Single Speed Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Single Speed Advice

I've just had 2 bikes stolen from my back garden in as many months and have decided to go for a single speed for my new bike as it will be easy to break down and keep it in my house at night. My plan is to built it around an on one Pompetamine disc frame but i need some advice. First off what gear ratio would be best for commuting in a city like Edinburgh? Im going to be running on slick 700c tyres and i am willing to do a bit of pushing up hills and am not to fussed about doing any extreme speeds. Second question is wheels. My dream for the rear wheel is a black rim, black spokes, black hub that has a disc and a free wheel cog on one side with a fixed cog on the other side. Would this be possible or would the disc mean the fixed cog is out of the question. Also would i have to get a wheel like this built and how much would it cost? Also does anyone have experience with the GPS trackers that fit into the head set of your bike?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    If you want a freewheel, a disc and a fixed gear, get a Tomicog for when you want to ride fixed. You won't have the disc brake when you are riding fixed, but you should be okay with just a front.

Gear ratio is kinda a personal thing. I have a 42/16 on my fixed gear for rolling New England terrain. Some people go bigger, others smaller.

Members who have read this thread: 0