtbr member
    Stem and seatpost is easy. Thomson... silver or black. You can't go wrong with that color. There's a lot of carbon bars around... haven't really heard many complaints about edge, easton, or syntace. They all look nice too.

Couldn't tell you about the 15 G crankset but I can tell you a chris king bb to go with your hs would look sweet tucked behind an xt crankset. I have ZERO complaints about mine. Nice frame choice. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Love this frame!! Good choice!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed Build-jabber.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That's one pieceofshit bike!!...better to give it to me so she's not seen again....lol....awesome man....awesome

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Any thoughts on the TruVativ Stylo 1.1 GXP? LBS recommended it as an affordable option.

mtbr member
    That's one pieceofshit bike!!...better to give it to me so she's not seen again....lol....awesome man....awesome
    I know, why do I always buy junk, think I might hold onto it for a day or two though! lol

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    my buddy has the 15g and likes it. he says it's a bit more involved to set up if i recall correctly.
    Shimano does know cranks, so i tend to lean towards xtr. the stylo is what it is. A cheap basic crank. I have one, and rode it for a few years, but the bottom bracket sucks. It felt like gravel in like 2 weeks.
    Right now i'm running a shimano xtr m960 done up by RD at shawnee trail bike coatings and it's a very light, stiff, good looking crank. Reliable too. I've had the best luck with the xtr external bottom brackets over anyone elses.

Low Rep Count
    +1 on the XTR 960's. I have a set right now and love them. Have another set in the mail (I hope) that have already been modified and coated as noted above. Great cranks at a respectable price!

Love the frame color guys! Wish I would have known about these guys before I bought my GT. Vassago is only like 45 min from my house!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I dont like it either.Give it to me and i will ride it and wear it out for you.

mtbr member
    Love the frame color guys! Wish I would have known about these guys before I bought my GT. Vassago is only like 45 min from my house!
    LBS had a black frame, and the army green frame, as soon as I saw the green, I knew it was mine! Can't wait to get all the pieces parts assembled, look at the frame each and every day. I'm considering riding this bike in the Hampshire 100 in August, instead of my GF X-Caliber, not sure if I'm be ready to race it though???

mtbr member
    Finished with the build last night! Can't wait to see how this rig rides! Loaded up and heading to Camden, Maine, for a XC race on Sunday, just happens to be a MTB festival there this weekend. More than likely I'll race my X-cal on Sunday, figure the Jabberwocky might need some fine tuning., along with my skills riding it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed Build-img000036.jpg  

Apr 2007
    Yeah, you'll need a ride or two to adjust to the geo. Nice build.

I love mine. I am experimenting with a shorter stem currently. Also, Vassago featured my Jabber on the Jabberwocky page. (Green one).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    I dont like it either.Give it to me and i will ride it and wear it out for you.

SEE....he needs to give it to me first because I'll do more than just wear it out.....I'll beat the hell out of it. Then you can ride it.

mtbr member
    Took a practice lap on the course Saturday afternoon riding the Jabberwocky. I am amazed at how this bike feels, climbs very well, handles the tight technical stuff with ease, and roots & rocks with the rigid fork no problem, didn't beat me up like would have expected. I'm sold on Vassago products thus far! I raced my GF X-cal, came in 3rd in my class, but I can honestly say that it, the GF, just didn't feel as stable, and definitely not as good in the tight techy stuff. Almost wish I would have raced the Jab!

Low Rep Count
    Looks good! I am personally contemplating a race this weekend. Gotta see if I am available (ie, what does the wife already have planned). If I do race, it will be on the 1 speed (that's all I got) and it will be my first mtb race ever!

Glad to hear you placed! Awesome.

mtbr member
    Sweet build!

mtbr member
    Good luck on the upcoming race! Being your first race, just go and have fun, treat it like a normal fast paced ride with a bit more intensity and you'll do fine.

The Hampshire 100 is coming up and I'm leaning towards racing the Jab. Plans are to only ride the SS till this race. 100km, with over 7000' of climbing should be a piece of cake.... right?

Members who have read this thread: 0