Single/Geared/Sell- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Single/Geared/Sell

Ok I am a cross country racer and recently got a new race bike, Marin IFT. My old bike, a Giant Yukon, is currently geared but I am wondering whether I should keep it geared or go single speed. the Yukon will be my training bike and I will ride about 50% of the time. Also the drivetrain is currently in need of repair.

mtbr member
    I recently converted my Giant Iguana to singe speed. Part of it was that I no longer rode the bike with a full suspension bike in the stable, but now I ride the Iguana more then my Rush. However, I do not race mountain bikes. So the question for you is do you want to ride a bike that will most likely make you stronger and more efficient (SS) or ride the bike that you need to be comfortable with on race day on training rides? On the road, where I do race, I only have one training/racing bike, even though I have a perfectly good road bike that now serves as a grocery getter. I would rather be on my race bike and be comfortable on it, then be slightly stronger because of my heavier road bike and not feel good on my racer. One of my issues with the Giant and Cannondale that I ride is that they have such different geometry. This makes switching between bikes somewhat difficult. That is why my next SS bike is going to be a lot closer to my Cannondale's geometry. But this is just my opinion. Do what feels best to you,
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i say convert it you will grow to love it once you find the rigth gear combo and IMO it will make u a stronger rider

Retro Grouch

You've come to the right place..

Quote Originally Posted by devo5
    Ok I am a cross country racer and recently got a new race bike, Marin IFT. My old bike, a Giant Yukon, is currently geared but I am wondering whether I should keep it geared or go single speed. the Yukon will be my training bike and I will ride about 50% of the time. Also the drivetrain is currently in need of repair.
    I have looked at your case, I have considered all the usual criteria considering your racing background, the previous use of a Giant Yukon, your new bike purchase of a Marin IFT. So what you're telling us is you now have, what we call a "secondary" bike, due to your rent purchase of a new bike. You realize that you have the opportunity to design a new training/riding routine around a new to you bike. Now I wouldn't tell this to everyone, but in your case I think you are a prime candidate for a converted singlespeed. Please check our FAQ and then ask as many questions as you wish. Oh, and welcome to the world of singlespeed

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    race singlespeed!

My one says BRAP!

Members who have read this thread: 0