Single Double- Mtbr.com

Thread: Single Double

dirty hippy mountainbiker

Single Double

I have a friend coming in to the airport Sunday afternoon. I told him to pack only in backpacks. Preferably not more than two.

Initial tests of this rig suggest it'll work well enough for the three mile roll to the airport. It's a bit wobbly and the rear bike will fall over if I turn too tight, but I can't actually think of a compelling reason not to ride to around town. Not sure what the airport authority cops will think of it though.

-M

Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Some kind of custom fork would be the answer, like a dedicated trailering unit. But that's pretty insane.

I got the idea from a pic on the Ahearne Cylces website. That no doubt works better because the fork is shorter and mounted lower.

wot no bike?
    That looks mighty steep, especially considering he (and maybe you, too) will be wearing backpacks, ha! Why not ziptie the front wheel to the frame of the bike you're pulling so you both can ride home normally? At first I thought that was your intention.

-p

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Same...........

Surely you are bringing the front wheel for the 'trailer' bike??

C.

Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    That looks mighty steep, especially considering he (and maybe you, too) will be wearing backpacks, ha! Why not ziptie the front wheel to the frame of the bike you're pulling so you both can ride home normally? At first I thought that was your intention.

-p

You're joking right?

Your zip tie idea is preposterous. Then I'd have to cary a pair of dykes to cut them off! That's cearly a place for more bungie cords.

Maybe when I get there I'll hide the wheel and see if he goes for riding home on a trailabike!

-M

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Lol

W,

Actually pretty cool idea.
    The key would be finding another way to affix the fork low on the rear tire, without using panniers.
    A lot of possibilities come to my mind if that happens.
    Good luck, and keep us posted on the 'adventure'.
    Photos are always a nice touch!

C.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    You're joking right?

Your zip tie idea is preposterous. Then I'd have to cary a pair of dykes to cut them off! That's cearly a place for more bungie cords.

Maybe when I get there I'll hide the wheel and see if he goes for riding home on a trailabike!

-M

wot no bike?
    Your zip tie idea is preposterous.
    "Presposterous" is a bit dramatic to say the least, and now I'm thinking you misunderstood what I was suggesting. I meant that you should detatch the front wheel from the bike being transported, and ziptie (or otherwise secure) the front wheel you removed somewhere on the bike you're pulling so that you actually take it with you. That's all I meant.

Anyway, I'm so used to carrying a pocketknife with me that the thought of cutting the zipties is a non-issue. Bungy cords can be a PITA, zipties are easier, more secure, and you don't have to carry with you a pair of snips, just a pocketknife. But what do I know...

-p
    Last edited by pahearn; 09-07-2006 at 10:17 AM.

You might be right. I think the zip ties I have are the ones that are just strong enough that you can't break them by hand, but still weak enough to pop off when you start using them for what you'd intended.

Maybe velcrow?

-M

I had a couple other ideas:

1) Same frame with 20 inch wheels and a BMX fork. For cargo only.
    2) 700c fork respaced to 135mm + and fixed to the axle somehow w/o the rear rack. Maybe a longer threaded axle with a second set of nuts for the second bike. You could still use it to ride that way, but you'd have to make a front hub with a super long axle.

I'll try to get my wife to go with me and take pictures of the odessey. But I have a feeling she's going to think this is some king of stupid idea. If it is then I can't see it.

-M

----woof----

Hose clamps.

You might be right. I think the zip ties I have are the ones that are just strong enough that you can't break them by hand, but still weak enough to pop off when you start using them for what you'd intended.

Maybe velcrow?

-M
    Why not use some automotive hoseclamps to secure the lock to the rack? Probably stronger than velcro or zipties and easy to take on and off.

I thought of that too. The Fork mount, which is a Rockymount for a round Yak bar, is bolted through rack deck and the bungies are actually pretty effective at keeping the lock from rotating.

-M

highly visible
    Edit: nevermind.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 09-07-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

You realize I'm only towing the bike, and not the having my buddy ride it as pictured right? I just didn't feel like strapping on the wheel for the test.

I think I'll press on (because I'm so stoked on the idea that no reasoning will deter me). I don't think the load it's seeing quite aproached the mass of the bike.

Although I've been in a tow vehicle on two separate occasions when a wheel from the towed vehicle became airborne and overtook me. But I think my bad trailer mojo only works on internal-combustion tow vehicles.

-M

Out spokin'

What's this?!

You realize I'm only towing the bike, and not the having my buddy ride it ...
    Well, I've come to the party late and boy am I ever glad. Thus far I believe Glowboy's input is most appropriate!

What, are you trying to win $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos or something? Be sure not to forget the video camera.

--Sparty

P.S. And wear a clown suit.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Mocking is the ugly lovechild of jealousy and envy. Iíll do it. Itíll work and then youíll all go out and rig your bikes to do the same thing. You wait. You watch. You fly in to Reno and Iíll pick you up and you can buy me a beer and plate of black bean nachos for my genius!

Crickey the last voice I expected to hear here was that of reason.

-M!

Just hit it with speed
    I think it will work but shouldn't it be a double-single?
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

It worked PERFECTLY!!!

-M

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

YEAH, a clownsuit........

Exactly, how dare you actually think up a new or worthwhile idea.
    The next thing you know, you will want to ride a 29" bike without gears.
    Maybe even with a disc brake setup and a rigid fork.

CLOWN SUIT................that is ironic.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Well, I've come to the party late and boy am I ever glad. Thus far I believe Glowboy's input is most appropriate!

What, are you trying to win $10,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos or something? Be sure not to forget the video camera.

--Sparty

P.S. And wear a clown suit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Nice

thanks for the photos.
    C.

-M

http://www.rainypeak.com/

I got em on eBay for $40. Comfy except for the nylon sweatpatches. and I wouldn't pay the full price unless their stitching is better than what I got...

-M

wot no bike?
    Are those M545s on the blue bike? I love those things. I just picked up a set of M424s (the nylon-caged version) for one of my other bikes and am hoping they hold up as well as my M545s.

-p

No, they're Mcrapfortygarbage. whatever the dirtasscheap version is. Got them for less than $40, and they weren't even worth that. Hopefully the nicer ones are worthy, but I didn't want to spend the cash for the nice ones with what looks like glass reinforced plastic cages.

-M

Members who have read this thread: 0