Single Speed a 2007 Spec EPIC?- Mtbr.com
    Don't look back ....

Single Speed a 2007 Spec EPIC?

I'm tiring of the norm and want to start challenging myself a bit more. I've been doing some 30 milers on one gear (40/21) on my 2x9 setup just to test my spiritual side. My racing season was ended early due to the H1N1 forcing me to miss the first several races of the season, so I figured now's a good time to change it up a bit before spring time racing comes around.

I've read a few folks have SS'ed some Full Suspension bikes, and even have one reference of an older Epic. As far as I can tell with the shock off, on the 2007 EPIC Rear Suspension, the length from BB to Cassette is relatively fixed at 0-2.75"'s of travel. After 2.75"s, it changes a bit, thus probably no "magic gear" will fit the bill here. However, I'm going to mock it up and test some on my backyard trails.

I have pretty light setup as it is with a small frame coming in race weight at a few grams under 22lbs. I run a locked out SID in front and really tight Brain Setup in the rear. Without the shifting gear, I think it would be a fun ride. I'm a short guy 64.5", and haven't found a 29"er that works for my geometry needs, so I thought I should discover some 26" options like my own ride first.

My question is simple. I ride and race some rough trails and would be concerned about maintaining good chain tension. I've seen some tensioner units like Rennen and Surley. What are my best options for a 2007 Epic?

I did break a derailleur hanger not long ago, and had to shorten the chain on the trail and ride home SS. I never dropped the chain even though I was blasting my normal lines, enjoying every minute of the effort. Recommendations welcome and appreciated.

still riding
    you can only try. I did on my FS and turned out the chain grow way more(than I had hoped) as the suspension cycled thru the stroke so no go.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    this will work if you use a tensioner.

this one seems to work well:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...Conversion.htm
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    this one form Yess will work as well and be much cleaner
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/175...-Tensioner.htm
    I have a similar one on my Salsa single speed soon to be 1x6, made by ROOX from Europe. a friend has a 2008 Epic with a Paul Melvin and that seems to work great for an expert/semi-pro guy.

The surly just doesn't have enough travel to take out the slack during suspension movement as well as bouncing around on the trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

..ouch
    I'd be careful about gearing. I would think that mashing too small of a ring up front would produce less than optimal performance out of the fsr suspension.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I saw a guy using a Surly tensioner on an Epic. Whatever year they made the special edition pink one. He won a 19-29 Sport race on it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I used a YESS tensioner on my Racer-X (21.5lbs)....worked GREAT!....

but you'll need a chainguide....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Don't look back ....
    Thanks for all the input thus far guys!

One of my buddies has a Surly that he pulled from his Vertical dropout bike before he sold it. He has a real SS frame now. I think I'll give it a try for some testing.

Both the Yess Units look pretty nice. Even though I have a 2x9 (40/29 and 12-27), I can't remember the last time I had it in the small chainring except on the stand. My legs seem to be happiest in the 40/19 and 40/21. I'm faster on my favorite mixed sections running 40/19 as verified this weekend even though a few steep sections took some "manning up!"

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by RideToLive

One of my buddies has a Surly that he pulled from his Vertical dropout bike before he sold it. He has a real SS frame now. I think I'll give it a try for some testing.

Both the Yess Units look pretty nice. Even though I have a 2x9 (40/29 and 12-27), I can't remember the last time I had it in the small chainring except on the stand. My legs seem to be happiest in the 40/19 and 40/21. I'm faster on my favorite mixed sections running 40/19 as verified this weekend even though a few steep sections took some "manning up!"
    have fun with that chain stretch
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RideToLive

OH!...almost forgot....the YESS tensioner rigged to my RX would only accept an 18T as the biggest rear cog.....FYI
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Smile SS Epic

I would try a Paul's Melvin tensioner, I used one on my SS Epic (2005) and it worked great. Here is a link to a past post w/ photo of the Epic:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...95#post3351395.

Unfortunately the bike met my parking structure via the car rack and am no longer riding it, Here is a link to the FS SS I am riding now:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=373949.

I took the tensioner off and found a magic 32:18 gear, and switched out the rear shock with a Cane Creek Cloud 9. With 4" in front 5" suspension in back, the bike rides great as a SS.

Members who have read this thread: 0